RC Champion

question about esc lay out and...

hey guys still awaiting for the mmp to show up
    and am woundering what would be the best position to put it?

then gearing it seams to be getting colder at about 3 c below
    so im ordering in 25t pinion and a 83t spur( 48p) woundering if this is the normal for gearing with a 2s lipo

an number 3 my lipo ended up ripping the trx plug off the esc. so i striped the esc down to the circutry
    .in preperation for new batery wire's(something about not lking the esc's heat sink)
    and does enybody know what temp traxxas solder melts at for circut boards?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    1. Best place to put the esc is right on the esc plate. The one from RPM does better with aftermarket esc's.

2. If your battery supply's enough power and your motor is strong enough then you should have no problems running that gearing. I would not run that kind of gearing with a 2 pole motor.

3. Your average solder should handle the normal temps a esc runs at. If its getting hot enough to melt solder you need to reevaluate the situation. If your worried about it you could use silver solder/silver bearing solder. But you need a hot iron and patience to use it.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    Most Solder melts at around 400 degrees F and above depending on type
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    sorry guys i dont even know where my head was yesterday

but ya with a rewright

i dont have the mmp yet)
    mmp with mounting it. what position would be best ex.. wires on the out side ,wires on the inside,wires in front ,wires in the rear...... on the esc plate
    the reason im asking is the the lipo i have has a bad curve so every time you hit a jump the batt wires pull the esc wires down(experience with the xl5 esc)

with the gearing im going to be useing the 3800kv motor from castle
    i was figureing 25/83(48p) on a 2s lipo an since the temp out side is holding around 36 f and lowering for the rest of winter
    (specs of battery 6000mah 30c 2s lipo)

then the xl5 esc since the above described the batt wires haveing a curve out so for every time i hit a jump the battery wires pull the esc's wires down . bending the wires at the trx plug and cuting and fraying the wires by draging them on the esc' heat sink so what i would like to do is solder new wires into the xl-5 esc... so far i have the esc case cut and the wire on the circut board exposed . but i dont want to proceed with soldering new battery wires in .without knowing what temp i cant go over on the circut board

thanks guys and sorry for my head thoughts instead of what was saposta come out

RC Champion
    so guys i got the combo mentined above

i have set up the mmp so the main wires are on the inside(between the fan and the reciver box)
    so far so good. and it seems to be the best place for everything

only time will tell if it was the best position to put the esc

RC Champion
    Unless you leave the iron on the esc and go make a sandwich you shouldn't hurt anything by soldering in new wires. Its a shame you have to with a XL-5. Now you either have to re waterproof it or run it as is.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    aww its been beat 1 yr with me and countless yrs before
    so this thing is going to get new battery wires and maybe new motor wires for a direct conect
    other than that would ca glue do the trick for sealing it up?.... i know i should get some plasti dip
    but then again i alway stay away from water . so probable not going to seal it up

RC Champion
    There was a thread about waterproofing a while back:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=potting+epoxy

High temperature potting epoxy is what SR-71 used for his. I still plan to use it to use it waterproof my older two ESCs. Just haven't ordered any of the 3M DP270 epoxy yet.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld...+potting+epoxy
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Champion
    thank you olorin