Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Interview pointers!!

Hey guys I put my application in for the Client (good sized Chemical Company), the company I work for. I'm currently a contractor for them. The closing date for applications is December 20th and I have a good chance to get called in for an interview. I've been with the construction company for over 11yrs and 10 years in the postion i'm in now.

A few years back I applied for a postion I was really interested in. I studied up/ prepared myself for it. Well so I thought. After finishing up I felt I was ill prepared for what I thought I nailed. Sadly I didnt get it, I was their top candidate, but flunked the interview. In my years of work I havent had many interviews and the last one I did was 15 years ago. LOL I now know basically what I need to do to be successful.

A few things I learned that I need to correct myself on while being interviewed: make and maintain eye contact & take a moment to think before I respond. Also to have them repeat the question if need be. There will be 5 chioce persons asking me questions during the interview. So that means you have 10 eyes on you during the whole process. Ughhh.

The company is also very Safety oriented. So this is the key to a successful interview also. Bring this to light somehow in answering each question. There is really no right or wrong way to answer the questions, its how they catch you off guard and your response to it.

I think i'm on a good track. Maybe someone here can add to what I already know.

On a side know I'm currently hourly with tons of OT hours. This new postion will be a salary one. I can't say I hate salary, but its totally different when you work over 40. Which I havent worked to many of those in my 11 years in the industry. I would lose 1/3 of the current wage, but my base pay would go up (hoping anyways), I make now going this direction. The good thing I will make a good portion of that up in a couple of years. What I'm excited for is being hired on with a well known company, excellent benefits, and a good pension. I want to retire one of these days. Plus I have 2 beautiful children and wife that I need to spend more time with.

As you can tell i've had a busy Nov/Dec and havent been on the forum much lately.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Many times the point of the interview is to see how you think on your feet and give them a feel if you are the best fit for the position. Search online for common interview questions and think of how you will respond; how you handle stress, how you deal with difficult bosses or coworkers, accomplishments and "what would you do" situations. Speak the truth as they will be able to see through white lies and know that you are just saying what they want to hear. The interview goes both ways so research the company and ask them questions which shows that you're seriously considering working for them and how it will fit your life.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-15-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    The Super Derecho

I just went through this a couple of months ago, it can be a little nerve-racking, but really not too bad if you have a good amount of knowedge about your field.

Here are some things that worked for me:
    - When they ask about something, tell them a short story about a related problem and how you worked with your team to fix it.
    - NEVER bad-mouth a previous employer, even if they truely sucked.
    - Be honest. If you don't know something, don't try to fake it, they'll see right through you.
    - Be confident, but not cocky.

I was interviewing for a company that installed and maintained industrial UPSs in California (Bay Area), I had really good interviews with the company's HR and regional manager, but the interview with the local supervisor did not go so well. The interview was actually going pretty well until he asked where I saw myself in the future. I said, "Well, in one year I will be your 'go-to' technician, and in five years I will be in your position." I got a call back from the regional manager saything that I was not going to get the position. I asked if it had to do with my this one answer I had given, he said that it did, the local manager had worked for almost 15 years to get where he was at and believed me when I said that I would have his job in 5 years.

One last thing:
    You will hear people say that you need to dress the part, but I always wore a conseritive suit and tie.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I havent been on much lately. Mainly because of the holidays, visiting family and friends. The job closed as of Dec 21st. I hope to get a call w/in the next couple of weeks. They usually start rolling the ball once back from the break. I heard there were only 4-5 applicants. So i'm hoping the odds are in my favor. I just need to Ace the interview once I get a CALL. haha

Anway I'll keep everyone posted and WISH ME LUCK.

I think i'm ready to become a 40hr man, so I can spend more time with my Family and RC'n.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Recommend calling next week. Ask them if they had time to review your resume and ask if they had any questions. Also, recommend asking when they will be setting up your interview.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Just remember I know I'm 15 but we had a segment in class for job interviews. Don't be wiggling around be still in you seat. Eye contact is key and lastly ask them question like they ask you question if that makes sense. Mostly when they ask you a question stay on point don't drift off about random things. Hope this help and good luck.

RC Racer
    A lot of HR types are going the new management route and asking odd ball questions. The point isn't to get the answer "correct" but to provide insight to the interviewers about how you think through a process.

My favorite and weirdest, interview question I have been asked, "Who would win in a battle: Marko Ramius or Jack Sparrow?"
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks everyone! The company I'm applying for totally believe in safety. Everything revolves around it and to use it with every task that we do. From an industry that never believed in it, it is a totally changed atmosphere now.

While I was in college I worked at a convenience store. Only because they were one of the only local jobs that you would work odd hours and make money. I made it through the whole time I was studying with out having to deal with a robbery or anything aweful. Probably the worst thing was your typical rude customers. All you can do is smile.

Anyways. I work in the Petrochemical Industry now. I'm basically a company rep, but am actually a contractor. Still not the same as one of them, as contractors are considered scum. I am respected pretty well though, as I've been doing this job for over 10yrs. Its more of, they depend on me and my knowledge. I'm not bragging but its the truth. I kinda look at it as they wont know what I did until I dont do it anymore. LOL I'm going for a position with the company I support, but in a totally different group. Its all good though, they will be excited to see me join them. The pay will actually be less starting out, but the benefits make up for it. In a few years I'll be close to what I make now. So in all actuallity it wont be that bad.

Sounds like I already have the job, huh? I like to stay positive. The wife and kiddos are super excited to see me get this. I want to be home more and enjoy time with them.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 01-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    - NEVER bad-mouth a previous employer, even if they truely sucked.

Can't argue this point. However, I think it might have helped my interview with my current employer. Not sre I was bad-mouthing so much as stating the obvious.

I switched jobs a little over a year ago due to a change in management at my former place of employment. I was at that location for six years and with that company for a total of around fifteen years. I was the shop a-tech and foreman among other titles. My manager retired and they brought a new guy in. Everything was fine for the first year, but then the true colors started showing through. Pretty sure the guy is bi-polar. He has crazy mood swings constantly. Not even a day-to-day issue. It was more like happy one minute and mad at the world the next. So I decided it was time to make a move.

Went and applied with a dealership in the next town over, and it just so happens that the new manager had recently been employed there for a short time. One of the questions on the application was "Is it ok to contact your former employer? And if not, why?" My response was "no" and my explanation was "Because I'm still employed there and the manager is an emotional train wreck".

The manager at the dealership I was applying at read that in my application, got a good laugh, showed his manager, he too got a good laugh, they both agreed with my observation and called me into the office on the spot and the rest is history.

I still agree that you should never bad-mouth a former employer, but I guess when it's common knowledge in the industry you're in, maybe it can be an ice breaker. Things with the application/hiring process also seem to be a bit different than most lines of work that I know of. I've looked through several applications over the years when we were looking for a new technician. Let's just say that we don't work on cars because we got good grades in school.

^^ Haha No bad mouthing here! I will be pretty much working around the same folks. The contract company I work for now is actually bigger than the company i'm going to work for. But there is a difference in being the client and working for them.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 01-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore