RC Enthusiast

motor identification???

hi everybody, new to this forum but not entirely new to this tmaxx. bought it in '01 (classic) and somewhere around 02 or 03 upgraded to a trinity/picco .12engine. all I can say is it was a direct replacement of the .15 TRX that came in it; and it has a blue anodized head with the letter "R" on it. I've been scouring the web trying to find info on it but have had no success so I'm only left to trouble you guys. I've been thinking about re-upgrading the motor on this thing but wanna be sure it's a step up....not down. don't remember what I spent or anything else but, if need be, I can post a picture of it for ID purposes. thanks in advance for any info. If I knew more about this engine it would make it a lot easier to choose the next one.

Most of the small block Picco engines of that era have been long discontinued.

Are you looking to stay with the side exhaust and rotary carb, or do you want to upgrade to a rear exhaust and slide carb engine?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Enthusiast
    well, I'm not 100% fixed on either. I'm flexible as long as the costs are not outrageous. I'm really trying to find the perfect fit; something that will pull wheelies but not destroy the trans or differentials.....seems the 3.3 is a little much and what I have is not QUITE enough.(it's close) I don't mind replacing or upgrading axle components but don't want a major overhaul. Is this a realistic goal? From what I've read the OS .18TM would have been perfect but is now discontinued......so that should give some idea of my ballpark. thanks again in advance.

RC Racer
    Check ebay 18tm's pop up from time to time or check out sirio 18tx

RC Enthusiast
    is the sirio a direct replacement of the original?

RC Champion
    I have one of the early Tmaxx's as well and I ran OS 18TM in it for a long time. I still have the motor and only took it out because its discontinued and I wanted to keep it. I replaced it with a 3.3 traxxas.. I don't feel the 3.3 is too much for the truck however.. I replaced the old black tranny for the newer style opti drive tranny and that will eliminate alot of the problems with the more powerful motors.. As for the difference between the 2 motors.. The 18 is faster, the 3.3 has more power off the line.. wheelies with either one is a no brainer.. the short chassis makes that easy, but I have run both in the motors in the long wheel base trucks and they wheelie about the same.. I love the OS for the speed and ease of tuning.. the traxxas for the off line punch.. both motors run great and hold a tune well.. You can get the 3.3 for around $100 online.. but if you can find a OS18tm..You will pay dearly for it... Mine is not for sale...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin13 View Post
    hi everybody, new to this forum but not entirely new to this tmaxx. bought it in '01 (classic) and somewhere around 02 or 03 upgraded to a trinity/picco .12engine. all I can say is it was a direct replacement of the .15 TRX that came in it; and it has a blue anodized head with the letter "R" on it.
    The only engines I know of with a letter R is the NovaRossi engines and they did offer
    a direct bolt in 2.5 for the Maxx at one time.
    But the NovaRossi engines usually have a purple head, I dont know if blue was ever offered.

As for Sirio's there was 3 mid block engines available for the Maxx, the .18, .23, and .27
    All these engines are discontinued but can still be found new if you search the web.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Racer
    I have an 18tm in a 2.5 and I have to say that if you can get one grab it fantastic little engine but it has a slide carb so I think you may need to get the .15-2.5 upgade kit trx part 4900 to make it work on the .15 chassis
    The sirio is a rotary carb so its a direct fit but is also discontinued
    Ebay is your friend

RC Racer
    If you post some pics we can help you better

RC Enthusiast
    well thanks for all the input so far; it definitely helps having more information. unfortunately, seems like all the good, direct replacement engines with the rotary carb are no longer in production. I will jot some of these engine #'s down and go searching and see what pops up. I guess I can start narrowing my search a little so already this has been a big help. also, I will attempt to get some pics up on here ASAP. again, thanks guys.

RC Enthusiast
    well, can't figure out how to post pics on here. so, after a little consideration and the lack of availability of the right engine I think I'm just gonna go with the 3.3 conversion and change out parts as needed......any info on where to get the conversion kit (.15 classic to 3.3) would be great and also any pointers would also be much appreciated. thanks for all the help so far

RC poster
    Just go with an os .18 cv-rx (s) direst bolt in will do wheelies and its only 150.00 on ebay. More power then the 2.5 just barely less then the 3.3. Easy to tune and a great motor for the dollar.

RC Enthusiast
    rb, just checked out this engine and it even has the rotary carb; looks like this is where I'm headed. Will the factory clutch bell, exhaust manifold, and engine mount work with this motor? If so, it's a done deal. I know you said direct bolt in, but I don't know the extent of what that means... Thanks again everybody this was a huge help!

RC Enthusiast
    Well, may have just screwed up. ordered the OS .18 CV RX, not the CV RX (S). Do I need to cancel this and get the "S"? I assume the s stands for Short crankshaft?

RC Enthusiast
    os .18 cv rx appears to be a bust. looking for wheelies...not even close. everything else being the same, the old picco .12 will run with it. been tuning and tuning and tuning on this thing and top end is ok. doesn't bog under full throttle but definitely NOT what I expected. could lean mixture screw but already a full turn past what manufacturer recommends any ideas what's wrong?? ps new clutch, clutch bell, and slipper. and no, I'm not starting in 2nd as I can clearly hear it shift.

Tuning is pretty much the same from engine to engine. Since it is an OS, support for the engine is not allowed here.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    should have stuck with the traxxas engine i do believe the 3.3 is cheaper on ebay than the os you can get a 3.3 for a little more than 80 bucks brand new and it is a signifcant jump in power over your .12 its got like 50% more power than my 2.5r i was amazed at the power when i drove my brothers jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5r
    Stampede xl5