Thumbs up Inside a Titan 12T 550 Motor...

Hey guys, while I was driving my Slash last week, my Titan thought it would throw a brush. Oh well. These motor are not known for being long lasting. Anyway, I was borred today, and I decided to take (tear) it apart. It was actually really clean inside, I didn't expect that... You can see it's a simple design, but looking at it makes me wonder. Why does a brushless motor cost SO much, if it's even more simple then a dumb brushed motor? Never mind that, here's the pictures.
    I had to use a dremal to grind away the tiny little tabs holding it all together.

I was surprised there wasn't more rust inside.

Here you can see the brush that desided to self destruct.

Just though I'd share what I found! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 12-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Competitor
    The Titans are hit and miss. Sometime you get one that runs along time and others that go bad in a short time. I think the reason why Brushless Motors cost so much is because we all want them! lol Would be nice if you could replace the brushes

Also you get what you pay for. Spend a little Spend it Often or Spend More, take care of it and ENJOY it
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol

RC Qualifier
    LOL
    You did exactly the same thing I did when the Titan died. This time, the curiosity killed the motor.

Keep the wires and the capacitors....Maybe you can use on an other brushed motor....Just my suggestion
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

The brush less use a much stronger type of magnet,and new tech stuff is always over priced.
    Look on the bright side,but new brushes in it,and it should go,they say you cant rebuild them,but they also said the titanic was unsinkable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrocutioneer View Post
    The Titans are hit and miss. Sometime you get one that runs along time and others that go bad in a short time. I think the reason why Brushless Motors cost so much is because we all want them! lol Would be nice if you could replace the brushes

Also you get what you pay for. Spend a little Spend it Often or Spend More, take care of it and ENJOY it
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

they also said the titanic was unsinkable.
    Titanic - "IC" = Titan. Hmmm....
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The brush less use a much stronger type of magnet,and new tech stuff is always over priced.
    Look on the bright side,but new brushes in it,and it should go,they say you cant rebuild them,but they also said the titanic was unsinkable.
    Most of the time The magnet of a brushless motors is made of Neodymium (rare earth metal) and is never found in nature as the free element...

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Good one!
    But you could solider new brushes on,and clean the commutator,it should work
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Titanic - "IC" = Titan. Hmmm....
    You are 100% correct good sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    Most of the time The magnet of a brushless motors is made of Neodymium (rare earth metal) and is never found in nature as the free element...

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-20-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: post merge
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Or for 20 bucks just buy a new Titan. The Titans are bushed motors and the bushings wear out to.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Good one!
    But you could solider new brushes on,and clean the commutator,it should work
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol