RC Champion

Hot battery and a short run time ???

I picked up a 1/16 e revo from ebay almost new as is for really cheap, when i got it it looked brand new except a couple skid scratches and the stickers werent even on yet, the battery sticker was starting to peel back so it was charged a few times, it didnt even have all the stickers put on......but...when i charged the battery and used it, it got maybe 10min run time and the battery was HOT, the motor i could still touch.. after about 2 min of driving the car starts to stutter when you go full throttle, could this be the battery on its way out? whats the stock gearing on these ? any help would be great thanks.
    Last edited by jaman; 12-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Definitely sounds like the battery is worn out either from use or abuse.

Stock gearing is 28/50
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    i finally found a gearing chart and it says 26/50 ,,,, would 28/50 be better for me?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On the gearing -that depends on your driving style and terrain. If you car never gets too hot(above 150)you could gear up to 28/50 for a little more speed

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    On the gearing -that depends on your driving style and terrain. If you car never gets too hot(above 150)you could gear up to 28/50 for a little more speed
    Right now ime mostly worried about the hot battery, but it sounds like it might be done.my first time driving it and it was cogy so once i get it to run full out then ill look at the gearing and go from there... i ordered some nimh batteries but i can get lipos cause they wont pass customs......

Won't pass customs???
    I know of at least two fellow Canadians that order LiPo's without having issues passing customs.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Really,,,they are lucky and wont be able to get them soon then..... NOTICE: Effective May 16, 2012 the Postal Service™ Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Serves, listed in the Domestic Mail Manual section 601.10.20, codify that primary lithium metal, lithium polymer, lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batteries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internationally, and to or from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU (Universal Postal Union) HobbyPartz, NitroPlanes, Xheli, NitroRCX, and RaidenTech will not ship lithium batteries that are not permitted in international mail in addition to Alaska and Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Won't pass customs???
    I know of at least two fellow Canadians that order LiPo's without having issues passing customs.

RC Champion
    i havent been able to get them for about 6mnths now......

I could be mistaken... this is why my signature says what it does. lol
    Throw Krall and Pav a PM... maybe they can help.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Certain rules have changed with the USPS but you can order and have it shipped using ups spc uses ups now to ship international. A little more pricey but worth it for the current price of lipos now there. Give a look.
    I always had my stock and 1600 venom, duratrax packs get hot when running 23/50 even more hotter when running stock gearing.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    How long is a normal run time on that vehicle? My mini Grave Digger only lasted 8 mins on its first run.
    If the battery was stored for a long time it will need to be cycled a few times before it will hold a its full capacity.
    You may have something wrong with the motor. How hot did it get? Run time will be low if the motor has lost efficiency and is drawing too many amps. This could also happen if the drivetrain is binding or you have a bad bearing.