Thread: Broke This

RC Enthusiast

Broke This

Just swapped in the VXL Brushless system and about 5 minutes later heard a grinding noise.
    Broke some teeth of the idler gear, and the planetary gear.

When I pulled it apart I noticed it didnt have all THAT much grease inside the transmission. Bought some new gears from the LHS and got it back on the road. Ran through a battery and seems to be doing fine so far. Any ideas on why or how can I try to not do it again ?
    I had the slipper clutch tightened about as tight as I could so i backed that off a little, also trying not go from sudden stops to full speed or going from full throttle to reverse ?

RC Qualifier
    slamming into forward and reverse real quick and i run my slipper 1.5 turns out from tight. i haven't broke it again since i did this
    SLASHING UP WITH MY PEDE

This always fascinates me.
    When I think that most other bread racer brand rc sct's come with plastic diff gears the fact that I see these let go with steal gears is remarkable.
    As said above one of the fastest ways to do this is reverse slams trying to pull wheelies,and a tight slipper is a recipe for disaster.
    I ripped the tar of of one of these transmissions on a rough course with a 2400 4pole on 3s for a long time before the hole trans finely had razor sharp gear teeth,and let go,and then it was just the idler that actually broke.

As for the grease there should be just a small amount on the gears,lay-shaft,idler,and diff.
    The inner planetary gears require a larger amount of grease that should come with your repair kit.
    Hope you have better luck this time.
    Enjoy your slash.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    I filled up the planetary gear with some super thick silicone diff oil that they recommended to me. I also used marine bearing grease for the transmission case.
    I guess with the brushed motor I was able to do forward to reverse slams all day long, no can do with the brushless

Quote Originally Posted by TXRaptor View Post
    I filled up the planetary gear with some super thick silicone diff oil that they recommended to me. I also used marine bearing grease for the transmission case.
    I guess with the brushed motor I was able to do forward to reverse slams all day long, no can do with the brushless
    No that's pretty hard on them,but the velineon should be able to lift the front tires with out doing a reverse slam.
    You just need enough traction.
    Glad your back up and running.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.