Thread: speed

RC Competitor

speed

i have been thinking about making a truggy stampede and i was wondering if it is possible to hit 60-70mph on 2s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Curious on why you would want to try it on 2S? it would take a high kv motor and gearing. Batteries are cheap relative to the price you are going to pay to build the truck.

RC Competitor
    was just curious i have some 2s lipo just wasn't sure if it could be done

RC Qualifier
    You will need a 4 pole motor in the 4500-5000kv range and aggressive gearing like 18-20T pinion and 52T spur. I am guessing it will get hot fairly quick. Probably good for some speed runs, but probably not bashing around. Maybe someone else has tried it and will reply.

RC Qualifier
    3s lipo with a 17-18t pinion is the easiest and cheapiest way to get 60mph+, with everything stock.
    But you will get overheat issue. I did this, I could drive 3-5 min and had to wait for everything to cool down.
    Now, I changed the motor with a 2400kv castle, Mamba Max Pro esc, 4s lipo and I get reach 70mph+ (when I put the 22t pinion) without overheating issue.
    For speed session like this, I recommend you to get some asphalt tire like Jconcept G-locs.
    Last edited by emmanhello; 12-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.

RC Competitor
    will that mamba max pro and 2400kv caste reach 70mph with a 3s without overheating issues?

RC Qualifier
    The castle 2400kv 1415 can reach 60mph with 3s and stock tire. (75-77mph on 4s, that's crazy with stock tire I don't recommend them for speed run)
    You can always buy higher kv motor (faster rpm) but I don't know much about them, I only tried the castle 2400kv. Stock Velineon is 3500kv btw.
    As you increase the kv, you increase the heat generated and reduce the torque capability. (Because the torque depend on the power of your lipo battery)

RC Competitor
    thats fine i can probably just get like a 10k mah 3s lipo that will last forever and use my 2s lipos for suspension tuning and such. Thanks

A 10Ah battery will not only last forevery when driving, but also when charging... you might consider 2 x 5Ah. One in the car and one on the charger.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    i use one of traxxas chargers and thats fine i usually charge up all my batterys and then go play with them and when all the batteries are done then im done till they all charge. Usually where i play is a little ways from my dorm and there is no plug in so

Quote Originally Posted by ITh4n4tosI View Post
    i use one of traxxas chargers and thats fine i usually charge up all my batterys and then go play with them and when all the batteries are done then im done till they all charge. Usually where i play is a little ways from my dorm and there is no plug in so
    That makes sense
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Just another thing, the "c" rating of the lipo battery is very important, don't get any battery under 35c with the 2400kv motor.
    I say that because I have a 2s 25c 5000mah lipo that is not strong enough for my setup, the car "lag" a lot.
    higher mAh= more play time
    higher "c" = more torque.
    Higher voltage 7.4v->2s or 11.1v->3s =more speed
    But any kind of battery should be fine if you keep your stock setup.

The better the battery the more punch when it comes to c rating.so never get cheap batteries because they dont last long...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by ITh4n4tosI View Post
    ha, cant get through the 2 hrs of runtime before something breaks, or I get bored lol.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???