RC Enthusiast

what gear greese

dont wana have to order diff greese and wait for it to be shipped and i have no hobby shops local. so what kind of greese can i buy from say walmart or autostore to repack the diff gears and tranny gears.. thanks

RC Champion
    Lucas red and tacky works well. Synthetic wheel bearing grease is good too. Both are at any auto parts store. Be sure to clean the gears good before using different grease.

RC Champion
    Sorry, I would just use the red and tacky on the diff gears. Stick to black grease on the tranny gears.

RC Competitor
    I have been using the cheap marine wheel bearing greese from wally world in the tranny. Havent had any issues with it. And a relatively cheap white lithium greese in the diff itself.

RC Champion
    +1 Those are good choices too.

RC Racer
    i would only use red and tacky on the trans gears. black grease gets spun off very easily and will need to be re applied often.

white lithium shouldnt be used anywhere because it is too thin and will either leak out of the diff or spin off the gears. you can use black grease in the diff too make it more open.

i use red and tack on everything, it lasts the longest and stays where i put it, plus it adds resistance to the diff and doesnt leak out.

I use white lithium grease on the 3 gears in the gearbox, and red wheel bearing grease inside the diff.
    No grease on the pinion/spur...
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Champion
    I just stick to black grease on the tranny gears because that's what traxxas uses. It does fly off some, but a thin coat always stays on the gears. I'll use a little bit of red and tacky on it next time though, as long as it's not going to rob power. I already have it in my diff, and it definitely stays put.

What do you guys like to use to apply grease from a large container? I ended up using a small 2ml syringe that came with some children's Advil.

RC Racer
    i just take a smaller flat head screwdriver and scoop it out. to me that has always been the easiest. i have never tried a syringe though. ill have to try that next time i need to grease everything

the red and tacky needs to be run a bit before it rolls easily again. it seems to spin the excess grease off within 1 or 2 higher speed passes. then the perfect amount is left behind and it stays there for months

I thought traxxas used white grease on the 3 gears inside the gearbox? Maybe it turned black because of dirt? I do not use the red bearing grease on those gears because the lithium works so well. I do like it inside the differential though...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Racer
    I already have some marine bearing wheel grease and alien8edrc said that it works well in the tranny, what does that mean? Should I get some red and tacky as well and then that will be enough for me to fill the tranny with? Did he mean put the marine grease on the gears or in the diff. I am confused and have never cleaned my transmission

Heavier grease in the diff
    Lighter grease on the trans gears.
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Enthusiast
    thanks guys lol I know it took me forever to reply and yea I bought some auto bearing grease. I am getting rid of my traxxas stampede vxl its nice and fast as heck. I am willing to trade for brushed emaxx or brush less system

RC Enthusiast
    Igot a post in the market place showing pictures

Selling your Stampede might get you kicked off this forum. (just kidding)

I know you've already got your supplies, but I use Bad Horsie grease inside the diff and any lithium-based grease on the gears. Your automotive grease probably has lithium in it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...