Thread: Top Speeds?

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Top Speeds?

Is Traxxas going to release the top speed of the helis or has someone taken the speed of one. I'd like to be able to attach a camera and follow my Merv, (obviously not that fast) and film it.

RC Qualifier
    Well since the dr-1 and the qr-1 are so small, you would need a really small camera or it will weigh it down, and if you don't get the camera center it would make the heli to be unstable
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Qualifier
    It would probably be able to keep up.. But something like the parrot ar drone would be much more suited for this.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

While FPV setups have been attempted and I believe successfully implemented on a micro-quad (camera was 6 grams), I'm not sure environmental conditions would allow the level of control necessary to track a land vehicle.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

+1. The amount of extra weight will only allow very docile flying. Not what you are looking for when you want to follow a Merv. You will need something bigger where a camera adds relatively less weight to the quad (or heli).
    Nobody is born with experience

You aren't going to fly as fast into the wind as you will when the wind is behind you...

But you may be able to get to a height where you have put some distance between you and the vehicle, so you would not have to be at the same speed to video it... Then again, there's getting the right camera set up that is light enough yet able to get the angle of shot you want.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    +1. The amount of extra weight will only allow very docile flying. Not what you are looking for when you want to follow a Merv. You will need something bigger where a camera adds relatively less weight to the quad (or heli).
    A total of 6 grams for a camera and transmitter is going to change performance?

RC poster
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    A total of 6 grams for a camera and transmitter is going to change performance?

If it is 6 grams, it would still be 20% weight increase. That is quite a lot for a heli. You might want a separate battery for a cam and TX.
    Not saying that FPV with the QR-1 isn't possible. There are combos that weigh around 1 gram. Which would cost you more than a QR-1 itself. Lol.

RC Qualifier
    I clocked my QR1 over the weekend with a radar gun. We got 16mph kind of a lousy pass. I would say expect a top speed of around 18mph.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Enthusiast
    That's pretty quick for a little palm sized quad!! Thanks for posting that up.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-12-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Must be quite some radar gun to be able to catch that insect

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Thanks a ton for the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Must be quite some radar gun to be able to catch that insect
    I have a Bushnell radar gun I am going to have to see if it will clock the QR-1. We are expecting rain the next few days so not sure when I will get a chance but as soon as we get a no rain day that both my son and I are home we will give it a try.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    Well since the dr-1 and the qr-1 are so small, you would need a really small camera or it will weigh it down, and if you don't get the camera center it would make the heli to be unstable
    Here's the cam: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition That would be a cool vid... I was thinking of a fiberglass mount for the QR-1 that would be a X shape with a circle for the mount.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Here's the cam: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition That would be a cool vid... I was thinking of a fiberglass mount for the QR-1 that would be a X shape with a circle for the mount.
    The GoPro is bigger than the body of the QR-1. I dont think you are going to make that work and still have the QR-1 be able to fly.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Ya Good luck with the camera idea... Thats the size of the cam i put under my 450 size FBL 3D heli... And that has quite the effect on that...

RC Qualifier
    I don't know how well it would work on the QR-1 since it's kind of small, but the 808 key chain cameras that a lot of people use on other helicopters and planes might work. You could even remove the plastic case to save weight. Just google 808 keychain camera and you'll find a lot of info on them.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by dsanders337 View Post
    I don't know how well it would work on the QR-1 since it's kind of small, but the 808 key chain cameras that a lot of people use on other helicopters and planes might work. You could even remove the plastic case to save weight. Just google 808 keychain camera and you'll find a lot of info on them.
    It's been done on another model of small quad. I think the added weight came to 15 or 18 grams.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I have a Bushnell radar gun I am going to have to see if it will clock the QR-1.
    Yep, same one I use. I had to fly it directly at my friend who was clocking me. It was a lousy pass because I was flying with damaged blades so it ended up hitting the grass. But either way, I was pretty impressed with 16mph. I would say 18mph is possible in zero wind... not sure about anything above that especially since the lipo's drain fairly quickly.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It's been done on another model of small quad. I think the added weight came to 15 or 18 grams.
    I know they work well on my MQx, but it's a fair amount larger than the QR-1. The only thing I don't like about the 808 cameras is that you usually don't know which version you are getting, so it's a crap shoot and sometimes you get one that doesn't take great video. Good thing they are cheap!
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta