Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Willing to spend the money! Battery Charger

I am wondering if anyone has this charger and can give me a sign of thumbs up

Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual Li/NiMH/A123 Balancing Charger (7S/20A/500W) $279

or what recommendation I could get for decent chargers, mainly Lipo 8200 7.2v 3S.

Thanks

Broncojoe

That is a decent charger...

To cover the power supply, which is still needed after the above mentioned charger is bought; a very good reliable 12v 41a 492w power supply can be had for less than $15... you can up that to a 24v 41a 984w for about $20.

If you are interested, an iCharger 206B is capable of 20 amps and is available for $120ish.
    An iCharger 3010B is capable of 30 amps and is available for $180ish.

So, to recap:
    Power supply and above linked charger: $300
    Power supply and a 206: $140-150
    Power supply and two 206's: $260-280 <<Same amount of power as the 0720i
    Power supply and a 3010: $200
    Power supply and two 3010's: $380

If the LiPo's you are charging are usually at the same or similar voltage, you can go with a single high output charger and a ParaBoard and get the job done just as safely, just as fast, for about $100 less.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    this is the charger i use and i have no complaints. iv had many chargers over the years and sometimes its better to go cheaper then spend alot on a charger then to have to spend another 300 on a power supply.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7280/.f

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply,
    I should have mentioned the charger must charge at least 2 but prefer 4 batteries at the same time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 79Broncojoe View Post
    Thanks for the reply,
    I should have mentioned the charger must charge at least 2 but prefer 4 batteries at the same time.
    well then here is another solution,
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8255/.f

$300 on a power supply??!!
    There is no need to spend that much on a power supply. I have a total of maybe $30 into my 24v 75a power supply.

My charge system is capable of up to 6 LiPo's at a time.

RC Competitor
    i also use one of these so i dont have 500 different pig tails to keep up with.
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6207/.f

3S LiPos are nominal 11.1V, max 12.6V
    2S LiPos are nominal 7.4V, max 8.4V
    Which are you referring to?

The Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo is a very good to excellent charger, one of the best true dual chargers. Like most high-end chargers it is DC-only and will need a power supply or big deep-cycle battery. If you plan on using it to it's full potential you'll need to make or have made a dual (two in series) server power supply or pay a couple/few hundred dollars for a purpose-built unit.

However, 3S packs will not require more than 252 Watts regardless of size and 2S packs will not require more than 168 Watts so the PSU need not be huge, at least to start out.

Is there a reason you want a true dual charger rather than charging packs in parallel? Hmm - you want to charge 4...parallel would be necessary but is never as good for your packs as charging one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    this is the charger i use and i have no complaints. iv had many chargers over the years and sometimes its better to go cheaper then spend alot on a charger then to have to spend another 300 on a power supply.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.7280/.f
    well then here is another solution,
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8255/.f
    i also use one of these so i dont have 500 different pig tails to keep up with.
    http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.6207/.f
    My opinion is only that, but I think the above items are exactly the wrong way to go about charging battery packs. I trust none of them.

My power supplies cost me more like $35 each @ 1068 Watts, but mine are prettier than jimmie's.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-07-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I have a server supply I can convert for you 47 amps.I got two when I ordered mine.get you started if nothing else and cheap.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 12-06-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    3S LiPos are nominal 11.1V, max 12.6V
    2S LiPos are nominal 7.4V, max 8.4V
    Which are you referring to?

The Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo is a very good to excellent charger, one of the best true dual chargers. Like most high-end chargers it is DC-only and will need a power supply or big deep-cycle battery. If you plan on using it to it's full potential you'll need to make or have made a dual (two in series) server power supply or pay a couple/few hundred dollars for a purpose-built unit.

However, 3S packs will not require more than 252 Watts regardless of size and 2S packs will not require more than 168 Watts so the PSU need not be huge, at least to start out.

Is there a reason you want a true dual charger rather than charging packs in parallel? Hmm - you want to charge 4...parallel would be necessary but is never as good for your packs as charging one at a time.

My opinion is only that, but I think the above items are exactly the wrong way to go about charging battery packs. I trust none of them.

My power supplies cost me more like $35 each @ 1068 Watts, but mine are prettier than jimmie's.
    i havent had any issues at all. but then i dont charge alot of packs either. my last charger was a Great Planes ElectriFly Triton EQ. but i gave that to a friend cause he raced more then i did.

RC Qualifier
    I am in the process of making a power supply myself as a lot of people here have. Like said above they can be had for reasonably cheap especially when compared to store bought supplies.

It's not as hard as I thought it would be, this coming from a total novice, with help from Jimmie. He has a couple good build threads on how to convert SPS for RC use. I suggest taking a look at them before dropping big bucks on a store bought model.

The important thing is (if you decide to make your own) to make sure you can trick them into turning on an producing power. Jimmie has done several models that he figured out how to get up and running. In addition to those I've found more on another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

i havent had any issues at all. but then i dont charge alot of packs either. my last charger was a Great Planes ElectriFly Triton EQ. but i gave that to a friend cause he raced more then i did.
    As I mentioned, it's my opinion only and you are welcome to your own. I'd rather have a 1000W quality charger for around $250 (including boards, cables, etc.) than a 200W clone for around $140.

RC Competitor
    Great replies, much appreciated! It appears I am still learning the trade.

The batteries I bought which I have not received yet are Lipo 8200's 2's, (7.4 Volt) not (3's) as 1st mentioned.
    At this point I was considering the Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual Li/NiMH/A123 Balancing Charger (7S/20A/500W) $279
    but I also like the idea of having the power supply built in, check this out!
    http://www.rcaccessory.com/EVpq6AC.aspx. at $199

Are stock Summits only capable of 2's (7.4) batteries?

Thanks
    Broncojoe

You are correct, the stock Summit is only capable of twin 2S batteries... but it uses them in series for 4S power.

The charger linked above looks to be (at least to me) 4 50watt battery cookers shoved into a single case... also a copy of another charger.

There is more than just a price difference between the more expensive chargers and the cheaper ones. Some are cheap for a reason... meaning they actually abuse the pack as they charge them; earning the label "battery cooker".

Okay, I've posted this once before but it nears repeating:
    My closest LHS lost their garage/workshop and a hundred thousand dollars of hobby and other inventory a year ago due to the fire. Some blamed charging a LiPo unsafely, some blamed a faulty electrical outlet. It wasn't until a month or two ago that a second clone AC quad charger went up in flames while charging one LiPo pack and one NiMH pack that the real culprit was discovered. (FWIW, another clone quad had smoked upon first plugging it in.) I saw the second burned charger and the batteries that were unharmed. Both burned chargers had worked for a while.
    Question: What good is it to be diligent and charge your packs in a LiPo Sack or an ammo box if it's your CHARGER that goes up in flames???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

The batteries I bought which I have not received yet are Lipo 8200's 2's, (7.4 Volt) not (3's) as 1st mentioned.
    At this point I was considering the Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual Li/NiMH/A123 Balancing Charger (7S/20A/500W) $279

Thanks
    Broncojoe
    Since you require dual pack charging capabilities I highly recommend purchasing two (2) Hyperion 720 Net AC/DC chargers. The amount of money you have noted will easily cover the purchase of both chargers and you will end up with a great dual pack charging system. Plus you will have a backup charger should one ever require maintenance or repair. You can find these chargers at a good price here: www.allerc.net

RC Competitor
    Okay, I've posted this once before but it nears repeating:
    My closest LHS lost their garage/workshop and a hundred thousand dollars of hobby and other inventory a year ago due to the fire. Some blamed charging a LiPo unsafely, some blamed a faulty electrical outlet. It wasn't until a month or two ago that a second clone AC quad charger went up in flames while charging one LiPo pack and one NiMH pack that the real culprit was discovered. (FWIW, another clone quad had smoked upon first plugging it in.) I saw the second burned charger and the batteries that were unharmed. Both burned chargers had worked for a while.
    Question: What good is it to be diligent and charge your packs in a LiPo Sack or an ammo box if it's your CHARGER that goes up in flames???
    even the best chargers can burn up. iv had the best of the best and had them go up in smoke or
    just stop working, or the buttons stop working.

RC Competitor
    I also like the idea of having the power supply built in, check this out!

Thanks
    Broncojoe[/QUOTE]

I bought this one about 3 months ago at our local LHS and really like it so far. I needed one right away and was the only charger available in town so I said gimme, lol. May or may not be the best be does the job.
    Last edited by nostopin; 12-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks
    Broncojoe
    Quote Originally Posted by nostopin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broncojoe
    I also like the idea of having the power supply built in, check this out!

Thanks
    Broncojoe
    I bought this one about 3 months ago at our local LHS and really like it so far. I needed one right away and was the only charger available in town so I said gimme, lol. May or may not be the best be does the job.
    That is a clone of the spontaneously-combusting model I referenced above.

even the best chargers can burn up. iv had the best of the best and had them go up in smoke or
    just stop working, or the buttons stop working.
    Opinions are opinions, and in mine you are stretching a bit far here. I'd love to have a no-name, uncalibrated, low-power, potentially unsafe charger for a little less than a quality unit because...the buttons might stop working. Wouldn't anyone? I used my PL6 for at least two months before I even touched a button. I finally performed a charge without the use of a PC just because.

Compare a PL6 to that quad charger:
    PL6: 1000W with a 40A charge rate. $260.00 (at most) 1000W = 26 per Watt.
    EVpq6AC: 200W with a 5A charge rate. $221.00 200W = 25 per Watt = $1.10 per Watt

Oh yea, the discharge rate on the quad is a phenomenal 5W. LiPos need to be charged or discharged to storage level. How long will an 8K-class 2S LiPo take to discharge, especially if you don't get to use it? (Did I mention the PL6 has an internal discharge of 50W and can do a regenerative discharge to a deep cycle battery at up to 1000W?)
    5 vs 50 or 1000.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-08-2012 at 01:08 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    IMO, if your willing to spend $300 on a charger setup your able to get pretty much the best so dont second guess yourself and cheap out at the last minute. You WILL regret it and end up spending the extra $$ later on. I fully agree with KSB on this. Cheap chargers are hard on your packs, will take longer to balance and will generally have less power. They are also of lesser quality (despite what the guys who have ONLY owned cheap chargers will tell you).

My setup has more than enough power to charger 4X2S 5000mah lipos at 2C all at the same time.

I trust guys who know what theyre talking about. One of those guys is Tom from SPC (Im pretty sure you have SPC batteries). He trusts the Powerlab chargers for his personal packs and has told me he feels its among the best of the best. You can pick one up from progressive RC for $175, get a converted PSU like what im running and others have suggested (I paid $50 shipped for mine. Its a 57amp, pre-converted with an added on/off switch and resistor on the cooling fan so its not so loud).
    Total cost for charger and power supply $225. Then get (from progressive as well) a parallel charging board that will allow you to parallel charger up to 6 packs at one time. Total cost is going to be somewhere around $250... for the best of the best.

The PL6 can also be controlled entirely from your computer. It comes with a program that lets you adjust all the settings and monitor and log every aspect of the charge/discharge process. Its incredibly easy to use.

I personally charge 2X 8200mah 2S SPC lipos at 2C in parallel. This is a 33.6 amp charge and the PL6 with my single 57amp PSU does it without any problems at all. Just to test the PSU I also hooked up my Thunder Power TP610C and did a 10 amp charger on it at the same time as a 33.6 amp charge on the PL6 and the PSU just got warm to the touch. No problem.

Also keep in mind when considering charger capabilities. Charging packs at 1c takes about an hour. Charging packs at 2C takes about 30 minutes. So, if you can get into a setup that can charge 2 packs at 2C (like im doing) you can charge all 4 of your packs in exactly the same amount of time as using a charger than can do all 4 but only at 1C... I don't even use a paraboard. Just a 2S balance splitter and a parallel main splitter. This setup has NEVER let me down and has always balanced every cell to within .01 max...

The difference between a quality charge setup and a cheap one is astounding. Buy you already seem to understand that and seem willing to spend the money. But the difference between an extremely capable and powerful charge setup and one thats limited in some way is also astounding. The Hyperion you looked at first is great, but limited. Ive used a dual Icharger 206B setup in the past and it worked great but was far more bulky than I wanted and required more wiring than necessary. The PowerLab 6 is as capable as 2 Icharger 206B's in one package with better PC software for less money.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I would also like to know why people are against chargers that require power supplies, especially when the chargers that are most capable and take the best care of your packs all require them.

I own an AC/DC charger that plugs right into the wall, but I bought it because it was the best my LHS had on hand and before I knew better.

I wish I would have asked first like you, would have saved me $120, live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

I have both. I have a Thunderpower TP610C AC/DC with a Parallel charging setup i keep in my radio case for when I travel, and I have my PL6 setup on my bench that does the majority of my charging. But, if I could only own one id have to ask myself whats more important... power and capability, or portability. If you really only ever charge at home get the most powerful one you can. But, if you really do travel alot an AC/DC charger is much more convenient.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Whow, what a wealth of information, enough to make your head spin!
    I appreciate all the input, I am real close to making my decision. I was considering the 4010 Icharger, 2 station charging unitwith the capability of charging 40 amps per side. Super fast discharge for storage options and its brand new to the market
    but I can't help but lean towards the PL6. I can buy to PL6 for the price of 1 4010 and that just don't make sense. With 2
    PL6's I will always have a back up in case???.

I have 8 8200's coming from Tom so I would also like to parallel charge 4 batteries per charger.
    Next is a power supply, that where thinks get tricky. Either you spend a lot or save a lot, and I like saving!
    I am interested in a power supply from feathermerchantrc, please also guide me if this is the right direction. I purposely did not complete his address, I was told from a friend that its against the rules, please advise

RC Competitor
    I have a Hitec X4. Haven't had a problem with it and it's very easy to use. Nothing beats charging 4 batteries at once.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKAK&P=ML

^^ the chargers the OP is talking about are in a WHOLE different league than the X4... your talking 50 watts per channel VS nearly 1000watts with the higher end units.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

There is nothing wrong with mentioning FeatherMerchantRC.com as the possible source of your power supply.
    He basically converts retired or new (not sure) server power supplies and sells them ready to use. You can either buy from him or follow one of my step by step builds in the Traxxas Alley... you will end up with a similar product for less money if you do it yourself; but I can see the benefit of a prebuilt/preconverted unit if you do not know how to solder. The only thing is to make sure you get one big enough to power your charger!

Suggesting a HiTec X4 is going backwards... really far backwards. The chargers he is talking about can charge circles around the HiTec... 6 or even 12 at a time!

RC Competitor
    Do you guys think the Imax B6 is a crappy charger?

http://www.focalprice.com/YO119L/iMA...FQmmPAodOwgAfQ

Quote Originally Posted by humboldtsmoke View Post
    Do you guys think the Imax B6 is a crappy charger?

http://www.focalprice.com/YO119L/iMA...FQmmPAodOwgAfQ
    Simply put: Yes.

Simply put: Yes.
    I will second that.

Mmmmmhmmmmm!
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Haha. Thanks, guys. I LOVE pavementsurfers post of his setup! SO sexy! LOL. First I was checking out that Powerlab charger but I think its more than what I need. I'll probably only ever want to charge two batteries at once. I don't have as much time as I'd like to play with my toys So then I was looking at the icharger 106 and making my own power supply from an old computer I have in the garage...

Summit + SPC 8000mahs (when they're in stock) + charger + power supply. I think thats my list!

Sounds like you have a great plan together!
    Be sure to watch your PC's power supply... the 106 could be too much for it, depending on what it is and what it is capable of.

EDIT:
    I would like to add a "thank you" for not taking serious offense to our take on your linked charger.

RC Competitor
    I'm looking at the connectors on the batteries which are now in stock and I'm wondering if I should go for the Deans and switch my other ones over? Is it that big of a difference? I can solder, just not that great, hahaha, but I love doing stuff like that and I have the tools.

They perform about the same from what I have read.
    I stick to Traxxas because I find them easier to use and they don't require shrink.

RC Competitor
    Hi Jamann

Do you still have that server power supply as I am interested?

Joe

Yes get my # from Luc and we go from there

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I have 2 sets of 3000 nmh batteries that came with our summits, still waiting for the lipos and not sure if this
    applies to both types of batteries. Should I match the 2 best (highest) volt batteries as a set or should I have 1 lower
    and one higher volt battery as a set.
    Does anyone no if 1 side takes on more load then the other?

Thanks

The BEC side drains faster as it powers the motor and all the other electronics and the nonBEC side only supplies the motor.

What is the difference in voltage?

RC Competitor
    The voltage jumps around but it appears 10.72 (2 batteries) and 10.93 2nd set seems about average.
    I am assuming the BEC side is the side that the ERC is on?
    Would the far Black wire on the driver side take on more of the load?

Thanks

ERC?

The voltage difference is negligible... not enough to worry about.

The BEC side is usually the side with the red tag around the two wires. The way to tell is to hook up a battery and attempt to turn on the ESC. If it powers up for a second and then shuts down, that is the BEC side. The nonBEC side will do nothing.

As far as I know, load is pretty much even across all battery wires.