RC Enthusiast

Engine swap to 3.3

Hello,
    Hopefully someone will have some advice for me on this. I am trying to install a 3.3 Jato motor into my older 1.? Nitro Rustler.

My friend bought this Jato 3.3 and had it for 2 weeks before he broke the frame. Then he moved on and i purchased his whole car from him. Now i am trying to take his motor and install it onto mine. Do you guys have any info, pictures or videos, on how i can do this or the parts i will need to make it happen?? Or should i just replace the frame of the Jato, which seems kind of expensive.
    It has been sitting for a couple years now but was working great before it was sitting.

I would like to do this over the winter and have it ready for the spring.

RC Champion
    See answers in the Jato section. Keep in mind that it is against forum rules to post the same qustion in multiple forum sections.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Enthusiast
    PB it is the same post and it isn't. I'm new on here, kinda. But I see other than pics of rustlers there isn't many topics. And I was trying to see if anyone did it to a rustler.

I posted it on the jato end because, there are a lot more topics. So it seems more people will put more info about it on the jato end.

I posted it in two spots because it is about 2 cars.... Fix rustler or fix jato and wanted to see what each car owner ha to say. Lol

RC Champion
    If rusty has a 2.5 on it now. Just swap engines. If it has a .15, get the kit available everywhere.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't see the kit but I do see the engine mount.
    Tower hobbies seems to have a kit to change gearing but... I will continue looking.
    Is there anything else I should change in regards to upgrading to a bigger motor? Like parts that might break because of the power increase?

RC Enthusiast
    Never mind. Found it

RC Champion
    Plan on investing in to some extra idler gears, tires, and drive shafts. When swapping to a 3.3 your adding a ton of power. But well worth it. Gear it higher to help keep the front end down. Doing this will also help keep the other parts mentioned from breaking/wearing out so quickly. I would gear no lower than 22/72.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Plan on investing in to some extra idler gears, tires, and drive shafts. When swapping to a 3.3 your adding a ton of power. But well worth it. Gear it higher to help keep the front end down. Doing this will also help keep the other parts mentioned from breaking/wearing out so quickly. I would gear no lower than 22/72.
    my 2.5 rustler with 22\72 has too much accell. So i can imagine a 3.3 with 22.72 lol

RC Enthusiast
    Great thanks

RC Champion
    I have found that my optimal gearing is 24/70 on an 18tm. Plenty O Power and very fast. Temps stay around 240. The 18tm and the 3.3 are very simular as far as power goes.

RC Enthusiast
    Now I got the 2.5/3.3 kit for my rustler!! It will be a fun spring!!!

RC Competitor
    I have a 3.3 on my rusty, with the stock gearing. This thing is stupid fast and wheelies on demand. Have fun!