Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

So if I buy a summit?

Ok I was between the slash 4x4 and summit and I have some questions about the summit. Does the Titan 775 burn out as fast as my 550 in my sl2sh? Two weeks I think it was. Also if someone has a summit for sale for a good deal pm me please! What is the proper break in procedure for the 775?

Most common either or decider has got to be, do you have proper terrain to drive the summit. If you do not have somewhere to go and play and climb and challenge the truck it will get boring fast in stock form. Emphasis on fast, because it is not fast at all. Even on lipos (granted im only running 2x2s) i am completely underwhelmed when i drive mine on flat terrain.

Take a run through the videos above and see what sort of terrain I'm talking about

Given the spots to challenge the truck they are an absolute blast, heck there is a big rock at the end of the parking lot at work, i spent the better part of a lunch hour one day trying to climb it from different angles, finally made it up and i was happier than a witch in a broom factory 40-45 minutes of no, nope, no, crap, no, no, nope, no, nah, WHEEEE!
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

From your previous thread I see that you don't have a lot of challenging terrain. The Summit excels in places where you'd normally never expect an RC vehicle to survive let alone be comfortable. If you do not push a Summit to at least close to its limits, you may lose interest.

The 775 is a pretty robust motor and geared properly will last months if not years. The recommended break-in is driving slowly in circles. There are other methods as well.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    i just got a summit. before it i had a hpi baja 5t 1/5th scale. the thing i like most about the summit is it can go anywhere, i took it up in the woods behind my house, and had fun climbing rocks, pushing over weeds. being able to lock the diffs with the remote for that extra kick of traction is really cool. the stock motor for me is great and so far is holding up to my driving.

it really depends on what you want and where your going to be running it at.

The summit trumps the slash/stampede in ground clearance. And the power would not compare. The 775 is a good motor, although I much preferred the DeWalt. When you lock those diffs and drop it into low gear it feels like driving an unstoppable tank. It just pulls through grass weeds, mud, dirt, dry twigs, big rocks, lil rocks, hills. I have mine geared extra low(11/72) and it just plows through stuff. All be it slow , but it simply can't be stopped.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    I purchased a summit from ebay a few weeks ago for $400 plus $25 shipping. You can shop there. you might find one with a mamba monster in it for a desent price. I also purchased a brand new lipo version from the hobby store the day after thanks giving. It costed over $900. Im giving these to my kids for christmas. They are really awsome trucks. I had my kids help me build a race track this past weekend for my e revo so they thought but it is really for the summits. We live in the Delta of Louisiana and we have lots places to run such an Awsome RC Truck.

RC Qualifier
    Ok we'll I am most likely going to keep my sl2sh if I get a summit but I must sell it if I want a 4x4 slash. So my terrain is mostly flat ground but I have the sl2sh for the speed runs and the summit for the crawling? I am really not sure. If I get one do I have to have the exact same lipos? Because I have a spc 2s and 3s and there both 5400 mah but I am assuming I would have to get another 2s because I want another 2s and because of cost.

RC Qualifier
    The summit runs off 2 2s batts. From what I've read you want to run batteries as a pair ie same age and number of charge cycles. For best results you might want to buy a new pair for use in your summit. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Older Summits are not rated for it but can run 5S so long as the 3S is on the non-BEC side. It's a lot of fun. But I'm told that the newer EVX-2 ESCs with LVD have a hard 4S limit and will not operate on 5S.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Older Summits are not rated for it but can run 5S so long as the 3S is on the non-BEC side. It's a lot of fun. But I'm told that the newer EVX-2 ESCs with LVD have a hard 4S limit and will not operate on 5S.
    Could you not run 3s+2s in nimh mode with a couple LVAs then?

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Could you not run 3s+2s in nimh mode with a couple LVAs then?

I'm not sure if the over-voltage protection would kick on.
    5S max. voltage is 21.0 Volts.
    14-cell max. voltage is more like 19.6 Volts.

RC Qualifier
    I bought my Summit in June 2011, and the motor is still running, but it's not as quick anymore.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    ok well i am still really torn between the two. like i say i already have a slash for doing speed runs so i am not sure.

RC Qualifier
    So what do you guys think about dropping a MMM in the Summit on the occasions I want to go faster. I realize it would not be any good for crawling or true Summit style driving.

I’m talking about running it in high and NOT locking the diffs while the MMM is in it. I have/had an erbe and I have experienced diff issues over time, but do you foresee any issues outside of the ones I already experience?

IMO the Summit drive shafts are much stronger and pretty much everything else is the same with the exception of the 2 speed tranny and locking diffs
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Qualifier
    do you have trails/woods/creek beds/ mountains/ etc...?? you said you have flat land, like do you live in a suburbia type of town/city? if so, take it from my previous experience (2 summits: 1 stock, the last one BL!) you will get bored if you dont have good, challenging terrain

RC Qualifier
    I live On a farm so I can climb ditches and stuff and I have a cottage where I can go and drive around there as well. It's kind of in the hills I guess you could say so that's why I think it would pay off.

EDIT: does the summit come stock with lipos?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    does the summit come stock with lipos?
    The Summit would come with Lipos if you were to buy brand new right now. The trick would trying to find a hobby store that stock that model in Canada.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    The Summit would come with Lipos if you were to buy brand new right now. The trick would trying to find a hobby store that stock that model in Canada.
    Yeah I was thinking of ordering from tower hobbies in the states but I also could have my Lhs order one for me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking of ordering from tower hobbies in the states but I also could have my Lhs order one for me.
    or come to my LHS, they have 10 sitting at the back wall waiting to be bought
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Summit on a brushless with the stock tires will be truly awful, if you change out tres, you'll be fine, but those tires balloon way to much and you can't even control it
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    PM sent earlier.

RC Qualifier
    Pm replied