RC poster

storing lipos without a "storage mode" charger

I just got 2 5000mah 11.1v venom 3s batteries and my onyx 245 charger doesnt have a storage mode setting, any way to get the batteries to a safe store point without a charger with storage mode, I have a cell checker.

RC Champion
    i dont know if i do it correctly. but after a run i just recharge lipo. when it gets up to 3.85v per cell i just turn off the charger. then put my lipo in a safe spot until i am ready to use it. i usually always using my lipos so i am rarely storing them.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    I have a Rustler 3705 with NiMH 8.6 7c batteries what do I ned to do to switch to lipo??
    Last edited by Double G; 03-03-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling error triggered filter

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mmikehunter View Post
    I have a Rustler 3705 with NiMH 8.6 7c batteries what do I ned to do to switch to lipo??
    first welcome to the forum. next does your rustler esc have low votlage detection on the esc. if so. just need to buy lipos that fit in your particular rc. i think you can only fit a 140mm x 45mm x 27mm size lipo in your rustler. so remember that when ordering. then read your manual on switching esc to lipo mode. it is easy.

you would also need a lipo aproved charger. i use the easy peak plus by traxxas. it is in the 70-80 dollar range. but i like it.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums!

Don't hijack this man's thread; ask your question in the Rustler area instead. We'll be happy to answer!
    Last edited by Double G; 03-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    Ok dont know how to navigate on the forum yet so just jumped in didn't mean to hijack anything . Wheres the Rustler area ??

RC poster
    Yes the esc does have the low voltage detection and thanks for your help

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    i dont know if i do it correctly. but after a run i just recharge lipo. when it gets up to 3.85v per cell i just turn off the charger. then put my lipo in a safe spot until i am ready to use it. i usually always using my lipos so i am rarely storing them.
    This is similar to what I did when all I had was that Onyx 245. I learned to go .05 volts above and after a couple moments at rest they settle down to near that 3.85. You can make do with this method, I'm not convinced that storing your packs +/- 0.05 volts of the recommended will hurt your packs. I believe that if your reasonably close, your good to go.

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

RC Champion
    Ok dont know how to navigate on the forum yet so just jumped in didn't mean to hijack anything . Wheres the Rustler area ??
    go back to forum page. schroll down until you see the rustler/bandit thread.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    I'm not convinced that storing your packs +/- 0.05 volts of the recommended will hurt your packs. I believe that if your reasonably close, your good to go.
    Agree 100%! I'm not paranoid on this point either...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Agree 100%! I'm not paranoid on this point either...
    Storage is the only voltage that is not critical... pretty much anything above 3.6 and below 4.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help, I have all three cells in both batteries at 3.78.