RC poster

Noob questions for the 1/10 slash and the slash vxl

hello! im totally new in the RC hobby! This would be my FIRST car and was looking at the Traxxas Slash... But, kind of lost since theres so much that they sell and that can be done to the cars.

My question is about the Slash (5803) and the Slash VXL (5807).. What are the real differences? other than brushed (slash) and the Velineon (VXL)..

If I purchase the Slash 5803 can I when the motor dies install a Velineon motor on it? Since the Titan 12T I guess gets 30+ mph but the Velineon with the right battery can get up to 60+? Or is that just a whole battery issue? with the right battery the titan can get up to 60+mph?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    Go with the vxl. You can't just put a velineon motor in the regular slash. You have to upgrade the ESC too.

Vxl has adjustable steel camber links, bearings instead of bushings, much better motor and esc, and stronger hardware. A slash vxl is about as maintenance-free as r/c cars get. Less work, more play.

RC Qualifier
    The XL-5 and VXL 2wd Slashes are identical, save for the ESC and motor. All Slashes come equipped with full bearings and hex hardware. The VXL is overpriced for what you get unless you find a deal or a good online coupon. A better option is to buy a roller or slider off of eBay for ~$100, and use the rest of the money to buy electronics, good tires, and your choice of body. You'll likely end up around the same price as buying a VXL outright, but you'll have better electronics.

RC Champion
    the titan motor will not get the speed or reliability as the VXL....brushless motors are far more efficient, better, faster, stronger...you get the point.

battery voltage is what makes the speed. XL-5 has a limit. As Dr. Isotope stated, a good option if you're looking to upgrade would be buy and build. If you're new and dont know where to start, brushed with be fine AS LONG AS YOU READ AND FOLLOW THE MANUAL!!! Over time, you can upgrade and have a good time doing that. I know I did

Good luck and WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!!!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the responses..

what is XL-5 and an ESC? So, if i understand correctly... the regular 5803 can be equipped with the velineon motor as long as the ESC is replaced as well?

And how does the 2wd stack up compared to the 4x4's? Would a beginner benefit from having a 4x4 in the long run?

and how about the 2wd 5803 compared to the 1/16 4x4 slash?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm also brand new to the RC hobby and got a 2wd VXL and love it! So far no problems or major fixes. The VXL is fast out of the box.

RC poster
    The XL-5 is the speed controller = ESC. You can buy the VXL system then you both get the motor and new ESC.
    Me and 2 friends got us a brushed slash about a year ago and we started of with the brushed version. after 6 month we had replaced 5 motors. but we have drove the cars in alot of snow so i guess that may have shortened the motors life alot.
    Anyway we all ended up with brushless systems in our slashes, but we decided not to go with the vxl so we bought hobbywing systems instead. Yes theres no problem fitting a brushless system in the 5803 slash. Just make sure to replace the tires. Get proline beadlock wheels and you wont need to worry about gluing :P

Im not american and my english aint the best
    Last edited by Fille_SWE; 12-05-2012 at 04:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    The XL-5 and VXL 2wd Slashes are identical, save for the ESC and motor. All Slashes come equipped with full bearings and hex hardware. The VXL is overpriced for what you get unless you find a deal or a good online coupon. A better option is to buy a roller or slider off of eBay for ~$100, and use the rest of the money to buy electronics, good tires, and your choice of body. You'll likely end up around the same price as buying a VXL outright, but you'll have better electronics.
    This is the best advice. It will save you a lot of money right up front and you'll have a very nice RC. I (and countless others) went the cheap route and got the brushed version first and very quickly had to spend $140 to upgrade to a brushless esc/motor combo, and then more $$$$ for tires (the stock stink), and bodies.

And someone else mentioned it earlier, but the brushed and brushless versions are exactly the same now except for the motor/esc combo.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

Listen to Dr.Isotope,he knows what he's talking about.
    If your a beginner,go stock.
    I have two,now both are brush less, but I have the xl-5 and titan in my box for places that require it to run stock class.
    One truck could even be considered a vxl,because all i changed was the esc(electronic speed control) and the titan to the3500kv velineon (motor).
    The other is far from stock. Waiting for my castle system for its next mod.
    Have fun!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    This is the best advice. It will save you a lot of money right up front and you'll have a very nice RC. I (and countless others) went the cheap route and got the brushed version first and very quickly had to spend $140 to upgrade to a brushless esc/motor combo, and then more $$$$ for tires (the stock stink), and bodies.

And someone else mentioned it earlier, but the brushed and brushless versions are exactly the same now except for the motor/esc combo.
    isnt dr. isotope telling me to go the cheap way and then save for upgrading to a brushless system? so, i guess the question is is it worth getting the XL-5 brushed and run the heck out of it and i guess "learn" from it.. and then later on spend the money for a brushless system? Or is it better to just out right get the VXL and fork out that amount? i guess it depends on how much i can get a brushless system for replacing. Can anyone give me a price range for a brushless system VXL or even other companies? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    IMO its better to spend the money now for the brushless. The VXL also has a setup so you can put it in training mode and get 50% of the power if its too much too handle for you off the start. If u buy the brushed u will soon be bored with speed and want more and by the time u gear up the titan for more speed you will just burn it out so just start with the vxl
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Competitor
    Not being as new to the RC Hobby but new to this generation of cars I went with my LHS's recommendation and went with a stock, Titan 2wd Slash. Just take care of the motor, get used to the handling, gearing, setup stuffs and once you get good then think about "upgrading" or getting another Slash only a VXL this time and have a Stock Class and Modified both!! They also could have pointed me to any high dollar or different car and they have a few but they just LOVE the Slash especially the 2wd for learning (and they are a BLAST to drive, too cool!).

The Titan motors are cheap, there's enough to learn and occupy you while you're learning about Lipos, ESC programming, shock setup (Pre-load, Compression and Rebound say what!?), gearing combinations, etc.

The Pros above say go big and I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach, if I'd had a little more swag I might have just done that myself but after getting a few lipos and the stuff I needed for the Slash it added up. Do go with the 2.4 Ghz radio at least, stay away from the older setups in my opinion...

Again I'm a rookie so take my comments with a grain of salt. Good luck, there are no bad choices either way and enjoy!

Again,listen to the doc,I kept my xl-5 and titan,for stock class racing,but if you want,traxxas offers a trade up,give them your old xl-5,and titan(even if its burnt)and they'll give you the velineon system for $130.
    I think you should keep your xl-5,and titans are cheap.
    I too am fairly new to the updated rc stuff.
    But the good Doctor,has never steered me wrong.
    Plus the velineon is a mid line brush less system,thou it is water proof.
    But you may choose castle instead.
    If I had done more homework before getting back in the hobby,I would have saved a$1,000 or more.
    And that's no joke.

RC Racer
    Just posted this elswhere as well but....

A. The sensible way to do it to do the motor last and the other stuff first.
    B. The fun way to do it is motor first other stuff after that.
    C. The most likely way to stick to a budget and keep your car running is A.
    D. The most likely way to blow your budget is buy installing a new motor then breaking loads of stuff cause you didn't upgrade first.

There really is no winning

But i too feel compeled to suggest accepting the wisdom the doc emparts - he's like a preacher only instead of a bible he has an RC transmitter

RC poster
    JKH,

What do you plan to do with your new Slash? Honestly, for a lot of people, the extra $$$ for a VXL isn't practical in one go. While building a truck sounds great, you end up with a custom machine, but you open yourself up for some real expense and you are on the sideline while waiting on parts.

The 2wd Slash is great truck all around....you can bash, and most clubs/tracks have a stock 2wd slash class. Also, some people spend a lot of money in the hobby, then 6 months later their expensive truck is gathering dust in the garage.

Only you can balance your $$$ against your desires.

LV

Amen Lord Vokk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vokk View Post
    JKH,

What do you plan to do with your new Slash? Honestly, for a lot of people, the extra $$$ for a VXL isn't practical in one go. While building a truck sounds great, you end up with a custom machine, but you open yourself up for some real expense and you are on the sideline while waiting on parts.

The 2wd Slash is great truck all around....you can bash, and most clubs/tracks have a stock 2wd slash class. Also, some people spend a lot of money in the hobby, then 6 months later their expensive truck is gathering dust in the garage.

Only you can balance your $$$ against your desires.

LV

RC Enthusiast
    My son & I started with brushed Slashes and I'm glad we did. Since the motor doesn't have the torque of a brushless system, your racing line and momentum are far more important for racing success. We had to learn to drive well to compete against beginners with brushless speed. The 2 of us are usually in the top 3 every week, even against brushless Slashes, RC10, XXX-SCT trucks. No one took us seriously when we started. Now people get really upset when we beat them in our brushed Slashes. We just make fewer mistakes than they do because we HAD TO learn to drive first. 6 months later, we're ready for more speed. I can only imagine how hard we will be to beat with speed too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FST4GM View Post
    My son & I started with brushed Slashes and I'm glad we did. Since the motor doesn't have the torque of a brushless system, your racing line and momentum are far more important for racing success. We had to learn to drive well to compete against beginners with brushless speed. The 2 of us are usually in the top 3 every week, even against brushless Slashes, RC10, XXX-SCT trucks. No one took us seriously when we started. Now people get really upset when we beat them in our brushed Slashes. We just make fewer mistakes than they do because we HAD TO learn to drive first. 6 months later, we're ready for more speed. I can only imagine how hard we will be to beat with speed too.
    Yeah i noticed the vxl system didnt have a lot of torque

RC Qualifier
    Don't buy a velineon. Get a castle 4 pole setup. Velineon is pooooop.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Already bought; waiting for Christmas day!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jkh View Post
    isnt dr. isotope telling me to go the cheap way and then save for upgrading to a brushless system? so, i guess the question is is it worth getting the XL-5 brushed and run the heck out of it and i guess "learn" from it.. and then later on spend the money for a brushless system? Or is it better to just out right get the VXL and fork out that amount? i guess it depends on how much i can get a brushless system for replacing. Can anyone give me a price range for a brushless system VXL or even other companies? Thanks!
    What Isotope said was to get a roller. Then get good electronics (Not VXL).

With the wisdom and $$ I've spent, here's what I'd do. Get a slash roller for $100, Sidewinder/3800 combo $120 at tower, Hitec HS-645MG servo $30, Flysky TX/RX $40, and then RPM parts when the stock plastic breaks. Every LHS has RPM replacements. And get the body you want. About $300 and a top notch slash. There's always more upgrades from there, if you need em. If it's a track racer, get a proline protrac kit or go for a LCG conversion. If it's a basher, you won't need that stuff. But the electronics are worth it. Racer or basher, everyone loves reliability and speed!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

I Agree with this,but remember if you get the castle,with the sidewinder esc your limited to 2s,but for short coarse the 4 pole 3800kv gives you more torque. The velineon is a decent system,for a 2 pole 3500kv, on 3s it has all the power a 2wd slash can use,I'm learning castle is king of power on the rc world, but for the price the velineon is water proof,and far from poop.I have both now,they each have a purpose,castle stays on the track,the vel,can play in the snow water,and so on.
    Have fun,listen to Dr.I,and happy rc-ing.
    Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    What Isotope said was to get a roller. Then get good electronics (Not VXL).

With the wisdom and $$ I've spent, here's what I'd do. Get a slash roller for $100, Sidewinder/3800 combo $120 at tower, Hitec HS-645MG servo $30, Flysky TX/RX $40, and then RPM parts when the stock plastic breaks. Every LHS has RPM replacements. And get the body you want. About $300 and a top notch slash. There's always more upgrades from there, if you need em. If it's a track racer, get a proline protrac kit or go for a LCG conversion. If it's a basher, you won't need that stuff. But the electronics are worth it. Racer or basher, everyone loves reliability and speed!

RC Qualifier
    I agree, the VXL is not poop. I just sold mine that worked well for me for 1 1/2 years. Once I figured out how to deal with the sticky button, all was well.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

What! if think the velineon doesn't have enough torque,your doing something bad wrong!
    My middle truck will do 40+ all day,and if i set it up to,it will lift the front wheels at any given time,witch slash's don't do as easily as other trucks.Do you know what torque is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobiispo View Post
    Yeah i noticed the vxl system didnt have a lot of torque

RC poster
    Go with the brushed even if u upgrade in 6 months its best that you learn how to drive the car and in 6th months you will learn how to change the electronics. The ability to just buy a $25 motor if (no when) you do something and break it is a luxury. I have only had my slash 2wd brushed for 1 year and i have only broken 2 motors. If you plan to race it many tracks have a stock slash class so that you don't get put in with the pros. Although it costs $150 to go brushless training with brushed motors it a great learning experience.

RC Enthusiast
    Ive had my brushed slash 2wd for about 1 month now and I love it. I thought the same thing when I was looking to buy, I was afraid of wasting money on a brushed 2wd set up and it being to slow. Well its faster than I had anticipated, while my friends who purchased some Associated SC10 4wd brushless cars are way faster and will blow the doors off of mine. I can keep mine from flipping over every time I turn or hit a jump and I havent broken anything on it either cuz I learned how to handle it.
    IMHO starting brushless would be kind of like giving a 16yr old kid a Dodge Viper as his first car. Start off with something you can handle and learn how to drive first then upgrade.

RC Racer
    Personally I'd suggest what I see as the best of both worlds, buy a VXL, run it in training mode -

"Training Mode™ limits full-throttle power to 50% allowing young or new drivers to safely develop their control skills before unleashing the full-throttle capability of the Velineon system."

RC Qualifier
    Training mode is pretty effective for drivers under about the age of 10 or so. But once their hands are big enough to activate throttle and brake with one hand, training mode loses it's effectiveness. Bottom line, the VXL-3s is a very limited ESC for the pricetag. It's sole selling point is waterproofing, and it's drawbacks are many. My son has been driving unlimited brushless since he was about 4-- and now (at 9) he outdrives most people 3x his age.

Associated T3 fitted with Moabs on Revolvers, powered by a Novak GTB + 10.5T combo. It would do about 30mph in reverse. But once his hands were big enough to actually grip the Tx, things got a lot more controlled.

Piece a build together. You'll be happier in the end, and you'll save money along the way.

RC Racer
    I will bow to the docs wisdom on this one - far more experience than me. I haven't even got kids