Thread: castle upgrade.

castle upgrade.

OK guys,time to go castle on one of my slash's.
    Don't want or need, to go to the monster system.
    Just need 25 to 30% more power,It will be pushing the pro line trans,at least till i can get the flm sealed system.Not real impressed with the pr trans,but it has to do for now.
    Any one with castle experience,please toss in your 10 cent's.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

I installed the CC SVT 3800 system in my 4x4, LOVE IT!!! Lots of power running on 2S. It is really easy to setup, especially if you have the Castlink.

The only problem I have had with this system is running it on NiMHs, it don't like'm... The 7-cell 4000mha pack would run about 180deg, while the motor ran about 110, and the ESC about 90. The peformance under NiMH power was ok, but the ESC tries to pull more power than a NiMH can deliver. Once I switched to Lipo my speed and acceleration increased, the ESC now runs at about 110deg and the motor at about 140deg; lipos normally hit somewhere around 90deg.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thanks I just run lipos,but that's only 300kv's more,is there really that much of a power difference?
    I like the running temps you mentioned,that is one of my main issues with the velineon.

Yes, there is a big difference in performance between the two. I read somewhere that the power difference is because the CC system uses a 4-pole motor.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    hmm 4 pole

again another castle mmp/3800kv motor fan here just got mine today and am programing it right now so far so good

the esc dosent pull. it routs the flow the motor dosent pull

a battery is like a a presured tank if it empty's to quick it heats up
    so if the motor opens up more than what the battery can provide the battery gets the effect of being shorted
    not meaning to come off in the rong way
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

OH 4 pole,I see,four pules per revolution,twice the torque and rpm's
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Yes, there is a big difference in performance between the two. I read somewhere that the power difference is because the CC system uses a 4-pole motor.

RC Qualifier
    The VXL system & the 3800 motor have a evil mid range pull, the 4 poll 3800 will only exaggerate that mid range torque. So with that being stated, with a medium high grip track, you will be able to dial it in. Any less traction and it will be difficult to get comfortable with your trigger finger. The reason for this post is to mainly get you to go with a censored system. If traction is difficult,as you know it can make a huge difference.

OK another late post, darn children, JK
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Slash VXL 2X4 SLASH 4X4 MT

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    OH 4 pole,I see,four pules per revolution,twice the torque and rpm's
    Just more torque. Rpm is still determined by kv

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sorry your right.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh62685 View Post
    Just more torque. Rpm is still determined by kv

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    but the esc need's to switch twice as fast for a 4 pole motor than a 2 pole motor

that's where the vxl3s dosent like...50k rpm limit with 2 pole. but since it has to do twice the work with 4 pole it can only do 25k rpm. least that is what i herad about in regards to the vxl3s esc with a 4 pole motor

RC Champion
    Billy.. if you are racing you will probably want a sensored system.. just more control thats it.. I have a couple of slashes and each runs a different castle system in it.. One has the sct 3800 4 pole and the other runs a sct5700 4 pole.. The difference is quite large between the two and staggering between them and a Traxxas velineon 3500.. The 3800 has too much power for the truck while the 5700 is just on the verge of overpowering it.. I run 2S 50C lipos only as lesser batteries tend to puff.. I mostly bash with the trucks so I'm looking for speed not control.. I read before that you are a racer.. control is everything to you..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    but the esc need's to switch twice as fast for a 4 pole motor than a 2 pole motor

that's where the vxl3s dosent like...50k rpm limit with 2 pole. but since it has to do twice the work with 4 pole it can only do 25k rpm. least that is what i herad about in regards to the vxl3s esc with a 4 pole motor
    not sure if thats the reason for running a 2 pole motor vs a 4 pole with the velineon esc, but why would you want to use it anyway... other than training mode there is no adjustments for anything else.... Good for a beginner esc, but nothing else..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Yes 99.9% of my time is on the track,racing or practicing.I may bash here and there,but that's with my grand kids,and stuff.
    I break as much,if not more stuff than full time basher's
    Perhaps real short coarse running,is bashing?I mean one jump after the other,full braking in,and mostly full throttle out of every turn.
    since most turns are u's.
    you know if you race,you might have to come off a five foot jump,land 100% brake,to swing the rear out,to full throttle,to keep it sliding around.Then three or more jumps.
    Need that toque and grip to turn three jumps into one.I do indeed need to know more about censored motors.
    I'll build you a 8 second car,with no trouble,but don't know beans about electric brush less motors.
    I never thought id see 7.36 on the board,and only saw it once in 53 years,and um good with that.I can run high 8s all day.But if you never went from 0 to 167 mph in less than 8 seconds,it impossible to explain the rush.
    The tree drops two,your finger is holding the trans break as you free the wheel brakes,three,before the last one lights you better be gone.To soon you lose,to late you loss,just right,about .028 seconds. you don't see it but it drops red.
    Now with the grace of god,your seeing the strip instead of the sky,as the front end comes down,your slapping second,everything goes right,the car holds the track,you slap third.Then in less than a
    three more seconds. it's over, your pushing buttons,fuel off,shoot open,fuel first so the alcohol doesn't fry the shoot,now you half 3/4 of a mile to stop it.
    That's for funny's and rails you don't need more than a 1/4.your not going 300+mph.
    It might not make sense but my fastest 1/4et,wasn't my fastest 1/4 speed.
    Enough this is a rc forum not real racing.But for the record here's[IMG][/IMG] my one and only 7 second run.the engine let go about 40 foot from the traps.I couldn't tell till i saw the video.I knew it went,but not when.This engine ran two entire seasons.I sold The car half hour after the run,for $16,000 number seven lifter let go at 8,753 rpm.At least the button said that was the max r's.The crank was balanced and good for 8,000.but I was on a mission,and succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    Billy.. if you are racing you will probably want a sensored system.. just more control thats it.. I have a couple of slashes and each runs a different castle system in it.. One has the sct 3800 4 pole and the other runs a sct5700 4 pole.. The difference is quite large between the two and staggering between them and a Traxxas velineon 3500.. The 3800 has too much power for the truck while the 5700 is just on the verge of overpowering it.. I run 2S 50C lipos only as lesser batteries tend to puff.. I mostly bash with the trucks so I'm looking for speed not control.. I read before that you are a racer.. control is everything to you..

500 hp with a three stage nitrous system,stage one plate 150 shoot leavening the line second stage fogger 200 shoot,after second gear,third,direct fogger 200 shoot,1,050 hp to the rear tires
    The only thing i changed in two seasons.
    The night before,I chained the lower control arms,to reduce the bounce when the front end came down.
    If the engine wouldn't have went I might have since 7s again,oh well, saw the tack light up red.
    Two seasons, the engine was on over time.[IMG][/IMG]

It's about torque.A Cummings diesel can have 180 hp,but produce near 400 foot pounds of torque at the fly wheel.All with out turning more than 2000 rpm's

I was trying to type pulse like in heart beat, is that what you mean by flow.It must be something like an electric magnet?it sends a single to the magnets.You'll have to fill me in more later,or tomorrow.
    hmm 4 pole

again another castle mmp/3800kv motor fan here just got mine today and am programing it right now so far so good

the esc dosent pull. it routs the flow the motor dosent pull

a battery is like a a presured tank if it empty's to quick it heats up
    so if the motor opens up more than what the battery can provide the battery gets the effect of being shorted
    not meaning to come off in the rong way

I have a castle sct race pro
    It's a mamba max pro and 3800 4-pole motor
    I have only ran it on 2s lipo
    It's pretty cool
    But for racing I'd go tekin rx8 and 4000kv pro4
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Why? All I here is how good castle is.But it wont hurt to check it out,Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I have a castle sct race pro
    It's a mamba max pro and 3800 4-pole motor
    I have only ran it on 2s lipo
    It's pretty cool
    But for racing I'd go tekin rx8 and 4000kv pro4

RC Champion
    Here is something to consider, your lower KV motors will take more gear and generally give you less heat. You go up in KV's you are likely to have to be more careful on gearing for heat issues.
    I contacted Castle with a recommendation for my 2WD Slash, they came back with the 4600kv motor. You are knowledgeable about gearing and heat, this motor would give you more torque, more speed and a nice range of dialing it for how and where you are going to run it. Also significant benefits from the Castle ESC for tuning, drag brake, punch control etc.

You may at some time wish to try a sensored motor too, the Castle will run those too and then you have control on timing advance and a very very very smooth throttle response at all speeds.

RC Champion
    My opinion is go with the MMP esc ad the 3800kv or 2400kv.

RC Champion
    tekin is good just over priced from what i here

ya with the flow i guess i could say its more like water

so you have water in a tank. presured by a spring. (just another way to think of a battery)
    then the tank puts out a certian pressure to the lines(wires)
    so then throught the esc ...just a router routs the bec flow and the motor flow(i do not know why it heats up with bad batterys)
    to the motor sorta like a flow limiter with a certian max it will alow through

now if that certian max is higher then what the tank can supply the prusure will drop to much and thats when the battery has the effect of being shorted

thats why nimh and low grade lipo's fail do to heat or puffing

no this may not be the most accurate way of explaining.... but a forum member jakey knows his stuff

RC Champion
    double post
    Last edited by reod12x2; 12-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Looking at a used slash with the 3800kv 4 pole,and other extras,waiting to see if he'll take my offer?

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    I run a mmp and a 4600 Kv in my rustler for racing has great power on 2s plus with castle link you can run a motor test and set up the torque limiting with acts like traction control notice a lot more stability out of the corners a lot less back end coming around. Recommend this set up the 1406 motor have more power with out adding weight you could go 5700 if you need the revs but I have good luck with my 4600 its as fast as any other truck out there I just can't drive it yet lol.

RC Qualifier