RC Qualifier

aluminum upgrade recommended or to avoid

Hey!
    I just broke my right rear a-arm today on a curb(Funny thing: I also bent the right rear wheel of my car doing hand brake on a curb...)

So, I would like to know if aluminum a-arms are worth it, because I prefer to brake a 5$ piece than a 20$ one. I learned that the worst aluminum piece to buy was the spur gear.
    Also, what about aluminum stub axle?

RC Racer
    I suspect the consensus of opinion will be stay away from aluminium a-arms - RPM is the way to go for arms.

Based on my Slash experiencess and what I've read for that platform alloy should really be reserved for; Bulkheads, Castor Blocks, Carriers/Steering Blocks, Steering Bell-Cranks, Drive shafts and maybe Shock Towers.

Whilst this is slash based experience i get the impression that the same applies to many of the traxxas models. read more of why I think this here: http://slash5803.wordpress.com/2012/...galore-part-1/ (shameless plug for my intermitent blog posts)

RC Qualifier
    tachikoma1373 is correct. As for your question about the stub axle, no one makes an aluminum stub. It would snap very easily.

RC Qualifier
    This is exactly what I wanted to know and it make much sense. Thanks tachikoma and Slaughter!!
    I almost bought a aluminum one....
    tachikoma, your blog is very interesting!

RC Competitor
    Nylon all the way. Had aluminum on my nitro. Cost me a couple of shock shafts, bulk head, hinge pins,and a shock tower.
    Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    No aluminum A-arms... Just go RPM.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    RPM already bought. thanks guys. I hope the instant glue will hold everything in place until my RPMs arrive!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    This is exactly what I wanted to know and it make much sense. Thanks tachikoma and Slaughter!!
    I almost bought a aluminum one....
    tachikoma, your blog is very interesting!
    Cheers for that more to come as my experience grows - got a custom build in its early stages using a slash base and an SC8 roll cage if your interested the post is over at URC here but it will be appearing on the blog soon as well :-)

Hope your parts arrive before the glue breaks, its so annoying waiting for parts :-( Planning on doing a post on the essential spares soon :-)

With some parts its better to stock up on them so if it breaks you have got instant back up especially bearing and a arms ect ect...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, as my experience grow, I realize that! Glue is pretty strong, as everything was good until I broke another one today... A tree just popped up in front of my car!!!

dude dont worry it happens to the best of us and remember if you play hard you pay hard...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!