RC Qualifier

RPM Gearbox Housing

Looks very interesting, thoughts?

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...h6.htm#gearbox
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Gotta say thou,rpm did another fine job! they took a great thing and made it better.
    One things for sure,if it says rpm,you know its a good product!

WOW sure did not see this one coming. Price is reasonable and it looks like it has some nice features. I doubt it will take the place of my beloved FLM tranny case on my Rusty but I would definitely consider it for some future build on a Traxxas 2wd vehicle.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Wow looks great, wonder how far it drops temps opposed to stock and opposed to a full aluminum box.

The 0 and 3 degree mounts as well as the lack of that big hole on the bottom look promising.
    Last edited by joe831; 12-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.

It looks to me like you would be able to use some anti squat shims on the tranny case as well, that is a very good thing IMO, maybe more so for the Rusty and Stampede than the Slash because they are more wheelie prone.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Looks like they make it in green also. Not sure how that would look on the Grave Digger though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    4WD MonsterMutt WPSC8:4Pole 3400kV | GOT DIRT?

RC Competitor
    Looks really cool may have to pick one up for one of my slash"s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    This looks promising! The price is quite right if you ask me. I might pick one up. I also hope this RPM tranny closes better then the stock one, so it doesn't let water in so easily.

RC poster
    YES! 0 Degree Toe, Loving it

Dont you guys hate seeing the back tires bowed inward with the stock Toe, I know its good for turning, but I dont like it
    Traxxas Backslash Brushless 2wd Mod

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetterhoun View Post
    This looks promising! The price is quite right if you ask me. I might pick one up. I also hope this RPM tranny closes better then the stock one, so it doesn't let water in so easily.
    A finger spread bead of silicone over the seam on the stock tranny will work to help seal it as well as at the base to prevent the water from getting where you 'tape over' the opening on the bottom.

That's nice, defiantly gonna buy one when I get a digger
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Oh man....i need to get me one of those!!!!

RC Qualifier
    If I had to be picky, toe blocks need to be sold separately, and offer 4* toe blocks also. It looks like you need the RPM rear bumper mount, their wording is unclear to me anyways. Just thought I would mention that for those thinking of making a purchase.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...lash.htm#mount
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

went to order one from the local hs,they said they weren't released yet?

I'll never say anything bad about rpm,the products rock.
    But fast lane machine trans and sealed diff,sounds and looks wicked,Need deeper pockets,but from what Ive heard from owners,which are few,probable due to the price? Say there the best! looks an performance.
    And of course durability,does it get any better?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I'll never say anything bad about rpm,the products rock.
    But fast lane machine trans and sealed diff,sounds and looks wicked,Need deeper pockets,but from what Ive heard from owners,which are few,probable due to the price? Say there the best! looks an performance.
    And of course durability,does it get any better?
    Iv been drooling over the FLM trans case since its release and then they added the sealed diff, ughhh, somebody please stop me. I have been spending most of my RC budget on my 4x4 this past year, but I have since finished that project. So, you know where my budgets is going, my 2x4 needs a little lovin.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Hard choice,we all know rpm's record for top notch products.
    But the time proven traxxas transmission,with a sealed diff,and that beautiful aluminum case.
    It's not fair,I want both.

RC Racer
    The part ships in Jan 2013 - the 7th I believe it says at the bottom of the page - they better make a lot of them there's going to be real demand for them I think. Oh yes and if my memory serves me right the toe blocks are sold seperately. I expect to see someone do aluminium versions of the blocks as well.

And I'll put money of a front block of some description from them soon.

But hey what do I know.

RC Competitor
    It says in the description that 0 & 3 degree toe blocks are included. Why would u not want them included? Why pay extra when they will throw them in for free?

RC Racer
    What I meant by sold seperately was you get them included but you can alsobuy them seperately - e.g. you don't have to replace the entire tranny if a toe block breaks.

RC Competitor
    Oh gotcha they just need to sell replacement blocks.

Finally! Somebody put some thought into a transmission for Traxxas vehicles. Sure the FLM is an awesome trans, but it's very expensive compared to the RPM and, realistically, the motor mount plate is the only thing that really needs to be aluminum. A full aluminum housing is cool for most people, but overkill for myself. The replaceable arm mounts are another awesome detail. A simple solution for rear toe on the Rustler and Stampede, but also a variety of toe options for the Slash.

IMO, this is the best aftermarket product I've seen in a very long time for Traxxas Rustler platforms. I've been wanting to build an LCG Slash, but couldn't find a trans that suited my needs. The Proline was the closest thing I found, but was a miserable failure. With this RPM trans you can use all the aftermarket slipper conversions (especially the AE/STRC), a variety of different internal gear options (versus the PL which had to use their diff), adjustable rear toe, and also have the motor stay where you put it and run cooler with the aluminum plate. Big score for RPM!!!!!!

Just a thought here, but if the arm mounts are anything like the original Traxxas Magnum trans, you will have a wide range of toe settings. With the older Traxxas trans you could swap the -1 mounts to the opposite side, giving 1 degree of positive to, which would bring the total to 2 degrees instead of three. So, the possible settings were 0, -2, -3, -4. More fine tuning could also be made with different rear carriers. I'm starting to get very excited about this.

EDIT: Oh well, looks like for now there's only 0 and 3 degree mount. That will limit the options, but hopefully RPM will take the hint and make some other arm mounts so we can fine tune the rear toe settings.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Harry said it all. What a wonderful hop up. Thank you rpm. Funny that you can now get the trans (that actually works lol)that proline should have built for about 70$ total including gears and bearings and an associated slipper setup... Msrp is 30$ Is that $20 from the discounters?
    Last edited by rag6; 12-08-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Harry said it all. What a wonderful hop up. Thank you rpm. Funny that you can now get the trans (that actually works lol)that proline should have built for about 70$ total including gears and bearings and an associated slipper setup... Msrp is 30$ Is that $20 from the discounters?
    Don't tell RPM, but I would pay even more just so I don't have to deal with all the other failed attempts out there.

Hopefully somebody has a definitive answer for this. I'm guessing it's yes, but would like to know for sure. Will the FLM sealed diff work in the standard Traxxas trans? If so, that's gonna be my new Slash setup. RPM trans, FLM diff, and TRX steel idler along with the STRC top shaft/AE slipper. Perfect setup IMO.

My only concern with the RPM would be if there's too much flex in the housings. RPM is known for their flexible suspension parts. Hopefully the trans cases will be beefy enough that it won't be an issue. Plus, having the arm mounts separate from the trans cases should reduce a ton of stress on the trans cases.
    Last edited by harry697; 12-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.

In the pede forum, a post brought up a concern. Only one screw holding the susp mounts to the trans? I think one will do fine. Just wondering your thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    In the pede forum, a post brought up a concern. Only one screw holding the susp mounts to the trans? I think one will do fine. Just wondering your thoughts...
    I just noticed what you're talking about. Why do the mounts even bolt to the trans at all? They have the two 4mm screws that attach them to the chassis, so I don't see any need for them to attach to the trans at all. My first thought when I looked at the pics was to cut the tab off the trans altogether. If you did, you would also gain full range of squat angle adjustment.

Here's a pic of the original Traxxas Magnum trans. The mounts attach to the chassis only. They're completely independent of the trans. I guess maybe the reason for the setup on the RPM trans is to add a little more rigidity to the arm mounts?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Don't tell RPM, but I would pay even more just so I don't have to deal with all the other failed attempts out there.

Hopefully somebody has a definitive answer for this. I'm guessing it's yes, but would like to know for sure. Will the FLM sealed diff work in the standard Traxxas trans? If so, that's gonna be my new Slash setup. RPM trans, FLM diff, and TRX steel idler along with the STRC top shaft/AE slipper. Perfect setup IMO.

My only concern with the RPM would be if there's too much flex in the housings. RPM is known for their flexible suspension parts. Hopefully the trans cases will be beefy enough that it won't be an issue. Plus, having the arm mounts separate from the trans cases should reduce a ton of stress on the trans cases.
    Yes. The FLM diff will work in a stock case.
    This RPM case looks good and well thought out. I currently use the FLM case and love it. It has detachable arm mounts which is one of the reasons I like it.

RC Racer
    First look from THE JANG

RC Qualifier
    Awwwww he removed it.. Looks pretty cool.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 12-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    well after skimming through the 30 posts on this, I didnt see any input about the material used. SOOOO.....

.....in my experience with RPM products, the material is softer than stock. As you can see, the screws go into the case and not through and into the metal plate as Traxxas use to do. I think this my be an issue and something that may need to be rectified.

so, my .02 and 3.77$ will get you a coffee at starbucks - Just sayin

RC Qualifier
    According to the Jang, RPM used a stiffer material for the case. BITD, RPM made cases for the AE Stealth transmission, which were very good, as well as complete chassis for AE. Although they have been focusing on the bash market for the past decade or so, they do know how to make stiff, race-type stuff, and have done well in that market in the past. I assume that the lifetime guarantee would get more of a workout if the arms and bumpers were made of the stiffer material, although I would buy them if they were. As it stands, RPM suspension parts are a durability modification that does nothing for performance, and, in some instances, actually hurts performance.
    My cases have not arrived yet, but I expect them to be of the same high quality that all of the other RPM parts are.

RC Champion
    I like RPM basher parts - heck all my cars utilize them....

without researching, I spoke of the material - I digress and hope this turns out to be a great product...everything else is!

RC Qualifier
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...s/73615Asy.htm

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...es/SlashRr.htm

In the first pic you can see that the screws go through the metal plate, then into the case.

The second pic shows the top plate screw is able to go all the way through, only needing a washer and nut, and a longer screw. As for the lower plate screw I see an opening showing that with a longer screw, you can add a washer and nut. If I misunderstood the wording in your post, my apologies, only wanted to clarify,. if needed I see a way to solve your concerns. As we all know that with self tapping screws, you only get one chance when first assembling then.

Replying to post # 31
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    updated video from Jang

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    jus
    just got added to my favs,nice
    drive it like you own it,full throttle

I'm so buying 1 of these!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Very nice to see that rpm was on its toes, crossed the t's, dotted the I's compared to other offerings. Almost no reason to go to any other option for a gearbox upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    Wish mine was here. I'm going to cut the top out of the "motor pocket" for fan clearance. I skipped the PL trans, even though I was very excited about it, due to all of the durability problems, so this one better be as good as it looks!

RC Qualifier
    rpm says not available till next year very sad. But I will have one