RC Qualifier

new revo or used?

Ok so im hooked on the revo! My question is: is it worth the cash to buy a new 3.3 revo or to find one used on ebay or something like that. I bought my first revo a couple weeks ago used on Craigslist. I still don't have everything to get it going but its old....like one of the first gens 2.5 27mhz. I would have to save for a couple months to afford a brand new one but if its the best choice i can wait. I just wanted to get some feed back from the vets on here. Thanks for any input.

RC Qualifier
    if i were you and had the patients and money, i would wait and get it new. UNLESS, you like not really knowing what your getting. with used nitro you don't know whether that person actually broke in the motor correctly or just ran it right out of the box. i wish i would have never bought my used tmaxx 2.5 27mhz, i ended up having to get a new piston and sleeve, which was a third of what i paid for the truck, and i had to buy all brand new tires cuz the way the guy mounted the tires before me. unless you really enjoy surprises and ripping trucks apart and inspecting every little nook and cranny for broken stuff. The only advice i can give you if you decide to go with used is to look that truck over very carfully and make sure you know whats all messed up(what you can see) and point those out and start subtracting from the price the guy wants. wish i would have bought a new 3.3 2.4ghz. i went out the next day and bought a radio and reciever(2.4) for more than i spent on the truck. . make sure you post some pics when you get one.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Champion
    I'd buy used.

I bought the red revo truck above along with a slayer 3.3, a Tmaxx with OS .18 motor, and spare 3.3 motor for $250.
    The revo with the Beatle body was $50 and had no engine or wheels, but had the traxxas red pushrods and turnbuckles and a new big block kit.

Sold the Tmaxx for $65, slayer for $125 but took the 3.3 out and put a 2.5 in.
    Put the 3.3 into the $50 revo, sold the spare 3.3 for $40.
    Then ended up selling the red revo for $300 since the $50 revo ran great.

So in the end, I had a nice revo with a 3.3 and ended up with about $230 extra in my pocket.

I ended up putting that $230 towards a large rc purchase with my brother.
    3 fully built Revos, 2 with picco .26 and one with a picco .28, and 9 cases of spare parts, at least $3000 worth, and most of it is still new. Also came with 5 spektrum telemetry receivers and 1 dx3s transmitter.

Left to right, the $50 revo, revo 3.3 built from spare parts, one of the built Revos.

Maybe tomorrow ill snap a few pics of all the cars, I just got back in the hobby 2 months ago and we have accumulated 12 rc cars, all bought used and all run great.

Also, to put this into perspective, I have around $400 into everything, and have 2 Revos with picco .26 motors, a revo with a 3.3, a stampede, a dx2s ( sold a few parts to buy this) and $1500 worth of spare parts.
    Last edited by Zepher; 12-08-2012 at 05:27 AM.

RC Champion
    New, unless you like to tinker and have the patience needed to make used ones work.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Racer
    I bought mine used.... but for 20 bucks I couldn't pass it up I have spent over $400 on it so far... was a 2.5 completely converted to a 3.3. With rpm a arms trx aluminum pushrods and turnbuckles. Ordered a new era motor mount and a lrp .28. Will have all steel RR gears and steel drive shafts. If I didn't get it so cheap I wouldn't of dumped so much money in it. I think a used revo is the way to go if your gonna replace alot of the stock parts and can't leave well enough alone like me.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys for the input. Since i have used revo i think my next one will be a new one unless i get a good deal on a newer used one. I do wanna learn alot about them so i have my old revo to work on and upgrade along the way. And i can have a new one to actually be the one to break in myself.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. Since i have used revo i think my next one will be a new one unless i get a good deal on a newer used one. I do wanna learn alot about them so i have my old revo to work on and upgrade along the way. And i can have a new one to actually be the one to break in myself.
    Around here, used rtr Revos are around $200, a new one is around $600.
    You have $400 to buy a brand new motor, body, and wheels/tires, upgrade to all RPM arms and knuckles, then you can have a nearly new upgraded revo that you can break in yourself and will be extremely durable for less than a brand new bone stock unit.

RC Qualifier
    i don't know if its just me or not but i have yet to break a single a arm in any of my trucks, the stock work just fine with me, the only reason i buy used is cuz i love taking them apart and making them like new again. just make sure you see with your own eyes that everything is working before you buy it
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Racer
    If you go used you'll be working on the truck for a while and spending time at the hobby shop. If you go new you'll be ready to bash and good for a while.

RC Champion
    I picked this up last week for $100,
    [IMG]

These red parts are almost $80 alone.

Put on the slayer boxes and stock fuel tank along with a 3.3 motor,

A friend happened to have an extra body sitting in his car that we cut to fit my revo,
    Last edited by Zepher; 01-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    I got a complete running slayer for $100. I then converted it to a Revo using spare parts.

One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    Wow!...those are great looking trucks. I guess ill keep an eye out for some killer deals like you guys got. The more revo's the better....lol.

RC Racer
    New Revo might not be worth it, but nothing beats the feeling of any new thing you get to unwrap
    |Traxxas|Revo|3.3|#5309|FIN|

RC poster
    Keep an eye on ebay. I bought a new one for $510 delivered to Alaska. a new one at my lhs is $615. Waiting for the temp to come up a bit to break her in. Now I can't stop looking for others.

RC Racer
    you can't just say "new or used", because it depends on the condition of the truck, and the price, and you personally. if its cheap and broken, good. if its expensive and broken, bad. if its cheap, and broken, and you don't want to fix it, bad. if its cheap and good, and you do want to fix it, great.

i just got my first traxxas. i've been into hpi for years, and my friend got the slayer pro a few weeks ago so i was like oh alright, i'll get one too. so i found the revo for 250 on craigslist, 3.3, analog radio, pretty much stock. talked the guy down to 175, and done. i know what to look for, i checked the compression, looked it over, it seemed mint. only problem i ran into after running it a few times, which i should have known from the start, was the one way bearing was slipping, big deal, 20 bucks in parts to replace the bearing and shaft. so i got some hpi wheels/tires used for 30 bucks on ebay, ordered some led's, threw on a fuel filter, waterproofed the reverse and throttle servos, and electronics, got another flat battery pack (came with one), and i'm done for now. so i'm like maybe into it 225 for everything. not bad right? it really depends on what you buy.

my friend got the slayer pro new, and it was expensive. is it better for him? probably, since he's new to the hobby, but i'm sure i could have found him something, but he has the money to blow and didn't want to wait. i waited a month until i found something.

all my current cars i've bought used, because its just fiscally responsible. you just have to know how to fix them, and know what to look for, and know what a good deal is. why would i go out and spend 400+ on an hpi rs4, if i can get one for 150 and its functioning. out of the box i'm already doing adjustable turnbuckles, better air filter, adjustable shocks, new wheels/tires, etc... so at that point, should i spend 400+everything i'm going to do anyways, or 150, and have the same exact car, with a few scratches. but like i said, it depends on you and the specific used car. a blanket statement, used or new, is useless. it's all subjective.