Thread: Fiero GTP

RC poster

Fiero GTP

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Fiero GTP to pick up.

Way, long before I came back into the hobby this past week with my son (we have a pair of Bandits, and are enjoying ourselves a good deal), my brother had a GTP and it was a blast (I was a Tamiya guy back then).

I have a lot of his stuff after he died, but the car wasn't anywhere to be found. (I found a couple radios, but no car). I remember spending hundreds of summer nights with him when we were kids running our cars up and down the streets until crazy morning hours.

My Tamiya buggies would never come close to that chassis, and I'd like to have one to set on shelf in my and my son's 'rc room' and to run on occasion (if I could find tires, HA!)

if anyone has one for sale, let me know. Body is secondary, as he ran a Monte Carlo (of all things) on it most of the time, once I find a chassis, I'll be on the search for a 1/12 Monte Carlo body.......

Thanks everyone,

- B

RC Enthusiast
    Keep your eye on ebay, they are out there. There was even a new on still sealed in the box a couple weeks ago that sold for $350.00. From what I can tell its a pretty sought after car but they can be found. Maybe someone here knows of one that available. Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VPRPWR View Post
    Keep your eye on ebay, they are out there. There was even a new on still sealed in the box a couple weeks ago that sold for $350.00. From what I can tell its a pretty sought after car but they can be found. Maybe someone here knows of one that available. Good luck!
    That would be me, and ill pm u in a sec bbwwbb
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Champion
    Yeah keep a eye on E-Bay, They do come up more frequently then you would think, Oh man....BITD, (my early-mid 20's ) I used to have about six of them, maybe not all "complete " cars but enough to make 3 runners for-sure.

They were fun little 1/12's at the time. Once I got a better taste off the off-road platform, those GTP's sat and collected dust, got neglected, damaged, etc. Later on in life, pulled them out of a storage box (prob 4-5 years ago) and sold what I had left of them.

Theres a dude on here that is a big Fiero fan SRTracer121 He's like the guru of the GTP's, and still run's them today!

Some parts are available, here and there You can also get "REPO" bodies.

IMO they are neat cars, and at their time, a unique design from Traxxas. But $350 for one? (I know NIB) Is a bit too steep to me. Just keep your eyes open on the bay. Or post a want ad here in the market place. Especially if your not looking for a "mint" condition, You never know what you might find??
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    IMO they are neat cars, and at their time, a unique design from Traxxas. But $350 for one? (I know NIB) Is a bit too steep to me.
    I also agree, I was bidding on that car but it went past where I was comfortable and I had to sit back and watch it sell. Congrats Gecko on a awesome NIB Traxxas

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VPRPWR View Post
    I also agree, I was bidding on that car but it went past where I was comfortable and I had to sit back and watch it sell. Congrats Gecko on a awesome NIB Traxxas
    Thx and I just thought of how many of nib ones I would ever find so that's y I bought it

RC poster
    One of the guys from RC10Talk let me know about your post. I've got one I was just going to put up on eBay. Box, instructions, radio & all. Its about as close to being "Mint NIB" as they come. And I don't want $350 for it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

e.

RC Champion
    this is what i get for not swinging by for a few days huh?!

thats a beautiful specimen, even the tires are like new!

whats the code on the bottom of the chassis? 6 digit or more with a letter tacked on the front? the 6 digit numbered cars are the earliest. got the antenna? if not than ill gladly send one the op's way no problem. ive got a few kicking around i think.

also @op, i wouldnt recommend running one, just burned up a set of gears on one of mine and when i did i died a little inside. ive yet to figure out a way to adapt a modern ball diff to the stock shaft or find a whole shaft that will bolt in.
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 12-07-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC poster
    Thanks everyone, I picked up a unit (with spares) from Gecko5678. I'm not planning on running it much, if at all.

I'll post some pics once it gets here. This is a great community, and a place I'll likely be hanging out as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bbwwbb View Post
    Thanks everyone, I picked up a unit (with spares) from Gecko5678. I'm not planning on running it much, if at all.

I'll post some pics once it gets here. This is a great community, and a place I'll likely be hanging out as well.
    Hope you like it. It should be there by thursday

RC Competitor
    Did you guys see that latest Fiero body shell? It certainly looks nice with no cracks. And the price was certainly a bargain compare to what they go for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-PACKA...vip=true&rt=nc

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    Hope you like it. It should be there by thursday
    Well, The holidays have slowed down a little. I wanted to formamlly thank Gecko5678 for helping me out here.

Here is a photo of the car hanging out with some of its younger family (and a very distand relative).

I admit it, I did run it once on a very smooth section of pavement, as it had to be done.

She goes up on the shelf for now though. 1987 was a long time ago.

RC Qualifier
    Glad you like it

RC Competitor
    I got one that is NIB from last year. The first time looking at it, the body shell was warped. So I replaced it with a factory painted version. But that one had a small hairline crack on the right side of the wheel wells. Recently, I was able to replace that one for another body shell, which had no cracks or bends what so ever. These Fiero body shells are tough to get.

RC Champion
    tough to get, thin and fragile as paper-mache, and the quality on originals is as bad or worse than anything.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTracer121 View Post
    tough to get, thin and fragile as paper-mache, and the quality on originals is as bad or worse than anything.
    You are right about that. The body shells are tough to get. They are fragile. The shell that I got had no issues at all. So I was glad about the upgrade. I have no plans to play with the car because once it breaks, that's it. The parts are hard to find these days.

Here is a link that you might find interesting:

http://www.overrc.com/vintage/autos/...xxasfiero.html
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 01-06-2013 at 04:03 AM.

RC Champion
    its not that they all have flaws its that you can see major variances in the bodies. the raised vents and body panel lines are all over the place so to speak. you get some bodies where they are deep and well defined and others that are shallow and crappy. i cant stand that! 4 on the rear window are the worst, most of them are shallow but on the one body ive got (my very very first trx12/C&Afiero), they are deep.

ive had like 7-8 original bodies now, i think i need to get a grip