RC Competitor

Can't wait to go p4ding!!

Hi all,
    New here at Traxxas, not to RC. My new Stampede 4x4 VXL will be arriving any day now.
    I've already purchased a bunch of hop ups. I will be running it bone stock until something breaks.
    I'm really excited. I still own my nitro(can't say which...it's not a Traxxas), but I live in an apartment now.
    So wrenching and testing are out of the question. I always loved the original Stampede, and have been waiting years for a 4x4 version.

I think the only mistake I've made so far when it comes to hop ups is the Team Blue Star aluminum threaded shocks. It's my weakness, plus I hate the spacers on plastic shock bodies. I've read a lot of mixed reviews, so I really hope I get a good set.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I noticed that some of you have a wing mounted on the back of your p4de. Where can I get one?
    2. Does it need modding or is it a direct bolt on?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

RC Qualifier
    HI! welcome to the forum! You'll see, you'll love your stampede!
    The Losi 1/10 Ten-T Truggy wing and mount fit the stampede pretty good, almost without modding.
    I bought it recently, but I was disappointed by how small the mount was. I'm selling it.

If you buy it, you have to find another smaller body

why, yes this is a stampede 4x4!

RC Qualifier
    I think it should be a 1/8 wing, because this is what I got:

RC Competitor
    Thanks,
    I've seen the shape shifter vids. I like the truggy conversion. Does anyone know what mount that is?
    It's been at customs for at least two days now. If they release it tomorrow, I should have it by Friday.
    Last edited by groovethumper; 12-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.

RC Competitor
    where in Quebec do you live? bash session.

RC Qualifier
    Losi is making many type of wings and mount, just check their website. I think many of them should fit on stampede. I think...
    Also, I live in Wotton, small town 45 min from Sherbrooke. You also live in Quebec?

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the tip. I live in Montreal.

RC Competitor
    Well no p4de. Will be here this week. I little update on my progress.

Parts out on delivery. (should arrive this week)

1. King Headz Aluminum motor mount w/bearing
    2. King Headz Slipper bearing adapter
    3. Tekno RC M6 Front & Rear Driveshafts & Steering Block Set
    4. Stampede 4x4 VXL BATTERY HUMP 3000Mah 8.4v, Traxxas #6708
    5. Team Blue Star Threaded aluminum Shocks w/4mm shafts

Parts Delivered

1. RPM 80702 Front/Rear A-Arms Black (2 sets)
    2. Front Bumper by T-Bone Racing

I know I probably made a mistake purchasing the shocks. Read some mixed reviews. Hopefully I'll get a good set. I'll keep you posted.

Parts I'm thinking of purchasing

1. Onyx 245 Charger with 2 Onyx 7.4V 5000mAh 25C Hard Case LiPo Battery
    2. JConcepts 3055-3130 Subcultures 2.8" Mounted Front/Rear Tires

Let me know what you think, what I am missing or should think of purchasing.
    Thanks.

RC poster
    Those subcultures are good for dirt, but if you are planning to go in sand and snow, i would suggest trenchers or dirthawgs from proline. but if you are on dirt enough, the subcultures should be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by groovethumper View Post
    Hi all,
    New here at Traxxas, not to RC. My new Stampede 4x4 VXL will be arriving any day now.
    I've already purchased a bunch of hop ups. I will be running it bone stock until something breaks.
    I'm really excited. I still own my nitro(can't say which...it's not a Traxxas), but I live in an apartment now.
    So wrenching and testing are out of the question. I always loved the original Stampede, and have been waiting years for a 4x4 version.

I think the only mistake I've made so far when it comes to hop ups is the Team Blue Star aluminum threaded shocks. It's my weakness, plus I hate the spacers on plastic shock bodies. I've read a lot of mixed reviews, so I really hope I get a good set.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I noticed that some of you have a wing mounted on the back of your p4de. Where can I get one?
    2. Does it need modding or is it a direct bolt on?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
    I have done the truggy. I'm not sure but I THINK it's a kyosho 777 mount
    http://m1068.photobucket.com/albumvi....jpg.html?o=63
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavdog View Post
    Those subcultures are good for dirt, but if you are planning to go in sand and snow, i would suggest trenchers or dirthawgs from proline. but if you are on dirt enough, the subcultures should be fine.
    Thanks for the response Pavdog,
    I really like the scale look of the Jconcepts, plus they seem slightly smaller than the Prolines. It should help preserve my drive train. I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Gecko5678,
    Would it be at all possible to get a pic with a regular pick up body on it. I plan on getting a Jconcepts Raptor, or the Parma 67 Ford body, sometime in the near future.

Thanks again to one and all for the help and advice.

Sounds like your pede is going to be awesome man good work.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Thanks Spennie,
    I've had a lot of practice with my Nitro. Bought a lot of junk, cause I was new to Hobby grade RC,and really didn't have anyone to go to for answers. She's bullet proof now. Plus I like to beat them to **** and back.

RC Competitor
    by the way the blanked out word is the opposite of heaven. Not trying to be a pottie mouth. I am well aware that there are young children on the site. In case someone wants to ban me or something.

RC Competitor
    Yes!!!
    It finally arrived. I have a question. Is there supposed to be so much slop in the center drive shaft? It moves back and forth.
    If this is the way it's supposed to be, I think I'll be ordering the Tekno Center drive shaft. Waiting for the battery to charge.
    I checked the slipper nut and found it to be a bit lose. I tightened it up and loosened it a half turn. I also installed my new front bumper.

Great little truck can't wait to take her for a spin.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, this is normal. Are you thinking about going lipo??
    If so, make sure to get MIP!

RC Competitor
    I bought the Teknos, for the four corners. I prefer dog bones over the stock CVD's or MIP. Less moving parts, less rotating mass, and they will never bind up. As for Lipo I'll probably get the Onyx 245 with two 2S hard shell packs. I want a charger that can charge multiple packs of different chemistry at the same time.

You will love your teknos and good idea starting on 2s but soon you will want to try 3s and thats were the fun begins.keep us informed on your build and take it easy dude....peace

RC Competitor
    Thanks Spennie,
    Took it out for her inaugural run. It's -4 Celsius,snowing,(light dusting) icy, and extremely slippery. I have to say I'm impressed even running the stock NIMH pack. Pretty quick. Ran it on a icy, bumpy parking lot. I think it ran for about 15-20 minutes before the battery died. I'm really liking my P4de! Traxxas hit the nail on the head with this one. Can't wait til I can afford the Lipos.

On another note. I'm still waiting for my King Headz Slipper Bearing adapter. I already received their motor mount. Just waiting for that part so I can upgrade that all at the same time, I won't be waiting for it to break before changing it. I think those two parts are important enough to change out right away.

I found an old motor heat sink, the kind that clip on the motor. Do you guys think this is a good idea. I was thinking it'll help displace some heat, even if it's only a few degrees.

I want to sent out a very warm thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and awesome attitude and help. Glad to be a member of the Traxxas family.

RC Qualifier
    The heat sink does work used one on mine till i upgraded to the castle 2400. It doesnt have the heat issues even on 4s love that motor. Welcome and good luck you should have no drive line issues with the 2.8 trenchers or badlands on this truck those subcultures dont have the bite you need for bashing imo. Oh the heat sink gave me around 10°F

RC Qualifier
    I knew you would like your stampede!
    It's also my first RC and I'm becoming a bit obsessed with it... I think I spend 400-500$ upgrading piece and this forum was very useful, thank guys!!!
    Right now, as it's winter, the heatsink will be perfect. But when summer arrive and you go lipo, you will need a fan for the motor and the ESC. That's essential, motor temp should never goes above 200°F (very easy to reach)

RC Competitor
    Thanks Madscrapper,
    I've been hearing that about the subcultures. Glad I put the heat sink on. I have no plans on upgrading my motor right now. I plan on taking care of it and the ESC, replacing it right now is impossible. I have heard nice things about the castle 2400.
    Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Emmanhello,
    Yes I am very happy with it. By the way it's not my first RC, it's my first Traxxas. Yes it's becoming obsessive, just like with my Nitro. I'm only like that until I get it modded for me. After that, I enjoy. I do plan on getting the motor and ESC fans this coming spring. I plan on going Lipo in January or Feb.

RC Competitor
    Oh,
    I almost forgot I will be posting some pics this weekend.

RC Competitor
    I'm loving this,
    Went P4ding today! Warmer today, so by the time I got home from work. Everything froze up nice, with lots of ruts, mounds, and dry stretches. the cars left a nice semi dry tracks for me, and my runs where faster. Did my first roll over. Had a great time. I'm still waiting for my second pack to arrive, and double my run time.

On another note,
    The title of this thread is "Can't wait to go P4ding!". I would really like it if everyone would post a little bit of what they did on there runs. If you broke anything, what new parts you tried out. Things like that, and at your discretion.
    Thanks.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, my stampede is in piece right now... I broke 2 a-arm (hitting a tree) so I'm waiting for the new RPM to arrive. Also, i just finished my 3s and 4s homemade hard case lipo battery. Can't wait to go p4ding!!

well cant wait to go p4ding but the rain here is so heavy right now so i am using my qr-1 and having a blast and watching my 1 year olds face as he tries to to break it every time it lands....peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Well, my stampede is in piece right now... I broke 2 a-arm (hitting a tree) so I'm waiting for the new RPM to arrive. Also, i just finished my 3s and 4s homemade hard case lipo battery. Can't wait to go p4ding!!
    Wow,
    Trees are not fun. You should post a LIPO battery built thread. Would really like to see how it's done. That's pretty cool.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    well cant wait to go p4ding but the rain here is so heavy right now so i am using my qr-1 and having a blast and watching my 1 year olds face as he tries to to break it every time it lands....peace
    Sounds like a blast. Can't wait to see the looks on my nephews and nieces faces when they try the stampede.

RC Competitor
    I received my second battery pack today. So tomorrow I'm heading out with two packs. I have a question. Has anyone used the delrin spur gear yet. I have a Robinson Racing spur on my Nitro, but it's a lot heavier than the P4de. I figure it almost as strong, but lighter than steel.
    Thanks.

RC Competitor

Here it is. Pretty awesome. Really liking the Lipo's. The shocks worked out great. they just needed lighter oil. Hope you like it.
    Last edited by groovethumper; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Learning to post pics

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by groovethumper View Post
    I received my second battery pack today. So tomorrow I'm heading out with two packs. I have a question. Has anyone used the delrin spur gear yet. I have a Robinson Racing spur on my Nitro, but it's a lot heavier than the P4de. I figure it almost as strong, but lighter than steel.
    Thanks.
    I never tried the delrin spur gear, is this spur gear made of steel?
    Because you'll see that aluminum and steel spur gear are the worst upgrade you can have. They'll wear off as fast as a bad diarrhea... Keep plastic, they'll last much more longer and are cheaper. Traxxas spur gear are perfectly fine.
    Keep posting picture, we love seeing pic!!
    How do you love your Tekno driveshaft?

RC Competitor
    What shocks do you have on there?

RC Competitor
    Oooooopsss!!!!
    Last edited by groovethumper; 01-28-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Duplicate

RC Competitor
    Because you'll see that aluminum and steel spur gear are the worst upgrade you can have. They'll wear off as fast as a bad diarrhea... Keep plastic, they'll last much more longer and are cheaper. Traxxas spur gear are perfectly fine.

Hey Emman,
    How are you, better still how's your P4de doing?

Delrin is:

Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon and Hostaform.

It's extremely strong. I installed a 53 tooth spur in my P4de. Love it. I think that it's a perfect match for the weight of the truck. It's been installed for a month now. I've been running my truck almost every night. No wear on the spur or pinion gears. Here's a pic.

Tekno Drive shafts are the bomb. The right choice for me. I'm sure I would have blown the stock ones. I'm waiting for the Tekno Center drive shaft kit. I find I'm loosing some power with the stock part. It's definitely twisting, and last time I checked it felt like it had a little bit more play.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjr6565 View Post
    What shocks do you have on there?
    They are Team Blue Star. They Come with 3 sets of springs, black. orange, and stainless. You will definitely need to change the shock oil. It's way too thick. You will also need spacers for the front top shock mounts. I used three washers per side.
    Last edited by groovethumper; 01-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    Oh almost forgot got some new Trenchers. Thanks for the advise Pavdog. Love them.

RC Competitor

Hey Emman,
    How are you, better still how's your P4de doing?

Delrin is:

Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon and Hostaform.

It's extremely strong. I installed a 53 tooth spur in my P4de. Love it. I think that it's a perfect match for the weight of the truck. It's been installed for a month now. I've been running my truck almost every night. No wear on the spur or pinion gears. Here's a pic.

Tekno Drive shafts are the bomb. The right choice for me. I'm sure I would have blown the stock ones. I'm waiting for the Tekno Center drive shaft kit. I find I'm loosing some power with the stock part. It's definitely twisting, and last time I checked it felt like it had a little bit more play.