RC Qualifier

how to pervent a lipo from puffing ( traxxas 25c 5800mah)

Hello I am getting my first ever lipo and I want to ask u lads How to prevent the lipo to not puff
    And what dose it that the lipo puffs

RC Champion
    Be smart use an lvc don't over charge or discharge balance charge and storage charge when mot used for a while.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Be smart use an lvc don't over charge or discharge balance charge and storage charge when mot used for a while.
    what do you consider " a while "

RC Champion
    More than a couple of days

RC poster
    Doesn't Low Voltage Cutoff damage your lipo ?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lyinoxia View Post
    Doesn't Low Voltage Cutoff damage your lipo ?
    Low voltage cutoff SAVES your LiPo from over-discharging.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rustler1999929 View Post
    Hello I am getting my first ever lipo and I want to ask u lads How to prevent the lipo to not puff And what dose it that the lipo puffs
    1. 1C is the standard industry charge rate (read: it's safe!) Depending on how far discharged a pack is, charging at 1C only takes 45-60 minutes.

To calculate a 1C charge rate, simply divide your pack's mah by 1000. A 3000 mah pack should be charged at 3 amps, a 5700 mah pack at 5.7 amps, and so on.

2. Don't OVERcharge (no more than 4.2v per cell at end of charging). Set your charger properly. It should read "2S / 7.4V" for a 2 cell LiPo, "3S / 11.1V" for a 3 cell LiPo, etc.

3. Don't over DIScharge (no lower than 3.0v per cell when battery is done being used). You must set your ESC's LVD (Low-Voltage Detection) to LiPo mode before using these batteries. Green on the ESC = GO for LiPo. If the light is still red on your ESC, press and hold the EZ-Set button for about 10 seconds, until the light stays green and an ascending tone is heard.

Per Jimmie Neutron's advice: LVD should not be set for lower than 3.4v/cell. 3.0v/cell is the lowest you can safely go… but the ESC/motor can make voltage dip below 3.0v/cell if LVD setting is too low.

4. Check the voltage of each pack before and after each use, and before charging. Use an inexpensive cell checker. I use the Dynamite LiPo Checker from A-Main Hobbies ($10).

5. Always balance charge! If your cells become too unbalanced, the pack will be ruined.

6. A puffed LiPo is TOAST. Dispose of it. Don't try to charge it, unless you like visits from the fire department.

7. Never leave LiPo packs fully charged for longer than 24 hrs. It's a sure-fire way to puff them, or at the very least shorten their life span. Charge 'em, use 'em! Some guys will disagree with me on this, but the only LiPo I've ever puffed was fully charged.

8. Follow the above advice, and a LiPo fire will be extremely unlikely. But use a LiPo sack and keep a fire extinguisher handy when charging, JUST IN CASE.

RC Qualifier
    Question: When you aren't using a lipo for a extended period of time, do you leave them fully discharge or half????? Talking about 1 month and 2 months etc!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    Question: When you aren't using a lipo for a extended period of time, do you leave them fully discharge or half????? Talking about 1 month and 2 months etc!!!!
    3.85V per cell is the recommended extended storage voltage. If you leave them too low, they can drop below 3V per cell and be ruined. The same is true if you store them fully charged for an extended period of time (more than 24 hrs.); that's a sure-fire way to puff a cell.