Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9

    Converting a 2wd Slash into a 2wd Stampede

    Has anybody done it and what parts don't interchange? I printed out the diagrams from both and it appears that alot of the parts interchange. Any potential problems I should be aware of?

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,298
    All the parts from the electric Stampede/Rustler/Bandit/Slash interchange. Some parts require a few others to work but all can be swapped. To go from a Slash to a pede all you need is the chassis, battery hold down, esc mount, front and rear skid plates and new steering links. But you might be better off to stick with the slash and just install some larger tires and the body from a E-Maxx/Revo.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    147
    I did that a few years ago and i can tell you its not worth it. Its way more fun to make a monster slash. You can get a savage/tmaxx body and put larger tires on it like reaper said. It will handle way better and be way more stable. All stampedes do is wheelie and its gets kinda annoying after a while.

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,537
    +1 monster slash is better. All that room on the slash 2wd chassis comes in handy, too.

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,298
    Stampedes are short wheelbase 2wd MT's. So in this day and age they do seem a bit hard to handle. But if you know what your doing they can handle just as good as any monster slash and in some situations better.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Stampedes are short wheelbase 2wd MT's. So in this day and age they do seem a bit hard to handle. But if you know what your doing they can handle just as good as any monster slash and in some situations better.
    I wouldnt say they can handle better. with a low power setup stampedes are fun. but once you put in a brushless system and just a 2s lipo all they do is wheelie. i agree they can be a lot of fun, but trying to go fast isnt really an option unless you add weight and then its just a losing battle. i have a few friends who started with pedes but they all turned them into slashs or rustlers because they couldnt use the power.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    I was wondering the same thing about goin from a rusty to a bandit. I think I wanna try this out. Does any ody have any suggestions on what all has to be done? Wheels, body, eft...?

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    I wouldnt say they can handle better. with a low power setup stampedes are fun. but once you put in a brushless system and just a 2s lipo all they do is wheelie. i agree they can be a lot of fun, but trying to go fast isnt really an option unless you add weight and then its just a losing battle. i have a few friends who started with pedes but they all turned them into slashs or rustlers because they couldnt use the power.
    If you know what your doing you can stop the front from lifting. With the pede a little suspension work and throttle control goes a long way. A pede will also be much aggressive around a corner than a monster slash which makes them more difficult to drive but also faster. The extra wheelbase on a monster slash makes it turn in slower and need more power to lift the front. The advantage is more predictable handling and more stability in a straight line.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal, USA!!
    Posts
    705
    I have 2 similarly outfitted trucks, a conventional Pede and a Monster Slash. With the same tires, the Slash will drive circles around the Pede. The longer wheelbase makes for a whole lot more stability. And the front wheels stay where they're supposed to-- on the ground. I've since changed the tires, but it was a straight-up blast to drive, even just like this:



    The only thing I changed was to put Pede arms in the rear, and cut the old, beat-up body to clear the tires. Everything else is stock Slash.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    If you know what your doing you can stop the front from lifting. With the pede a little suspension work and throttle control goes a long way. A pede will also be much aggressive around a corner than a monster slash which makes them more difficult to drive but also faster. The extra wheelbase on a monster slash makes it turn in slower and need more power to lift the front. The advantage is more predictable handling and more stability in a straight line.
    ive set up a pede to handle, and it ruined the truck. it no longer had ground clearance that made it fun. it also had lead weight in the front. basically it was a poor handling stadium truck. if you want a pede to bash, thats great, thats what its for. but if you want one to race, or handle good, you need a different truck. the tracks around here had stampede classes but they got rid of them after 2 years because it turned into how low you could get the truck and how much money you could put into it.

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,537
    It'd be cool to have a voting feature in the forum. For this thread, we could have a vote on monster-slash vs stampede. Google Wave had that, back when it was still around.

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,411
    I'd like to think my pede handles pretty good, without a serious suspension drop and without a socket from an air impact wrench zip tied to the front bumper - but it's taken a lot of time and tweaking and some money, too.

    Getting back to the OP, i'd like to recommend making a hybrid 2wd Traxxas of your own. Between the slash and rustler's length, the pede and rustler's width, the pede's tires and a combination of parts between all of them (some aftermarket and some stockish) you can have a really nice running truck that really doesn't fit into any one category. If you want to try going from a slash to a stampede, I'd say go for it but at the same time I wouldn't recommend just going for a box stock stampede tho either. Something as simple as dropping the body and getting better tires than stock talons can help a long way in having a better handling truck. Also, if youre going to need a arms, you may as well go with the protrac setup with all front offset wheels.

    My biggest gripe about stock slashes is A) I'm not much of a fan of the shells/body style. I heard emaxx bodies mentioned on Monster Slashes, but how wide is that chassis anyways? I'm not sure if I have ever really seen a well fitted, non short course body on a slash 2wd. B) Also, the truck itself looks kind of skinny to me or some of the vids I've seen show them rolling over a lot - especially on pavement - and I see a good bit of street action.

    I'd love to try out the proline slash chassis - rustler like cog, slash chassis length with the option to run non short course lids after deleting those body wings, but for $150...ouch! I'll have to pass, lol.

    And congrats to ReaperGN for passing off 2000 posts of good tech that stays pretty unbiased. Props dude

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    And congrats to ReaperGN for passing off 2000 posts of good tech that stays pretty unbiased. Props dude
    Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    ive set up a pede to handle, and it ruined the truck. it no longer had ground clearance that made it fun. it also had lead weight in the front. basically it was a poor handling stadium truck. if you want a pede to bash, thats great, thats what its for. but if you want one to race, or handle good, you need a different truck. the tracks around here had stampede classes but they got rid of them after 2 years because it turned into how low you could get the truck and how much money you could put into it.
    If you know what your doing the pede can do very well at racing. Especially if you go all out on it. Here is a project done a while ago that did incredibly well and cost very little.

    http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/proje...ede/phase1.php
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •