RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Dad just got into RC a little bit... nice.

As some of you may know I recently bought a spartan. But, as you also may know, I wasnt thrilled with it. Its by far the coolest LOOKING boat ive ever seen and it handles great but I only have 2S packs and wasnt pumped about how fast it is. It really needs 5 or 6S to be impressive. (which is what its designed for so its not the boats fault at all)

My dad is somewhat into RC helicopters. Just the dual rotor ones that are super easy to fly but he DOES have a lipo charger and considers himself to be "mildly" into RC in some form. But he has never shown any interest in land or water based RC. But when he saw the Snap-On spartan he was pretty interested.

Then I told him I was going to sell it and he looked kind of disappointed. (similar to how he looks most of the time I tell him I BOUGHT a new RC). The next day he asked me if I was still selling the boat and if I had it listed anywhere. I said yes and he asked how much I was asking. I told him that all I wanted was what I had into it. He said "thats a cool boat, do you think that would be a good boat for me"... naturally I said yes. He said he'd think about it and told me tonight he wants it. My mom is going to give it to him for christmas and Tom from SPC is going to bring him one 2S and one 3S pack when he comes up here to ride sleds this winter. Im also happy that the spartan is staying in the family. Its such a cool looking setup. I wasnt pumped about letting it go.

Long story short, my dad now has a boat. Which is great. Now im not the only one. Im guessing my brother will likely need to get one now too. But he ALWAYS has to do things way bigger and better than everyone else so im guessing he'll end up with a great big gasser of some kind. Oh well.

Just thought id share my story.

Now if I could only get them in SC trucks we could build a sweet track and do some racing. One can only hope.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Maybe this is the first step.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Haha, wish my dad liked rc, I told him try drive mine a few times! He's afraid to break them!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Champion
    ^^ my grandad is the same way he loves them to death(he was big in cars and and stuff) but i think hes just affraid to
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    People have that fear of breaking someone else's toy...as many of us know, anything short of jumping an RC off of a roof repeatedly or running full-speed into a mailbox post is totally safe for a Traxxas to be doing. My girlfriend is STILL afraid of wrecking something and only drives slowly...in a straight line. I think every Traxxas owner's friends and loved ones should get a tutorial on how to "drive it like you stole it" so there aren't so many nervous nellies in the world.

Good deal on passing the Spartan along, pavmentsurfer! I'm sure he'll enjoy the heck out of it on the water!
    Duh-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh...

RC Champion
    That's awesome! I know I don't know any of you, but you'd be the last one I'd guess was into RC out of the DT crew. You don't really look like the "I play with little toy trucks" kind of guy haha. What's in/on the Spartan?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Congrats & awesome story Pave. Nothing like getting family and friends into a Hobby that you love. I just havent been that lucky yet. Everyone acts interested and wants to drive, but they don't want to invest in the Hobby and own one. I do have one brother in law that kinda sorta is. We built him a Sl2sh a little over a year ago. We blast around once in a while which is nice.

Hope yall have a blast with the boat. You might have to pick one up now so the fun can be shared more. I don't find it near as fun with a ONE man SHOW. LOL Maybe Tom will bring some of those new packs up there. Saweeet!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Congrats & awesome story Pave. Nothing like getting family and friends into a Hobby that you love. I just havent been that lucky yet. Everyone acts interested and wants to drive, but they don't want to invest in the Hobby and own one. I do have one brother in law that kinda sorta is. We built him a Sl2sh a little over a year ago. We blast around once in a while which is nice.

Hope yall have a blast with the boat. You might have to pick one up now so the fun can be shared more. I don't find it near as fun with a ONE man SHOW. LOL Maybe Tom will bring some of those new packs up there. Saweeet!!!
    Yeah one man is fun for a while but two or more is much more fun.
    Matthew 7:7

I have an aquacraft motley crew catamaran. I bought the spartan just to try it out. Also have a buddy who races boats (1:1) and is just getting to Rc boats so we should have a few guys to run with.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I have an aquacraft motley crew catamaran. I bought the spartan just to try it out. Also have a buddy who races boats (1:1) and is just getting to Rc boats so we should have a few guys to run with.
    buddy who races boats? Who's that? What kind of boat racing?

Ummm... im not really sure what kind. Like, outboards, small ones. Hes a part of the ontario circuit or something. He organized the race in bracebridge... his name is jordan. Hes got a few hydros with like, 15hp on them that do 60mph and stuff like that. Not big boats. He says you have to kneel in them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    60MPH on the water kneeling in them, no thank you.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

Thats what I said.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    That's insane. We do 70 in a 24 foot boat that you actually sit in lol. It's still pretty nuts but not that crazy.

My old Hydrostream Vaquero used to do 72mph with a 135 merc on it. I always wanted to put a 150 on it but we sold it before I ever got the chance.

My buddy has a sea-flea made of carbon fibre that does 55mph with a 9.9 race motor. Its ridiculous. But he looks ridiculous driving it too... big boats are cooler for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    That's an awesome story! When I first started into rc, about 1.5 years ago, I had my rustler for a week, and then next thing I know my dad gets one too, 2 weeks after that my brother got a stampede for his birthday! Now to just get mom.....

RC Champion
    That's sick! It's amazing the kind of speeds people get out of outboards. Your Hydrostream with a 135 would hang rig with my boat with over 600 hp of I/O power. And 55 out of a 9.9!? That's crazy.