RC Competitor

Monster Mutt Brushless Lipo.....Which 3s and gearing?

Hi all,
    Looking for advice? What are your recommendations for a 3s Lipo for my Brushless Mutt? I have the VXL and looking for a little more speed for runs and bashing?

I currently am using a SPC 2s 5000 mah Lipo. Also, what gearing would you recommend? Thanks...

RC Champion
    Spc 3s. they say they're the best. Personally though I'd stick with the 2s. On 3s you're going to break stuff like crazy.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Spc 3s. they say they're the best. Personally though I'd stick with the 2s. On 3s you're going to break stuff like crazy.
    I like my 2s, but like other people on the board here, I'm sure they all want a little more Just want to know what's a good size 3s and gearing.....I've pretty much have a lot of upgraded parts, including a protrac kit....

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Promatch lipos are said to be top notch and have some really good prices too. The size of the pack you get will help determine the gearing you will need to run. The vxl esc will need a fan when running 3s and you will need to use a temp gun while running so you dont overheat the motor as well. 18/86 is what i ran in my digger on 3s, but no grass and minimal stops and starts, any more than that and it will heat up real quick. If you are going to be bashing in an area that is small, or doing a lot of jumping, wheelies and lots of stops and starts, go with 16/90 or 16/86 to keep temps down and check often with a temp gun. With 16/90 the accelration and torque was really fun. i could run two 3s packs in a row with an end temp of around 155 on the motor and never had any heat issues with the esc as long as it had a fan, but make sure you listen for the fan when the truck passes by to make sure it is still working cuz debris can get in there and stop it from turning.

When running 3s, you will also need to upgrade the rear shafts to some slash/stampede 4x4 rears or bettter. Stock ones wont last long. Make sure to also readjust the slipper for 3s, if its too tight youll strip gears or tear up shafts quicly, if its too loose the slipper will heat up and melt everything around it. Throttle control will be your best bet for your truck's survival, so strap in the 3s, hold on tight and watch out for curbs and signs cuz they will jump right out in front of your truck and ruin your day. Lol Good luck and have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 12-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Promatch lipos are said to be top notch and have some really good prices too. The size of the pack you get will help determine the gearing you will need to run. The vxl esc will need a fan when running 3s and you will need to use a temp gun while running so you dont overheat the motor as well. 18/86 is what i ran in my digger on 3s, but no grass and minimal stops and starts, any more than that and it will heat up real quick. If you are going to be bashing in an area that is small, or doing a lot of jumping, wheelies and lots of stops and starts, go with 16/90 or 16/86 to keep temps down and check often with a temp gun. With 16/90 the accelration and torque was really fun. i could run two 3s packs in a row with an end temp of around 155 on the motor and never had any heat issues with the esc as long as it had a fan, but make sure you listen for the fan when the truck passes by to make sure it is still working cuz debris can get in there and stop it from turning.

When running 3s, you will also need to upgrade the rear shafts to some slash/stampede 4x4 rears or bettter. Stock ones wont last long. Make sure to also readjust the slipper for 3s, if its too tight youll strip gears or tear up shafts quicly, if its too loose the slipper will heat up and melt everything around it. Throttle control will be your best bet for your truck's survival, so strap in the 3s, hold on tight and watch out for curbs and signs cuz they will jump right out in front of your truck and ruin your day. Lol Good luck and have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baldy is a wise man. For top end you could use 20-25 pinion and 86/90 spur. But check your temps, esp with the 3s.
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilke View Post
    Baldy is a wise man. For top end you could use 20-25 pinion and 86/90 spur. But check your temps, esp with the 3s.
    I used to LOVE bashing around with the vxl combo on 3S running 25/76 or 83. My only beef besides the temp issue was that the lvd would always kick in real early. If you want to try running the tall gearing in these colder months, I'd recommend a lipo with a C rating higher than an entry level, 25C pack.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I used to bash with the 19/90 gearing on 3s, but thats as high as i could ever go due to motor temps. Plus i like to run a couple packs back to back when im running. With 25/76 i would have to run street only and be easy on the throttle. Some people say that 3s is a waste because you never see full throttle much, but when i run 3s i'm using full throttle for probably 75-80% of the run. Even now while running the Castle 2400 motor on 3s, i constantly mash the throttle. The best part about the 2400 is that even with my extremely agressive driving style while geared at 41/72 on 3s in my 7.6lb HR P2de, i still havent seen the motor temp higher than 140.

The vxl-3s esc also has a lot to do with the high motor temps. When i started running the Castle/Dtx Element esc with the vxl motor, then temps dropped quite significantly, and ran about 15 cooler using the same gearing and battery.

Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Yeah, with the way I used to drive with my VXL combo on 3S, temps were always an issue no matter what the gearing was. But I remember you talking about running back to back packs back in the day when you were rocking the VXL. I never had the luxury. So my experience was a motor that got up to 150-160 during the warmup part of the session and it would shoot up to 170-180 with a few strong pulls with the throttle.

The one really nice thing about the taller gearing was the way the pede wanted to backflip off jumps. Even if I'd hit a mild bump while bashing - enough to get the truck a couple feet off the ground, a full throttle mash and the sheer wheel speed was enough to get a single all the way around. Launch it off a ramp, and it would pull doubles effortlessly.

But that's part of the hobby life. Live and you learn. The VXL combo was a very potent 'beginner' brushless combo. The mmp 2400 combo on 3S really is a beautiful thing, also. I used to chase my truck around with my temp gauge on the VXL. But with the castle combo, I could have thrown that temp gauge away, lol

RC Racer
    I have a 5000 25c spc 3s and am very happy with it. plus the price is great.

the reason the motor ran cooler with the castle esc is the timing was probably lower. i run all my stuff at 0 degrees timing and temps drop way down. i can run 26/83 all day long and my 3800kv castle motor will never go over 150 degrees. on 2s it never goes over 120 degrees. unless its really hot out.

RC Champion
    wj jeep
    when you say hot what temp range are you talking about?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo