Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Jacks Drag Jato build

So I decided to build a Jato Dragster after seeing a few on here.....I have the Traxxas funny car and really wish there was a nitro powered variant...and after a littler searching I ran across a member on here building his own dragster kits using the Jato platform!....PERFECT!!....so I snatched up a Jato and starting testing in stock form to acquire a baseline.

Testing tonight went well. The faithful 3.3 propelled the JATO to a 3.0@54mph in 132ft. Not bad for a 2wd nitro wheelie machine!....and it was carrying the front wheels all the way down the track...huge problem when you need to steer!...haha.

Next up I will be testing the brand new RLC Performance Drag conversion chassis for the JATO....I cant even begin to say how excited I am to see this thing in person!...more details as I get them.

-Jack

RC Champion
    good luck on the conversion!!!

RC Qualifier
    Good job jack!! Pretty respectable for a stock platform jato!!!
    Really nice pics btw. Your gonna throw rocks at that sucker when u get the RLC KIT. Have fun!! Your gonna love it.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Racer
    haha!...thanks!....after seeing how well yours is hooking up staying straight, I hope I can finally keep it pinned out of the hole and throw down some seal level ET's .....I think 2.5@56-57mph is possible with a stock 3.3 in the RLC chassis....might give my electric funny car a run for its money!...

RC Qualifier
    When do u expect to receive your RLC kit???

RC Racer
    Received it today!!!

....I quickly opened up the box and started tearing down the Jato....and in about an hour the transformation was complete!

....we had a little rain here today but it let up and a few hours later my "test track" was dry enough for some shakedown passes. The one thing I noticed with this setup is how much easier it was to make a clean pass and stay straight.... this thing tracks on rails outside of the first 15 feet. The car left smooth and felt so easy I was sure it would be a slow pass...and then bam....I was wrong

2.6@55mph!....4 tenths faster?..are you kidding me!!!??? this setup ROCKS.....this was on anacondas.....no track prep....no suspension tuning or tweaking....NOTHING....just bolted the jato guts into it and ran it!...I am confident that if I can get a 2.6 this easily then with a bit of tweaking a 2.4 is in the future...STOCK 3.3!!....thats as fast as I could go with the 3 cell electric dragster!!!....I cant believe im about to say this....but I think the electric guys have some competition here. With this setup working fully and a worked 3.3 I am expecting bottom 2's....and this thing is over 5 pounds!!!!....unreal!....to say im pleased is a gross understatement. My hats off to Rich at RLC Performance....this kit is a winner. More to come!!

RC Competitor
    Good luck hope i goes well.

RC Qualifier
    very nice truck and results are you going to run a body ,also you run in to more problems when you add more power to the senerio ,so the lack of big power might help you keep the tires hook and the chassis going where you want it to

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    very nice truck and results are you going to run a body ,also you run in to more problems when you add more power to the senerio ,so the lack of big power might help you keep the tires hook and the chassis going where you want it to
    Yes I will be running a body. Just have it off for now for test and tune.

RC Champion
    That Jato looks super sweet..... A nice funny car body or even a pro-stock body would just be what is needed to sweeten your ride.

I just bought a Jato and cannot believe how fast it is... really hits and gets!!!!!

What kind of drag wheels and tires will you be using?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Yea Im on the search for the perfect pro-stock body....I cant seem to find anything with the right specs though....

Im not sure yet on the tires...but I may use foams for now until I can find something better......I will continue testing on anacondas in the mean time tho to see just how fast I can go on them....I hope to see 2.4's before needing a foam tire.
    Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.

RC Racer
    got a few more runs in tonight before mother nature made me pack it in for the night......track was damp....but manageable. had 2 back to back 2.6's at 52-53mph...then took a video of a 2.7 run. May need foams if I dont prep the ground...I think if its dry this weekend I will do a little soda treatment to the ground and see if I can get it to hook a little better. Also need to tighten up the diff. But man is it a blast to drive!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrvxX2vQSl8
    Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-14-2012 at 11:24 PM.

RC Racer
    Slapped some foams on and hit the track again!....now it is consistently hitting 2.6 run after run with ease....but the MPH is down about 4-5 from rubber. I expected a little drop but now its trapping 46-47mph....this seems like a pretty big loss......I can only assume the foams have changed the top-end gearing too much by not growing....and now the motor isnt staying in the power band as long.... soooooo back to the garage to see what we can do to pick up more top-end without losing the traction advantage!...I may lock the diff now and switch back to anacondas and see if they hook a little better....also mounted a body to it!

RC Qualifier
    Yes sir, mph loss if definnatly from the foam not growing. I've had anacondas in the past have as much as 18" rollout on the top end. Ur foams brand new are only 13.29" rollout. Guess it comes down to ones combination and what works best for different surfaces although, it sounds like ur having alot of fun with the car!

Bswift

RC Racer
    Threw the anacondas back on and locked up the diff....MPH is back....and then some!...lol...but still only managing 2.6's ... time for some more tinkering....lol... saw a new personal best trap though!....58mph!...but still a 2.6 ET...lol...loving every second!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRmMkHEr6A

Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.

RC Champion
    What is the wheel base on your new Jato drag car build?

Will one of the Traxxas funny car bodies fit?

Looks nice!!!!

Did the foam tires hook up better/ less wheel spin?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Wheelbase is the same as the dragster now. And yes the kit was designed to use the funny car body. The foams do get better traction yes!

RC Racer
    New personal best tonight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKGoH7FBkY

RC Qualifier
    Holy moly that thing is leaving and getting it. A 2.58 @ 51 mph in 132 feet. That thing has to be ported to death on 50%
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@HPL View Post
    New personal best tonight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKGoH7FBkY
    Last edited by slayer17; 12-17-2012 at 10:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Just a completely stock 3.3 on 30%.....hope to have a pipe and carb on it soon to see what a couple of easy bolt-ons can do on the stock 3.3!!!

Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-17-2012 at 10:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    No way is that thing stock your faster then out of the box electric funny car
    Just a completely stock 3.3 on 30%.....hope to have a pipe and carb on it soon to see what a couple of easy bolt-ons can do on the stock 3.3!!!

RC Qualifier
    man that thing looks sick from the front. Looks evil

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer17 View Post
    No way is that thing stock your faster then out of the box electric funny car
    ....so stock it hurts. lol...soon that will change!

RC Racer
    where can you get that conversion?

RC Racer
    I can get you one.....pm me for details.....

RC Qualifier
    Nice build. I love how straight in takes off out of the hole.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    Nice build. I love how straight in takes off out of the hole.
    Yes!!...thats just one of the benefits from this conversion....I cant say enough about how well this thing went together and needed basically NO adjustment to dial in. I am really confident I will hit my goal of 2.4 seconds in 132ft.

I have decided to name this conversion a "DRATO" ....

Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-18-2012 at 08:59 AM.

RC Competitor
    that thing is wicked fast
    T-Maxx 2.5r
    Stampede xl5

RC Racer
    Thanks!...I hope to get faster .....
    http://www.facebook.com/RCDrags

RC Racer
    did a little weight reduction....EZ start/hardware delete. ....hope to lay down some track prep and make a few nice passes soon!

RC Champion
    Looks as though the barcodes are turning into a set of drag slicks.....LOL
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    nice build who sells this kit?

Jerry

RC Racer
    Update: ran a new personal best again tonight with a little traction compound!

I also ran a 165ft run just to see what it could do... 2.8@58mph

I'm super pleased with the performance I'm getting out of this simple setup! Stock 3.3 power!!! Now it's time for some bolt-ons.
    Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    what surface are you running on black top or concrete , mabey a new set of pin tires befor you do the bolt ons and the head cut lol great pass by the way

RC Racer
    Thanks!....im running on concrete(behind a hardware store) .... I think these barcodes are about slicks now....and with the traction compound they hook dead. Now I feel I can add more power to the mix and start to see some lower ET's for sure. I am proud to have hit my goal of 2.4 seconds though with only the stock 3.3!!!....this is really a potent motor for its size. I would like to see 2.2 seconds with bolt-ons....then finally a BB motor and some bottom 2's!...haha!!!....it never ends!!!!

-Jack

RC poster
    are these chassis plates for sale? or did you make them?
    Jerry

RC Qualifier
    always a quest for speed lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Invaderkart View Post
    are these chassis plates for sale? or did you make them?
    Jerry
    They are for sale....PM and I will get you the info....

RC Qualifier
    Update: ran a new personal best again tonight with a little traction compound!

I also ran a 165ft run just to see what it could do... 2.8@58mph

I'm super pleased with the performance I'm getting out of this simple setup! Stock 3.3 power!!! Now it's time for some bolt-ons.
    Man!!! That's awsome!!

I can relate when u say," pleased with performance". I am speechless when it comes to performance of this chassis configuration. I just WORKS. it actually responds to changes predictably.

Don't give up on bone stock yet. I think she has more in her.

Again. AWSOME!!

Bswift

RC Racer
    Thanks!...I may go out tonight and run again if I get a chance....its finally cooling off here in south florida....DA is good tonight