Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

New Rpm gear box

Finally there is a good option for a stronger gearbox. I can't wait to be able to get this on my Stampede.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...ires/73614.htm

RC Racer
    What's wrong with the ones made by Integy, Pro-Line, FLM, Hot Racing, GH, etc?
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Racer
    The aluminum ones add extra rear weight to the stampede when it's already too heavy in the rear. The Proline one is just too expensive. The Rpm has the arm mounts separate from the gearbox like a nitro stampede. I think this will be a great upgrade for the trucks.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I dont know what to think about this transmission. Looks like they pretty much just took a stock plastic style gearbox and added a 3mm aluminum plate which still wont dissipate a whole lot more heat than a stock transmission with an aluminum motor mounting plate, especially since it is still an enclosed motor style which restricts air flow. I also cant see the suspension arm mounts holding during some huge air landings unless a lock nut is used on the other side. i could see those screws pulling through, especially if one of the rear skidplate chassis braces gave out. They took away two fastening points from the skidplate to the transmission and two mounting screw points at the arm mounts, which means if the skidplate gives out it will tear away from the trans easier and take the suspension mount and arm with it. They should have kept the other suspension arm mount hole.

I think they sacrificed some strength at the arm mounts for the convenience of easier transmission removal, and really its not the removal of the transmission that is disliked, its having to fix whats inside. At least all these companies are stepping up and coming out with new parts on a regular basis, but i dont think i will be buying this transmission unless it gets some amazing feedback.

If youre concerned about an aluminum transmission offsetting the rear weight of the truck, toss an aluminum bulkhead on the front to even it up again, its win win.

Just my 2 cents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Shoot man I was almost going to post this. Haha

I really like my REM one. This is a new good addition for upgrades. I can see people purchasing these for color preferences maybe. I guess if you were to bust your stock gearbox and wanted to go back to plastic this could/ would be another alternative. I'm curious about the price of it. Possibly $20 ish??

On another note I'm not sure i'd buy this one for dropping motor temps, you'd be way better off buying an all aluminum one for that.

BTW good find!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    This is awesome. I always wanted rpm to make one.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Some people feel that the stock gear box can flex but I do not agree. But based on other RPM parts I feel this one may flex causing mesh issues. And the motor plate is barely attached to the case. I would not run that case unless you have to. The stock one does just fine.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    The only thing I've ever broken on my stampede is the gearcase. I always break one of the arm mounts on the case. The main advantage I see to this is if you do happen to break an arm mount, you could get just that piece to replace it and it would be a lot easier and faster to replace arm mounts then an entire gearcase. It mounts the same as a Nitro stampede gearbox does and I've never broken one of those. The nice thing about having an aluminum motor plate is that the motor screws can be tightened down more resulting in less chance of the motor moving and gear mesh being changed. I've seen that happen on slash's at the track.

RC Champion
    My problem with that case is how the motor plate is attached to the case. Its just three short screws going into plastic. All the cases I have dealt with that used a plastic case and aluminum plate had 4 screws that go through the case and into the motor plate creating a sandwich effect. The rpm one looks like an accident waiting to happen. Especially with how common high torque 4 poles have become.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    here is my 2 cents worth. i like the idea of new parts, especially from rpm. i love the color options, but eventually the plastic threads will strip out. i know that black rpm motor protector i am using on my build has listed in the instructions, not to overtighten the screws. they arent kidding either. i didnt strip one, but i could see how easy it would be to strip one out. i am running a proline transmission, and i am already having problems with stripped out threads. i think if special care is taken when assembling the new rpm trans, that it could be worth trying one out. i am now hooked on alloy ever since i put the rem alloy trans together.thanks for letting me share.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Shoot man I was almost going to post this. Haha

I really like my REM one. This is a new good addition for upgrades. I can see people purchasing these for color preferences maybe. I guess if you were to bust your stock gearbox and wanted to go back to plastic this could/ would be another alternative. I'm curious about the price of it. Possibly $20 ish??

On another note I'm not sure i'd buy this one for dropping motor temps, you'd be way better off buying an all aluminum one for that.

BTW good find!!
    $29 bucks for the case. You can also order the fully assembled kit for slash, but theres no price listed.

Take a look at the suspension arm mounts, To me it doesnt look solid at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 12-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.

RC Champion
    ya baldy
    dosent look beefy enought .maybe the rpm plastic blend will do its job
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I think with 1 longer screw in the back with a lock nut, it will be stronger than stock. Just my 2c. The skid plate will provide enough of a platform to hold it all together. With the exception of their 2wd c-blocks years and years ago, rpm does not release products that dont work(unlike proline plastic). Baldy, if you buy one of these and break it, and rpm does not cover it, I will cover your loss...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

I was just directed to this thread by rag6 and you guys bring up some good points. Then again, some of you sound like you are brutal on your equipment and could probably break a cast iron trans case.

I'm all for this RPM trans. Closest thing to the original Magnum trans yet. And I'm still running truck close to 20 years old with that setup and haven't ran into any major problems. An occasional broken arm mount, but hey, it sure beats having to replace your entire trans case like on the stock trans and many of the aftermarket offerings.

I just now noticed the sorta shady aluminum plate mounting layout that ReaperGN mentioned. I totally agree that it doesn't look too good. Their current design would be bulletproof if they would also drill and tap the motor plate so that the trans case screws would go all the way through the cases and thread into the plate (much like the original Magnum trans and all the Associated, Losi, Kyosho, etc. transmissions). Whether or not they do that before it's released isn't a big issue in my mind because I will do the mod before this trans ever sees a chassis.

As far as the aluminum motor plate not helping with heat; totally not true. If any of you own another brand car with an aluminum plate and plastic trans, you will know that the motor plate will absorb quite a bit of heat during a run. The entire plate on my SC10 gets quite warm after a full pack, so it's definitely effective. Is it as effective as a complete aluminum trans? No way, but then again, I run 2S batteries and do 99% of my driving on a track with proper gearing, so heat has never been anywhere near as much of a concern as suspension geometry or my motor staying where I put it.

Still don't quite understand the logic behind one of the arm mount screws going all the way through and into the trans case. Aside from no benefit that I can think of, it will limit your squat angle adjustment. I will most likely cut the tab off the trans case and run two of the longer arm mount screws and nuts on the top side ( pretty much like all the RC10's back in the day). Not that I've ever really had a problem with them coming loose on any of my cars, but using nuts on the top will be all the added insurance you will ever need.

My only real concern at this time is whether the infamous RPM nylon will have too much flex. Hopefully these cases will be beefy enough that it won't be an issue.

Oh, and here's a pic of one of my SRT's that I posted in the Slash forum. Truck is nearly 20 years old and uses independent arm mounts, much like the RPM trans, and I never had any problems even without using lock nuts.

Last edited by harry697; 12-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.

We really need a rep from RPM to chime in on this forum and share some info and maybe some pre-release thoughts and feedback. Kinda like Matt from Proline joined the forum and.............well he really wasn't much help and seemed to ignore most of the concerns about their product, but you know what I'm getting at. Hopefully RPM would be more receptive to our concerns.

I'm buying one as soon as they're released. If the trans hits the streets exactly how it's pictured, I'll just do a few tweaks like drilling and tapping the motor plate so the trans case screws will thread into it. I'll also cut the tab off the side so I can use squat shims under the arm mounts. I wonder if the RPM mounts have the standard 1.5 anti-squat built into them? Either way, I really think this trans is gonna be the winner for best racing trans on a Traxxas 2wd.

EDIT: After taking another look, it appears that the lower dust cover screw will also hold th motor plate to the trans, much like the PL trans. Reason I say that is because I don't see any threads in the aluminum plate. If so, there's the 4 screw locations that ReaperGN was asking for. Maybe not all of them go all the way through the trans cases, but it should still be enough to keep the plate from flexing too much. I would still like to see the main trans housing bolts attach to the plate though.
    Last edited by harry697; 12-08-2012 at 09:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Few words---->Im going to Pass
    Well I was just eat'n sum pede and drink-n a slash

RC Champion
    hey guys here is a install link for the trans
    just to give a difrent prospective >link

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys here is a install link for the trans
    just to give a difrent prospective >link
    Nice find! Looks like the two screws that mount the motor plate in the center (around the output shaft) are 25mm. That means they go all the way through the cases. Between those and the other screws that hold it on, it should be plenty stout. Not sure what kind of running some of you guys are doing, but I don't see any issues for what I'm gonna use it for.

RC Champion
    hey harry are you going to race with it?
    just from what your saying i fell like im asking the silly question

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey harry are you going to race with it?
    just from what your saying i fell like im asking the silly question
    That's the plan. Will most likely get one for my beater Slash too. I've mainly been looking for a trans for an LCG race Slash project. A full aluminum trans isn't ideal for racing and the PL trans was a big flop, so this looks like the best option.

RC Champion
    I'm sold on it

Heck I dont think RPM has made a trans case since the RC10's
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    I'm sold on it

Heck I dont think RPM has made a trans case since the RC10's

Ya know, I didn't even think about that! Sounds about right though.

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    We really need a rep from RPM to chime in on this forum and share some info and maybe some pre-release thoughts and feedback. Kinda like Matt from Proline joined the forum and.............well he really wasn't much help and seemed to ignore most of the concerns about their product, but you know what I'm getting at. Hopefully RPM would be more receptive to our concerns.
    Reps from other manufacturers are not permitted to offer support for their products on the Traxxas forum. It is the policy of Traxxas that they offer support on their own forums at their own expense. If someone from RPM began to offer support or conduct marketing, he or she would be politely yet firmly requested to cease and desist. IDK what the problem with Matt was, but perhaps he was just adhering to the rules.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    The RPM rear mounts are very similar to the nitro stampede rear arm mounts. Those have always been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Reps from other manufacturers are not permitted to offer support for their products on the Traxxas forum. It is the policy of Traxxas that they offer support on their own forums at their own expense. If someone from RPM began to offer support or conduct marketing, he or she would be politely yet firmly requested to cease and desist. IDK what the problem with Matt was, but perhaps he was just adhering to the rules.

Good point. Forgot about that.

RC Racer

I'm buying one as soon as they're released. If the trans hits the streets exactly how it's pictured, I'll just do a few tweaks like drilling and tapping the motor plate so the trans case screws will thread into it. I'll also cut the tab off the side so I can use squat shims under the arm mounts. I wonder if the RPM mounts have the standard 1.5 anti-squat built into them? Either way, I really think this trans is gonna be the winner for best racing trans on a Traxxas 2wd.

EDIT: After taking another look, it appears that the lower dust cover screw will also hold th motor plate to the trans, much like the PL trans. Reason I say that is because I don't see any threads in the aluminum plate. If so, there's the 4 screw locations that ReaperGN was asking for. Maybe not all of them go all the way through the trans cases, but it should still be enough to keep the plate from flexing too much. I would still like to see the main trans housing bolts attach to the plate though.
    100% agree with you in every word you stated. I have been around rc's for over 25years and have seen a lot of changes with rc cars over that time. The major differeneces between the RPM, associated, hpi, losi, kyosho, etc is..............The color options. This design has worked for years in all the other vehicles so it should work just fine in a Traxxas vehicle. Especially with great the frist Magnum trannys were.

Btw nice SRT. I wish Traxxas would make some new vehciles as cool as the old ones were.

Quote Originally Posted by vwjuice63 View Post
    I wish Traxxas would make some new vehciles as cool as the old ones were.
    They do, they're called Stampedes! They were cool when they were first released and not a whole lot has been changed, and they still got game.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I think with 1 longer screw in the back with a lock nut, it will be stronger than stock. Just my 2c. The skid plate will provide enough of a platform to hold it all together. With the exception of their 2wd c-blocks years and years ago, rpm does not release products that dont work(unlike proline plastic). Baldy, if you buy one of these and break it, and rpm does not cover it, I will cover your loss...
    My friend, i am gonna hold you to this one! Lol. Looks like ill be doing a full RPM build soon, which should be fairly cheap and easy considering i already have a ton of brand new black RPM parts collecting dust in the parts bins. I think the only parts i dont have are this transmission case and the skidplates. And once its all done, i WILL bash it to death!

You know, of all the plastic p2de parts that rpm could make stronger or more durable using their plastic, why havent they come out with a chassis for the p2de? Its one of the most commonly broken parts on these trucks.

RC Champion
    Unless RPM put some beefy supports in a chassis made from their nylon would flex all over the place. Probably would never break but I doubt the truck would ever be predictable.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Unless RPM put some beefy supports in a chassis made from their nylon would flex all over the place. Probably would never break but I doubt the truck would ever be predictable.
    True enough, but with the side rails like the stock chassis i would think the flex would be minimal. Buy hey, they allegedly fixed the trans case by mounting an alloy plate to it, they could just do the same for the chassis. Lol

I would think the same thing, but then again, RPM made a chassis for the old school aluminum tub RC10's and I don't recall hearing any complaints. Matter of fact, it's a very sought after piece these days and go for big money if you can even find one.

RC Qualifier
    been looking for a trans for my PEDE but i think i will just get new from Traxxas

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    They do, they're called Stampedes! They were cool when they were first released and not a whole lot has been changed, and they still got game.

They don't make the race trucks like they use too.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post

You know, of all the plastic p2de parts that rpm could make stronger or more durable using their plastic, why havent they come out with a chassis for the p2de? Its one of the most commonly broken parts on these trucks.

I have wondered the something. They use to make rpm chassis' for rc10's bitd. Why not make one for a truck so common??

RC Champion
    I would think the same thing, but then again, RPM made a chassis for the old school aluminum tub RC10's and I don't recall hearing any complaints. Matter of fact, it's a very sought after piece these days and go for big money if you can even find one.
    I have a few RPM parts off of a JRXT and they seem considerably stiffer than the current stuff. The difference could just be age. There is about a 20 year difference between them. Would be cool to see them make a chassis for the rustler that uses the old Losi 5 link setup.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    There was a full rpm rc10t that sold on eBay last week for almost $900. They were great chassis kits and I think it would be great to see one made for the stampede. In fact I think I will be emailing rpm about that today.

RC Racer
    I have a few RPM parts off of a JRXT and they seem considerably stiffer than the current stuff. The difference could just be age. There is about a 20 year difference between them. Would be cool to see them make a chassis for the rustler that uses the old Losi 5 link setup.
    A 5link rustler would be really cool. That would be my next build.

RC Champion
    okay i cant resist this new transcase
    have to get three cases if thery good
    one for the pede 1 for the race slash and one for the thought of the bandit

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilke View Post
    What's wrong with the ones made by Integy, Pro-Line, FLM, Hot Racing, GH, etc?
    Here is a little insight on that question. Integy Junk! Pro-Line Tranny JUNK, as for FLM,Hot racing. Good companys. The first 2 are just a waist of money. Why spend money to make your truck heavier plus whatever type of aluminum Integy uses for their products is nasty! They would have been better off carving parts out of butter. Pro-Line WAY over priced and its a pain to get it to work correctly

Acronyms containing filtered words are not permitted.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I think this is the first rpm part that included metal, that I have seen...

If the rpm arm mounts break, or strip out, we may be able to just plop on some nitro arm mounts... I also have a set of alum ones from an hr trans lying around that could surely be made to work.
    Last edited by rag6; 12-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???