RC Competitor

dual dewalts? and battery question

So someone on YouTube has peaked my interest in dual dewalts. I don't know if they're on this forum but you can look up djandv and see the videos. Im pretty interested on doing this but I'm wondering how this was done with one esc. Do you just seperate the two positive and two negative and run them in series or paralell (I can never remember the difference). Also right now I'm running stock nimhs and I want to upgrade to Lipo. I've been looking into sky Lipo, spc, and gens ace and I want high mah but what c rating would be ideal for a setup such as this.
    Its a Summit thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Qualifier
    Will a stock esc will handle the amperage needs of two dewalts?

Why not upgrade to a single brushless? Performance gains will be more than enough to break driveline components while being way more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 12-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.

RC Competitor
    I like the waterproof aspect as well as still being able to crawl.

RC Racer
    I ran duel 720s from kershaw designs 700HO powered by two 8000mah 2s lipo's on the stock ESC. It gets HOT! And needs a fan furring the hot Texas summers.

Both motors from kershaw just had two wires a piece positive and negative. Im not sure about wiring, but I think OP is on the right track. Just match up the wires.

AGAIN ESC gets hot! Too hot to touch, but with a fan I never could it to.thermal.

Also you will go to a signal Dewalt motor given time. The summit already has enough torque for one motor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I do not think a stock ESC will handle the draw of two DeWALTS. Especially since it gets so hot running on two 700HO's... which are basically re-timed stock motors. I suggest trying a single DeWALT before taking the leap to dual's... a single has more than enough torque to turn shafts into pretzels.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    http://kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-Dua...Conversion.htm

I think this is what I'm looking for, 820 size motors, 14.4 dewalts

RC Champion
    I'm with Jimmie on that decision.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    There is no reason to go with dual dewalts. Its a waste. A single dewalt has more than enough torque to get the truck anywhere youll EVER need to go. Infact, a single dewalt has more than enough torque to snap any driveshaft on the truck in a heart beat. You can run for almost 2 hours on a pair of 8200's and the ESC doesnt get hot. If you run 2, youll have more torque (which you dont need more of, your run times will go down and your ESC will get hot. Save the money and get some other upgrades that will do more for you than the 2nd redundant motor.

Just because it CAN be done, doesnt mean its a good idea.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler313 View Post
    http://kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo-Dua...Conversion.htm

I think this is what I'm looking for, 820 size motors, 14.4 dewalts
    As the others have said, it is simply a bad idea. The center of gravity is moved way up high by mounting one motor up there and you are adding unnecessary and unusable weight with a second motor. The amp draw will make your ESC hot enough to cook eggs and will make you wish for 20,000 mAh packs. The rest of the drivetrain will be overwhelmed, so instead of driving or bashing as you've envisioned, you'll be wrenching. But...your truck, your tools, your blisters.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I run just one dewalt 14.4 motor and it has enough power to pull two adults on plasma cars. plenty of power!
    Revenge 1/8 buggy