RC Enthusiast

Upgrading 2wd Slash on a $100 budget.

Hey guys I have about 100 bucks to spend on upgrading my slash. I was wondering if i should get a velineon motor and esc, or maybe get some new wheels, shocks, and tires. And do good tires really make difference. (Mine are pretty worn out)

You can trade up your xl-5 and titan,for a velineon,for $130
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    A. The sensible way to do it to do the motor last and the other stuff you mention first.
    B. The fun way to do it is motor first other stuff after that.
    C. The most likely way to stick to budget and keep your car running is A.
    D. The most likely way to blow your budget is buy installing a new motor then breaking loads of stuff cause you didn't upgrade first.

There really is no winning :-)

Personally go for a new motor , then upgrade what breaks - typical that means metal is OK in most places ecxcept a-arms where you stick with RPM. I would suggest you research a on upgrade paths

couldn't have said it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    A. The sensible way to do it to do the motor last and the other stuff you mention first.
    B. The fun way to do it is motor first other stuff after that.
    C. The most likely way to stick to budget and keep your car running is A.
    D. The most likely way to blow your budget is buy installing a new motor then breaking loads of stuff cause you didn't upgrade first.

There really is no winning :-)

Personally go for a new motor , then upgrade what breaks - typical that means metal is OK in most places ecxcept a-arms where you stick with RPM. I would suggest you research a on upgrade paths

Here are the best upgrades I have done to my Slash:

1- Upgraded from an XL5 to VXL system.
    - This was a great upgrade, there is a lot more power in the BL system, but to truely get the most out of that system you have to use Lipos.
    - You can do this upgrade for a little over $100, but you are looking at almost $200 once you buy a couple of Lipo packs. It cost me almost $300, I installed the CC SVT 3800 system in my 4x4 Slash and moved the Traxxas system over to my 2x4 Slash.
    2- Proline Protrac kit
    - This really changes the suspension, it handles just about every kind of terrian a lot better.
    - The kit itself is about $60, but you'll have to get a set of tires to go with it, putting the total cost around $100. For me, it was around $130, I had to replace some stuff
    3- Proline Steering Kit
    - This gets rid of the slop caused by the stock servo saver
    - $30
    4- Shock Springs
    - Look up the URC video for Jang's Slash 2x4 Slash turn-up "RC Tune-Up: Traxxas Slash 2WD part 1". Changing out the spings makes a world of difference.
    - About $8
    5- Low CG Chassis
    - I haven't done this one, yet, but it is next on my list. Moving the weight down greatly improves handling.
    - About $100
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    VXL System first, then 3S lipo next christmas. Upgrades done

RC Racer
    Shameless self promotion here but this link http://slash5803.wordpress.com/2012/...galore-part-1/ will take you to my blog post about upgrades. You may find it interesting, you may ignore it, you may not even vist the link for that matter.

<EDIT for phat fingers>

GreatScott's route is a popular one as well - the pro-line one - but I'll just point out the pro-trac kit is pretty damed expensive and as JANG over at URC said

"Going from appropriately tuned stock suspension to appropriately tuned Pro-Trac I didnít notice a significant difference in performance. I didnít check before & after lap times, and there may have been a difference, but it wasnít enough to notice without checking lap times"

They do look great though
    Last edited by tachikoma1373; 12-08-2012 at 05:58 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If you have all the power in the world, but no way to control it, that's not fun.

With reasonable power and a way to control it, that's fun.

Just upgrade tires, buy some Losi springs to tune your ride, etc.

Good tires make a world of difference. Anyone who says no obviously lives under a rock.
    SSC SLASH 4X4

RC Competitor
    to each his own. I get so much satisfaction out of trying to keep the car in shape with all the torque I have now. I enjoy that aspect, it might not appeal to everyone, but there is no right or wrong way to upgrade your truck, its just what makes you happy when you drive it. Me, i like powerstands and silly uncontrollable torque flex when i punch it hard, and then extreme speed runs when i feather the throttle. My phillosophy is if you are a basher, you can always dial DOWN the speed if you have to, but if you don't ever explore high power motors and batteries you might always wonder what it would be like to go faster and have all the power you need, until you actually get to the limit of what you can control, then say okay-thats enough power for me! For me, I'd never need anything more powerful than 3S and VXL, but when I ran the 2S + titan, I always wished it was faster.

RC Racer
    Everyone that has chimed in has great advice.

First thing I changed that really made a difference was tires. I am still holding out on going brushless as my driving skills dont deserve all that power yet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trashyrich View Post
    Everyone that has chimed in has great advice.

First thing I changed that really made a difference was tires. I am still holding out on going brushless as my driving skills dont deserve all that power yet.
    I have I agree about tires making a HUGE difference. I would go tires, then 2s lipo with a good charger then brushless. For the same cost as a VXL system you can get a castle Sidewinder SCT 3800 which is programmable but not waterproof (although I hear a waterproof version is coming soon).

For tires I like my Proline Badlands. I also bought Proline Trencher X SC but haven't tried them yet. I run trencher 2.8s in my Pede. They have awesome traction.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    But what tire has the best wear life under extreme loads? Under 55 mph..

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    But what tire has the best wear life under extreme loads? Under 55 mph..
    That pretty much depends on the surface your running on. What I can say is I run on a range of surfaces - on and off road and the pro-line trencher SC's I'm running are visibly outlasting the stock tyres. They would seem to be a good all round tyre - but as said by myself and others - master of non.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
    That pretty much depends on the surface your running on. What I can say is I run on a range of surfaces - on and off road and the pro-line trencher SC's I'm running are visibly outlasting the stock tyres. They would seem to be a good all round tyre - but as said by myself and others - master of non.
    I will second that Trenchers have excellent tread wear life. The lugs are so much thicker they will outlast most other tires.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Enthusiast
    We race with Pro-Line Tazers (rear only). We have XL-5 & brushed motors. These tires have lasted for 7 races so far with lots to spare. These dropped our lap time about 2 seconds! I will most likely buy these again.

This will all change after Christmas when we upgrade to brushless Velineon systems.

RC poster
    I recommend that you go with 2 cell lipo with a burst of 80c its an upgrade in power and a foot in the door for getting lipos. I would then go get new tires. If you plan on racing it you can switch to the to the nimh and the stock tires so you can race in the stock class. If you are never going to race I recommend that you change ur suspension because the stock kind sucks. I would get the aluminum big bore shocks and do 60wt oil. However if i just was bashing i would save my money for broken parts. The titan 550 will prob break soon and you can go with a more powerful brushed motor then. I got some anaconda tires on mine I race it on carpet the traction is amazing but i have to change it when I race on the dirt.

I have one 3s,It spends all it's time in my box,with the right tiers I have to set the slipper loser than i like to keep the front end down.
    Plus class racing wont allow 3s.even if your running castle,and are good at setting your torque range,it's just to much power.
    I learned the hard way,lots of new drive line parts.
    My slash's on 2s 40c 5400mah,are a hand full on the track,plus I'm running 15p-53s Robinson harden steel gears,and racing clutch,in my wide stance,low profile, pro line suspension.
    the other two are velienon systems,one with the pro line trans.(not impressed)with the pl trans at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post
    VXL System first, then 3S lipo next christmas. Upgrades done

RC Enthusiast
    [IMG][/IMG]
    did some local barter and kinda come out on the short end!
    the motor pictured had both screew heads striped and pinion gear screew but as you can see I managed to get them out.
    The esc has some kinda glue on the hold-downs,put it works as does the motor,I want to turn this around on those who thought they got the better of me,however the better of me will as a gift to you send you this motor&esc all I need is your where-a-bouts
    drive it like you own it,full throttle

RC Qualifier
    If your tight on budget. I would say tires. The VXL is great. But without tires. Not going to really use that power.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    pm sent with offer of free motor&esc havn't heard anything! I'm going to go ahead and pass it on.To another person that was wanting up-grade.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's was pretty cool to see others help out like that. I hope things work out for him. His 100 will be better spent on 2s lipo and charger with this gift motor combo.

RC Enthusiast
    it would have been a good set-up for them had they let me know how to send it to them,I saw other post made by him after this one so assumed he didn't want the offer so I passed it on.Guess if your going to start a thread you may want to follow it.
    I tried