Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

The "Sleet-Racer" Yes...Yes I Did.

Not too long ago on another thread, i had joked around about doing this to my Funny Car because of all the snow fall we've had here. After making the comment i began thinking "why not?". Then i starting thinking that it might even work, then i was convinced that i had to at least see how it would look. I have to say, the paddles and skis were a perfect fit and imo the Funny Car pulls off the look pretty good. Check it out:

Now that i have the Funny Car set up for some sleet-racing, there is no way i can resist running the car like this! Since the ET-3s isnt waterproof i'll be tossing in the Vxl-3s, and since the Vxl-3s wont run the 4 pole motor i guess the vxl 3500 will have to do. Powered by 3s lipo of course. Now this is where i may need some help. I know the vxl motor will haul this car around, but not with the stock gearing. I just dont know where to start with the gearing. Considering that im gonna have to buy the gearing it will require, any ideas of where to start with the gearing so i dont have to buy them all? Lol. Either that or a link to somewhere that sells the 32p gears for cheap so it wont cost a fortune if I have to buy them all. I'm not real fluent in 32p gearing, so any help would be appreciated. I do know that it will need to be geared a bit high, as running through snow relies a great deal on massive amounts of wheelspin until the vehicle gets up to speed.

Having a place to run this setup is not too much of an issue for me, all i have to do is go to the edge of town and it looks like this:

You know, the more i look at the car this way, the more i think that it might actually do pretty well. Only one way to find out!
    You guys are probably laughing ur butt off right now at this car. Lol. I know I am But here in Saskatchewan, Canada, we can make anything run on snow....cuz we dont have a choice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    its like a top fuel snowmobile!!...I like it!!!.....be sure to take some video...

RC Racer
    You should stud the rear tires and do some ice racing. Sharpen the carbides or whatever you have on them skis so you can steer.
    I like your idea.

RC Qualifier
    You really are an innovator aren't ya? Haha
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    that is really cool

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    ...You guys are probably laughing ur butt off right now at this car. Lol. I know I am
    Yes, but we're laughing with you.

Needs a ski in back to be complete.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@HPL View Post
    its like a top fuel snowmobile!!...I like it!!!.....be sure to take some video...
    You bet i will man. I'll be strapping the contour gps camera for some onboard vid with gps verified speeds... Hopefully it will go fast enough to register on the camera's gps! Lol I'll shoot vid at the same time from a transmitter mounted cam too. Speaking of snowmobiles, i wonder what kind of speeds those track conversion kits are rated for? That would be sweet on this car, especially if they would tuck under the body too. I better check into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 NUT View Post
    You should stud the rear tires and do some ice racing. Sharpen the carbides or whatever you have on them skis so you can steer.
    I like your idea.
    Thanks, ice racing sounds like fun, but i would imagine i'd need a pretty big stretch of clean and smooth ice. We got lots of ice, but i dont know anybody with a zamboni. Lol I would just have to wait for some more freezing rain, we had some the other night and the highways were all black ice.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    You really are an innovator aren't ya? Haha
    Nope, im an addict! You guys may think that my "you know you're addicted to r/c when" thread is fun and games, but its for real. Haha. Just kiddin, that would be out of hand.

Nah man, this is what happens when i get left alone. My son is visiting his grandma for a couple days and i took a couple days off, so my mind has been wandering unchecked and unoccupied. I was looking out the window at the snow the other day, then i looked over and saw the layer of dust collecting on the funny car and figured that a $600 r/c should at the very least, be able to run all year round.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Yes, but we're laughing with you.

Needs a ski in back to be complete.
    Sure, sure.

You know, i hadnt even thought about how useless the wheelie bar wheel will be on snow. Good idea man, after reading your post i was all over it.

Hows this:

Now, you cant tell me that this setup doesnt look like it will work, can you? Does it? Maybe im nuts. Lol

Last edited by Double G; 12-09-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    wouldn't it be cool using single freewheel cogs then making them up as rear wheels instead of making up some studded wheels.Might need some different oil in the shocks. But that looks awesome.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Baldy, Only you my friend!! Are you sure you wasnt born in the deep south over here?? LOL

That thing is going to shoot off like a missile! You'll have to take it easy on the throttle, get her up to speed then dont hold back and punch it. That's if it isnt stuck doing donuts. Have you tested the stock servo and how it reacts to the skiis? The 2080 is a mere 41.7oz of torque. It might be ok, then again how much turning will you be doing. The 3rd skii ⌂ sets it off.

Keep up the good work and open mind.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I've seen Snowmobiles converted to run the 1/4 mile trackwith wheels on their skis....

Now, the reverse :applause:

Nice Job! Love to see some vids... But these things aren't waterproof.... careful.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Nice Job! Love to see some vids... But these things aren't waterproof.... careful.
    He's thinking about slapping the VXL-3S & 3500 in there. So it would be waterproof then.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes, i will be running the vxl system when i take this unit out for a burn. I wouldnt want to burn out the et-3s. Too bad the vxl-3s esc wont run the castle 2400, traxxas should get on the ball and either update the vxl-3s for 4 pole motors or work with castle and make a Castle esc fully waterproof. I would have liked to take it out already but its -25C out there, so if i wipe the car out it will likely shatter into tiny little pieces. Lol. Plus i work outside in this weather for 13 hours a day, so when i take a couple days off I like to thaw out in the warm house.

The rear ski - and the rest of the setup - look amazing. It is so fast just sitting there it's hard to believe. I think it'll work fine, but even if it doesn't,
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    nice ride! Where did u get the skis?

Quote Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    nice ride! Where did u get the skis?
    Thanks, They are Maddtraxxrc skis. Ive tried three different brands of skis and these ones work the best.

http://www.maddtraxxrc.com/products.html

RC Racer
    That would be nice to have up here in Alaska but it too cold to do much of anything fun outside we just got over a cold snap it sucked -40f for about a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfoster View Post
    That would be nice to have up here in Alaska but it too cold to do much of anything fun outside we just got over a cold snap it sucked -40f for about a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya man, we've been at around -25-30C for the last week or so. Even the best rc parts available will break in this kinda weather. I work outside in these temps for 13 hours per day, so the last thing i want to do when im off is go outside. Lol

Unfortunately im off to work again for a week in this frigid weather, gotta go make some more xmas and rc upgrade money!

RC Qualifier
    That's pretty cool!

RC Qualifier
    i want to see it run that is cool keep up the pics and some video would be nice. hope to see more

Baldy, Thats awesome man! Love it! LOVE your wheelie bar. Looks like u purchased it. Awesome job
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 12-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Baldy, Thats awesome man! Love it! LOVE your wheelie bar. Looks like u purchased it. Awesome job
    Thanks buddy! Using the ski for the wheelie bar was ksb51rl's idea and i managed to whip something up out of some parts i had kickin around.

Im gonna stuff one of my vxl systems in the car tonight and charge up the video camera and 3s lipo so i can try to get some runs in tomorrow if the weather isn't too harsh. I also put together some studded tires using some small 2.2" tires on axial rockster beadlocks. So if the car wont run well on the snow with the paddles, it'll still be able to run on the icy and snow covered streets.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Thanks buddy! Using the ski for the wheelie bar was ksb51rl's idea and i managed to whip something up out of some parts i had kickin around.

Im gonna stuff one of my vxl systems in the car tonight and charge up the video camera and 3s lipo so i can try to get some runs in tomorrow if the weather isn't too harsh. I also put together some studded tires using some small 2.2" tires on axial rockster beadlocks. So if the car wont run well on the snow with the paddles, it'll still be able to run on the icy and snow covered streets.

Any running video yet my friend?? I've been anxious to see this rocket blasting across the icy lakes up yonder. LOL

BTW you might want to keep your feelers out. Castle just released the Mamba Monster 2 & Sidewinder V3 in waterproof. I'm waiting for the MMP to become available. Saweeet!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Any running video yet my friend?? I've been anxious to see this rocket blasting across the icy lakes up yonder. LOL

BTW you might want to keep your feelers out. Castle just released the Mamba Monster 2 & Sidewinder V3 in waterproof. I'm waiting for the MMP to become available. Saweeet!!
    I got a pic of the hole in my wall from the car taking off full tilt after calibration of the gt3b to the vxl-3s esc. Does that count? Lol Not really sure what happened, but immediately after calibration was complete i noticed the throttle needed to be reversed. Then the car started twitching, then slowly rolling, then just as i was reaching to grab it she took off like a shot and buried the nose of the frame into the wall.

I tried taking it out for a test run and it takes off like a shot, but as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the steering servo is nowhere near strong enough and the gears crapped out after about 2 minutes. It was -35C when i took it out, so that may have a little bit to do with it and im sure that the run in with the wall could've played a role as well. Im now on the hunt for a metal geared servo that will fit in this car. I don't want to break the bank for a new servo since its not a necessity, just something with metal gears and a bit better torque for cheap. Anyone got any servo ideas? I would think that an aluminum cased servo would be a benefit to this car for the added weight in the front. It sucks cuz the weather has been real nice all week and would've been a perfect time to run this unit. Id steal the servo outta my merv, but I'm sure it wouldn't last long either so no point in killing that one too.

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Perhaps a Hitec 645mg or Hobbico cs-150? Both around the same price, I think. If you want an aluminum cased servo take a look at one from Savox. It's around $100 and has right around 400oz. of torque. Perhaps more than you need, but for the cost, it's a good value. No matter what you choose, this is just an awesome project!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Perhaps a Hitec 645mg or Hobbico cs-150? Both around the same price, I think. If you want an aluminum cased servo take a look at one from Savox. It's around $100 and has right around 400oz. of torque. Perhaps more than you need, but for the cost, it's a good value. No matter what you choose, this is just an awesome project!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Those are all standard 1/10 sized servos though, the servo size in the Funny Car is a mini 1/16 sized servo. Its the same servo thats in my 1/16 E-Revo. The 2080 i believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC poster
    That thing looks awesome, can't with to see some vids once repairs are complete.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    That thing looks awesome, can't with to see some vids once repairs are complete.
    +1!

Baldy check my thread on a replacement servo if you havent picked one up already.

<<< Servo Replacement for the MERV >>>

Hopefully it gets you pointed in the right direction.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Baldy check my thread on a replacement servo if you havent picked one up already.

<<< Servo Replacement for the MERV >>>

Hopefully it gets you pointed in the right direction.
    Pointed in the right direction.... Thats funny! Lol. Thanks man, i think im gonna snag the same hitec one you picked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Champion
    Is the Hitec wall proof "oops" water proof?

IMO The VXL-3s will run a slow four pole motor fine, just not a fast four pole.(and the bullets sizes don't match) The 2400kv is so slow you might be fine, OTOH try running a 5700kv 4 poler on a vxl-3s.(it hits the rev limit really fast)

3500x12v= 42000rpm x2 poles = 84000 poles per minute
    2400x12v= 28800rpm x4 poles = 115200 ppm ?
    2400x8.4v=20160rpm x4 poles = 80640 ppm
    5700x12v= 68400rpm x4 poles = 273600 ppm X

isnt that the true story. I cant WAIT for a waterproof MMP... oo buddy... I have the VXL now on my winter pede, and its no where the caliber of the MMP. Brakes, adjustments of all sorts. It kinda bugs me actually I miss my MMP.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    isnt that the true story. I cant WAIT for a waterproof MMP... oo buddy... I have the VXL now on my winter pede, and its no where the caliber of the MMP. Brakes, adjustments of all sorts. It kinda bugs me actually I miss my MMP.
    I just sent in 2 burned up controllers. 1 MMP and MMM, i'm upgrading both to MM2s. Shipped them out friday and they arrived today and they sent me a request to pay them to get the ball rolling. So hopefully in a month i'll have the sweet puppies.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I just sent in 2 burned up controllers. 1 MMP and MMM, i'm upgrading both to MM2s. Shipped them out friday and they arrived today and they sent me a request to pay them to get the ball rolling. So hopefully in a month i'll have the sweet puppies.
    That'll be a nice upgrade for sure. How did you manage to burn up the MMP and especially the MMM. Seems to me that the MMM would be a tough one to cook unless you were maxing it out constantly. 😱

As for this Sleet-Racer, I managed to grab a couple replacement gear sets for the 2080 servo gears that got chewed up in this car and the MERV. I had initially thought that the last servo gears in this car were likely damaged from the botched calibration that introduced the funny car to my living room wall, but the weather was decent over the weekend so I decided to take this car out for a run and within the first few minutes.... Click click click click, then no steering again. Since this car will be returned to its on road setup as soon as the streets are dry and can also use a bit of extra weight in the nose, I've decided that instead of upgrading to a better 1/16 servo I will modify the servo mount to accept a standard 1/10 metal gear standard size servo. I have lots of spare mg standard size servos in the parts drawers, so I feel this is the better way to go and will benefit both the snow and street setups.

The weather has gone from one extreme to the next here, as yesterday afternoon it hit 0C and tonight will be dipping down to -42C and is predicted to stay this way for a few days. So I've got a bit of time to get the servo fitted anyways.

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV

Funny you ask that. I somehow shorted out the MMM and it caught fire during new years vacation. Scared me half to death. On the MMP I overheated it I guess. Anyways I'm picking both of them for $200 shipped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Isnt it only like $70 to fix the MMM? Then roughly the same or cheaper for the MMP? I Smoked a MMM real bad and they said only $70. Whats the cost to upgrade to MMM V2?
    Everything overpowered...