RC Competitor

New Aluminum Parts = Problems

I have put alot of new aluminum parts on my truck and was all excited to see it put back together only to see it is heavier. It was sagging before I put the spacers on the springs which I'm guessing it will hit pretty hard when it comes down from a jump. Anyone know a good solution for the added weight as far as shocks go? Also I'm guessing the weight will heat up my motor so I'm also open to suggestions on a motor + esc that will not break down from bashing with the extra weight?

RC Qualifier
    Not sure what aluminum you put on it, but it shouldn't weigh a lot more. If you are running stock oil, switch to 50 or 60wt to help dampen the extra weight. Might need some stiffer springs to get the ride height where you need it as well. Why not run it and check your temps before investing in a motor/esc you might not need?

As slaughter said up the weight of the oil about 45-60wt and you can put fans on the esc and motor to help keep cool or look into makes like castle,tekin,novak,tenshock for your motor and esc upgrade
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    It doesnt take much added weight to effect the shocks. The stock oil is 30wt, so bump it up to 45wt or so. I like to use the Losi silicone shock oil set. Gives you different wts to piddle with. Also add some spacers to you stock shocks and maybe think about some heavier springs.

Post some pics of your truck if you can. This will help us help you.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys, I have the heatsink for the motor and cooloing fans for botht he motor and esc. The shock towers are aluminum along with the A-arms, caster blocks, steering knuckles, and carriers. Im wanting to upgrade to the GPM heavier shocks are they as good as the Traxxas big bore shocks? I'll take some pix today or tomorrow and post them. I already have the spacers addedand it raised up but springs were still soft if I pressed down on it. Want to buy bigger shocks and springs.
    Last edited by jrjr6565; 01-26-2013 at 02:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    How about the piggyback shocks by integy?

RC Qualifier
    Integy only makes one decent product and that's heatsink/fan. Big bores are a hair smaller than stock shocks. Losi Ten T or traxxas gtr shocks would be upgrades.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Near 90% of integy parts are an absolute waist of money/time! Shocks that will stop the chassis from slapping are losi ten t or losi sct shocks, also hot bodies D8 shocks or vorza shocks... all can be found for around $50-$80. You can build your own custom color shocks from strc parts that are the equivalent to losi ten t's and use ten t guts for around $75. Big bores from traxxas are a great shock too, but will not stop the chassis slap. Just so its known and said..... I slap the ground with my trucks all the time! We all do, its not a big deal, the traxxas trucks can take it for years on end and still run fine. I think you may be at the beginning of a learning experience here..... I'm not criticizing your parts choices, just sharing some hard $ experience! You will find that alloy is very important in key places for a strong basher but can quickly become overkill. Arms, links, body mounts, towers and some other spots are likely to bend/snap with a tumbling basher so be careful with your parts choices.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Competitor
    They make the gtr shocks for the pede? How are the one you mentioned as far as bending goes and strength for extra weight?

RC Competitor
    Are these right for the pede 4x4? If not need help finding the right sizes please. Orgering some tonight. Also my front end allignment is all messed up and I seen some different kits out there to make your wheels straight and for caster and camber. Anyone got a good recommendation on a kit for this and how to use it lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Fro...930#vi-content

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjr6565 View Post
    Are these right for the pede 4x4? If not need help finding the right sizes please. Orgering some tonight. Also my front end allignment is all messed up and I seen some different kits out there to make your wheels straight and for caster and camber. Anyone got a good recommendation on a kit for this and how to use it lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Fro...930#vi-content
    Before you go ordering parts you need to determine why your alignment is off. It may be just adjustements, or you man need to replace some worn parts. Castor is not adjustable. Front toe in is adjustable and rear toe is determined by what rear hubs you put on. Camber is adjustable f/r. Check your servo horn alignment and steering linkage. Make sure all rods are adjusted to the same length f/r. Get everything adjusted to where it should be and replace worn parts and your alignment should then be right.

RC Qualifier
    I have put alot of new aluminum parts on my truck and was all excited to see it put back together only to see it is heavier. It was sagging before I put the spacers on the springs which I'm guessing it will hit pretty hard when it comes down from a jump. Anyone know a good solution for the added weight as far as shocks go? Also I'm guessing the weight will heat up my motor so I'm also open to suggestions on a motor + esc that will not break down from bashing with the extra weight?
    VG Racing makes heavy duty springs for jumping. I actually cut 2 coils off each to optimize it between jumping and dirt track racing. You probably won't need any spacers with them.

RC Competitor
    parts are brand new, and maybe that's why everything is off. Would like to get the tools need to make sure my front end is in allignment? Was going to buy the losi shocks but cant figure out which ones are the same size in length as the stock ones?

RC Qualifier
    Losi Ten T rears for the rear and Ten T fronts for the front.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4551270

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up ordering the losi ten-t shocks already assembled. Can't wait to put them on

RC Qualifier
    I reckon you'll slowly move back to Stock/RPM parts as you realise Ally bends. But I'd still like to see some shots of it looking all blinged up.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I reckon you'll slowly move back to Stock/RPM parts as you realise Ally bends. But I'd still like to see some shots of it looking all blinged up.
    Yeah, I started with that too, but now I put function over form. I actually prefer my RPM black plastic rear bearing hubs to the red aluminum, which is sitting in the toolbox now. They're a pain to get the wheel bearings out of when you have to change them. And as you say, plastic bends and goes back, and aluminum bends........

Rpm stuff makes the truck more bulletproof which is what we all want at the end of the day....peace

RC Competitor
    I had RPM A-arms and carriers but the arms would start sagging after a couple of weeks. Always seemed to come from the pressure of the shocks which were stock. Got another set and same thing again. Wish I would have taken pix while they were still on.

RC Qualifier
    I had RPM A-arms and carriers but the arms would start sagging after a couple of weeks. Always seemed to come from the pressure of the shocks which were stock. Got another set and same thing again. Wish I would have taken pix while they were still on.
    Bummer! I've got a pair coming in this week. I guess I'll have to install them as a pair and keep the truck on the stand when I'm not running it. I've got hd springs and shocks on all four ends. Actually, I've gotten pretty good service out of the stock A arms. I will RPM would make some HD front and rear bulkheads. I've had the pin snap them off more than breaking A arms on my bigger crashes into immovable objects.

I always put mine on a stand its stops the foams in your tyres going flat as well ...peace

RC Competitor
    Yeah keeping it on a stand probably would have helped

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up ordering the losi ten-t shocks already assembled. Can't wait to put them on
    you will really like these. I have a couple sets of them and they are super plush and don't leak.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I always put mine on a stand its stops the foams in your tyres going flat as well ...peace
    Yeah, I guess I'll start keeping the 4pede on the turntable when I put the RPM arms on. Right now the tires I have on it don't have any foams in them - stiff rubber old style. When I wear them out it will be Trenchers like I have on my 2.8 12 mm hex wheels. The 2pede will have to sit on the shelf or a block under it.

RC Qualifier
    My pede sits on the floor of my garage with the battery in it, sometimes for a week or more and my RPM arms are straight as an arrow. I'm lucky I suppose....