RC Competitor

traxxas gtr shocks vs exoteks

is the price worth the exoteks? are they that much better? what is the ride height difference?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The exotek shocks are nice. Probably a little higher ride height but can handle some good jumps!
    I had to take mine off because I put a bigger motor but might put the old motor back on to run them again

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbe7 View Post
    is the price worth the exoteks? are they that much better? what is the ride height difference?
    You may want to consider the HR shock bodies which use the stock shafts, internals and top cap but have a thread lower cap unlike the stock shocks. The only drawback with increasing the ride height with the shocks is that it usually won't let the truck bottom out fully which will strain other suspension parts.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    exoteks are great if you don't plan to use a big block motor, sway bars, or chassis brace. I'm happy with my GTR shocks but for the money you could get HR or GPM, they might not be as smooth as the teflon coated shock body and TiN shafts but for the money you get more stuff like aluminum shock caps, rod ends, spring retainer, spring adjuster, and some extra springs. If you choose the GTR shocks there is an available aluminum retainer available for the oil seal but again you find yourself spending money to additionally upgrade the shock where the GPM has aluminum everything, and TiN shafts can probably be added to the GPM set (same goes for HR not sure if it has aluminum shaft ends though).

edit: GPM or HR will not loose the oil seal cover, I don't have that problem with my GTR's beause I keep my shocks clean often, like stock they might come off but I haven't personally had that issue.
    Last edited by Meebert; 12-07-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    I like turtles.

RC Competitor
    so which would you say is better gpm or hr? and for the money are gtr's that much better?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would go exoteks then hr with tin shafts then gpm. And yes I have all 3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I would go exoteks then hr with tin shafts then gpm. And yes I have all 3
    good to know I never really knew between GPM and HR, I think I will get HR shocks for my shash and compare to the GTR's in my MERV
    I like turtles.

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone know where to get the exoteks? Exotek's website says discontinued?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    good to know i just bought a rebuild kit for down the road

RC Qualifier
    I just set them an email asking about rebuild kits. I hope they got a few laying around that I can snag up. I dont wanna have totoss them when the seals go out. I've heard nothing but good about them (instructions aside).
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Competitor
    Okay thanks for all the help guys but I have one more question. What kind of rockers do you use?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Qualifier
    I'm running stock on my daily driver and gpm with the exoteks on the project.

RC Competitor
    Okay thanks and what I heard you have a to do a bit of modifications to install the exoteks? What are the mods?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Qualifier
    Install the metal spring perches(included with exotek) and and lower ball end from your old 16th shocks. Much easier said than done though. They also include new pushrods for the front(shorter than revo push rods) to lower it a bit because the exoteks raise the ride height a bit. I did find that slash tie-rods are a good length if you dont want to use the flimsy exotek push rods.

RC Competitor
    I was thinking of getting the Aluminum push rods but would they be too long? What about the aluminum slash ones?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

If you get the ones made for your model they will be the correct length... the only time you would need different ones is if you also get Exotec shocks.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    So if I get exoteks what push rods should I get? If I get the mini revo ones will they be to long and will it sit to high?
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Qualifier
    On my project revo ive got gpm titanium revo rods everywhere except for the front push rods. In their place I'm using gpm steel slash turnbuckles. So either your gonna have to buy 2 sets of rods, use the fragile looking exotek ones, or make your own pushrods. I guess you could just let the front sit high, but I dont like the idea of a higher center of gravity.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbe7 View Post
    So if I get exoteks what push rods should I get? If I get the mini revo ones will they be to long and will it sit to high?
    I ran exoteks with traxxas aluminum and they worked fine shouldn't have a problem

RC Qualifier
    Great news on the exoteks, I was basically told that the shocks were adapted from the 3 Racing Sakura XL. We can use the rebuild kit for them and we got some spring options. For springs there is one that's a harder rate then "exotek stock" and quite a few that are softer.

Here's the reply I got.

Hi Sir,

Yes they are discontinued. They worked nice but in the end were just ok sellers. The average Traxxas customer feels they are too pricey. They don't realize I'm a small operation and production costs for the set are high. In the end not enough profit margin for me to make another batch.
    3Racing makes sedan shocks that are direct fit to the BB shocks. The replacement parts are interchangeable;

http://os.3racing.hk/products_list.p...key=117&page=1

Check with http://www.tqrcracing.com/ for stock

Best Always,

Mike Rydwell

So they are still available, in pink of course. Page 5 on the link they gave me is where I saw the rebuild kit and the springs, have at em.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info magical bum. I frequently take my MERV to the LHS's track (I don't race), and I definitely see the value in Exotek's big bore shocks.

What a bummer though! I too have been looking around for a set for weeks. I guess my only chance of getting my hands on one is to fabricate/piece a kit together?

Maybe if we get a group buy together, Exotek can run a batch? We could pay a deposit on it for manufacturing to get started and pay in full once they ship?

Seems like all the other small shocks (GTR, HR, GPM, etc) just aren't effective at doing their job: dampening.

RC Competitor
    I think that's a good idea, just how would we shop them to each others house because I live in Canada
    1/16 e-revo vxl!

RC Competitor
    We've tried the GTR aluminum with TIN coated shafts and the GPM with Tin coated shafts. Can't really tell that much difference in the slash or summit. But both are better than the stock plastic housings. After you get the GPMs put together (with the TIN shafts particularly) for the money, the aluminum GTRs are the best value for sure. The seal retainer is better on the GPM, but we haven't had any problems with the GTR aluminum seals either. Be sure and get the extra Oring seals for the GPMs since after you install/remove the retainer a few times it eats up the GPM seal/retainer Oring.
    Richard