RC Racer

2 brand new Emaxx builds

I figure I would show everyone what I'm doing this weekend. I'm going to be building/upgrading two new trucks for a friend to give to his two sons for Christmas. I'm just taking 2 new emaxx's and upgrading the drive train to make it hold up a little better to the brushless power. They kids will start off with NiMH, but lipos will be on order once they get used to the speed and want to go faster. I'm also going to go ahead and do the rpm upgrades while I have the suspension apart to do the hybrid diffs and all the CVD's. These 2 boys have a BMX track in there backyard so these trucks will see plenty of air time. I'm sure I will spend lots of time repairing and upgrading the trucks as they break stuff. This is only the second time I have gotten to unbox a rc vehicle, just like that new car smell :applause:

Lucky you getting to open brand new emaxxs and work on them as well, looks like you have a nice collection of wheels and tires there? If they are going to be jumping these I recommend getting some alum flm bulks and towers at least then maybe braces. Overall its nothing like having fun what you have there on your hands.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    My collection of tires/wheels has gotten out of hand I think These will both have the FLM hybrids and stock traxxas towers until they break them, then we will go with rpm. All of my experience with aluminum towers has only lead to bent towers, but my RPM towers have never given me an issue.

I'm making some progress now. Nothing like taking apart brand new trucks. Just for giggles I had to see how these would look in my collection, and I must say I think they would fit in well once I get the new parts installed .

RC Enthusiast
    Blazer, that GMAXX in your collection looks awesome. Thanks again for the help with my maxx.
    CARBON FIBER G2, ALUMINUM G2, FLM E MAXX, ERBE

RC Racer
    Thanks bandit, that was the truck that really got me into building trucks and into the emaxx.

I got one truck done today (still have a few adjustments to make), hopefully the other will be done tomorrow.

Its all coming together...Nice!!! .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    What differentials did you use? I ipgraded to brishless a couple weeks ago. And have everything I think I need except for diffs. By the way. Those kids are gonna have a killer christmas!
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    The diffs are FLM Hybrid's. They came with 1/8 scale diffs, but I'm not sure if FLM makes them or another company.

They look like the Losi LST2 diffs I am using on my eRevo.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerss1 View Post
    The diffs are FLM Hybrid's. They came with 1/8 scale diffs, but I'm not sure if FLM makes them or another company.
    If memory serves me right the FLM hybrid ultimate diff combo uses Caster Racing diffs.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Looking good Blazer.... those kids dunno how lucky they are!

Quick question, I built up my FLM Maxx last week, and an into a bunch of head aches with the Diff cups and such because they seemed too short, so changed to the longer part included in the FLM kit... did you not have the same issue with yours? I noticed yours look like the standard version that is attached to the diff when it comes in the package... I had to strip and completely rebuild mine to get the length to match up...

I think I will start a thread and shoot pics of all the areas I had problems... will need to strip the truck down again I guess..

But a big thanks to you and all the others on here for the posts and sharing of your builds, gave me the confidence to get started on mine, and in 3 days I had her up and running!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post

Quick question, I built up my FLM Maxx last week, and an into a bunch of head aches with the Diff cups and such because they seemed too short, so changed to the longer part included in the FLM kit... did you not have the same issue with yours? I noticed yours look like the standard version that is attached to the diff when it comes in the package... I had to strip and completely rebuild mine to get the length to match up...
    HAHA, I had the exact same problem after I had completely assembled the front suspension and had it on the truck, so I had to completely tear it down and start over.

I got the first truck done on Saturday and was starting the second and then I ran into trouble. First, one of those shafts that you have to use in order to use the Traxxas CVD's had the holes drilled off center for the pin and the set screw to hold the drive cup on. This means the internal gear couldn't slide over the pin. A call to FLM Monday and they have me 2 new ones in the mail. The only problem is that I don't exactly have faith in the USPS to get it here by Christmas, so I'm currently making one out of stainless at work. This way no matter what both trucks are RTR Christmas morning. Second issue was the alignment pin hole in the rear bulks was drilled .003 too small and the alignment pin wouldn't slide in. I just took the 2 halves to work, put them on the mill, and reamed the holes out to the correct size and then the pins fit perfect. I will finish my stub shaft for the diff tomorrow and am assembling the front tonight.

RC Champion
    Lucky kids and lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    If memory serves me right the FLM hybrid ultimate diff combo uses Caster Racing diffs.
    That is correct.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Racer
    I wonder why they use caster racing parts and not something more available like Ofna or Losi. There is nearly nothing on the Bay as far as replacement parts for the caster diffs. I will post pics of the shaft I'm making and through out the separate steps of making it.

RC Champion
    I know, I broke one of the crosspins in the diff case and I could barely find a replacement. My rear diff got chewed up so I just robbed the diffs from my vorza and put them in.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Blazer... Thanks for the reply, glad to hear I'm not the only one who had issues!! Although I think my issues were more hectic than yours as it was my very first build, and I don't have access to anything remotely like a machine shop ( not that I would know what the **** to do anyway ) but I was pretty stoked I managed to get it all running in the end!!! :-)

The only issue I have now is that the Diff cup on the forward side of the tranny is now having to use the supplied Diff Cup, ( and dog bones front and rear, rather than the Traxxas CVD's as they are the wrong length ) but this means having to use a grub screw to fix the diff cup in place.... and its not a "through pin " type, as the piece coming out the Tranny on the forward side doesn't have a hole through it...

Sorry for my poor terminology, I'm still learning, so not exactly sure what everything is called.... but does what I'm saying above make sense?
    Should I just look at drilling a hole through the pin so it can accept a full length grub screw/pin?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dre

RC Racer
    If something happens to these diffs I will probably look at Ofna diffs that would work.

Nepptune, I understand what your saying I ran into that as well. All I have done is use the supplied cup and then taken the Traxxas cup off of their CVD's and ran them in the cup supplied with the kit. I don't think I would try and drill a hole through that shaft just to be able to run the Traxxas cup, but if you do make sure you are in the center of the shaft when you drill it or else you won't be able to get the pin through the cup and the shaft. And also make sure on the length that the hoe needs to be away from the end of the shaft so that the cup sits right where you want it. Also, if that shaft has been hardened it will be though to drill through it.

RC Racer
    So I forgot to take pictures as I made the shaft , but here it is finished.

The shaft on the left is the one that is bad

Hopefully I will get the replacement from FLM by Christmas and can just install it, but either way these will be RTR Christmas morning.

Nice...nothing like modding a truck .
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post

Should I just look at drilling a hole through the pin so it can accept a full length grub screw/pin?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dre
    Why not use an RC Monster or UE style diff cup, all you have to do is grind/lengthen the flat area on the shaft for the 2 grub screws to grip on to.
    This way you can use a slightly longer commonly available dog bone instead of being stuck with only one choice.

Below is the UE cup, the RC Monster differs slightly in looks but secures to the shaft the same way.
    http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...RCM8mmdrivecup

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies and advice guys, I'll check out those options. Many thanks again to all the help and advice as always, you guys rock!

RC Racer
    Got both trucks finished up Friday night and delivered on Saturday. I ended up using the output shaft I made because the replacement from FLM still hasn't arrived. In the future I will keep using my proven parts with the GA bulks and UE diffs, they have never given me any troubles and don't require any mill or lathe time. Im sure it won't be long and both trucks will be on lipos as soon as the kids get used to the NiMH speed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks good! Good job. Have you weighed them curious how heavy with the aluminum

Wow they look good, those are gonna be some very happy kids!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!