RC Racer

How hot are your batteries?

I have been running my revo with a mamba 5700/sv2 on stock 6 cell batteries till my lipo charger gets here today. The batteries get EXTREAMLY hot. You can hold them but they are very warm. IS this common with the little batteries? The motor and speed controller aren't too hot after 1-2 batteries, just the batteries are.

I will spend most if not all of my time running the lipos when I get the charger but was curious.

RC Champion
    The SV2 and 5700 will be very hard on the stock NiMH batteries, that's why it's producing so much heat. Once you start using the LiPo batteries you'll see a big difference in battery temps, the LiPo packs should stay pretty cool.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You are pulling juice out of the batteries faster than they can handle.
    Especially with the power hungry setup you are running. I hope you have decent LiPo's and plan on running them in parallel.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I bought it used so the batteries came with it.I forget what they are.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Be VERY careful with used LiPo batteries... they could be ticking time bombs if they were ever abused.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    For sure! Lipo bag was included and used.

RC Qualifier
    Personally I'd just consider the lipos trash and get new ones (Thunder Power and SPC are great brands). Much better than risking the house. Also do as Jimmy says and only run parallel packs or your asking for trouble.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    Personally I'd just consider the lipos trash and get new ones (Thunder Power and SPC are great brands). Much better than risking the house. Also do as Jimmy says and only run parallel packs or your asking for trouble.
    i agree, i personally fried three stock nimh batteries in the last month(shame on me, i'm Learning) and a bearing kit on my velineon380, so no more running in series for me!

RC Racer
    I have ran the lipos 3 times each so far without issue. They get warm but not hot. I will probably replace the lipos in the future but I will use these and just always charge them in the bag. I chage in the brick basement and there is noting in to catch on fire. The table in metal and the celing is about 7 ft high so if the potential flames jump 4 feet.

Seems like this motor is a power hungry unit. What besides torque is it gaining me over a stock V set up? It drives great and is fast as expected but if I gan swap for a V unit I am water proof and longer run times? Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by custmemaxx1; 12-06-2012 at 06:31 AM.