RC Qualifier

QR-1 Review with video

I have limited experience with sub-$100 heli's and airplanes. I've been contemplating about getting into quads for quite some time. I've been so happy with all of my Traxxas vehicles that I decided why not spend $85 and give the QR-1 a try. I feel pretty confident that everyone's initial impression of it will be "That thing is small!" Despite its size, it's a pretty impressive quad in my opinion.

With that said, my QR-1 arrived this morning. I decided while the lipo's were charging that I would familiarize myself with the instruction manual. I highly recommend everyone does this as well. The elevator, rudder, and aileron trim's are pre-calibrated from the factory so you may see not all of them are zero. Mine required a bit of adjustment in order to dial the drifting out. My throttle trim was set at -8 from the factory... I have not adjusted that yet as I'm still getting used to things. I also recommend resetting the electronic stabilization if you notice any drifting (video listed below). My QR-1 seems to take a while to reset... I have to move the aileron stick back and forth for about 20-30 seconds until it resets.

I started out in 'normal' mode and the quad copter was very easy to fly. Getting used to the controls is the biggest hurdle. And keep in mind your controls flip as the quad goes from facing away to facing towards you just like with any other RC device. If you get too ahead of yourself, simply release the aileron stick and it will self-level itself out. For my initial flights I kept it under 10ft of flying heights. That way if it had to crash, it would fall on the soft grass which seems to provide a decent cushion for the quad's landing. Also, if it lands upside down, lay it back on level ground for several seconds so that the stabilization system recalibrates itself.

With that said, the quad is easy to fly in my opinion. After flying it through 2 charged lipo's (8-10min flight time) in normal/expert mode, I decided to test out the aerobatics. Long story short, I'm doing barrel rolls as well as back/front flips with ease now after practicing with it for maybe 15-20 minutes. The quad also has a decent speed to it. Flying it at full throttle in a circle and doing banked turns is a lot of fun after you get used to controlling it. For the money you really can't beat it. The qr1 is definitely hobby grade and seems able to withstand crashes quite well provided you are on soft grass. I'm very impressed with it. Hats off to traxxas for a job well done. Now let's hope they start making a larger scale model (24") in the near future.

Shooting a video of the QR1 is a bit difficult as it is very small. Since nobody has taken any video's other than traxxas, I figured I'd try to get something so you guys could see what this little thing can do. I already know this video is not the best in the world... it was about to get dark out and you can't clearly see the quad due to lighting and its size. But you'll get an idea of what it is capable of. Hopefully in the next few days I'll have some better video's in an open field with better day light.

back flip:

Flying, backflip and barrel roll:

Traxxas video's:

How to Flip and roll
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePo3ZyiIO_c

Motor arm adjustment - will be needed if you have a hard impact and cannot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ujN_gQlVk

Stabilization reset
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvsnMMENcg
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 12-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that reset is very important, mine had an issue with any slow rudder input it would shoot backward at a good clip. The reset cured that, now it turns in place as it should. I had problems trying to get it to reset until I seen another video, you have to move the aileron stick very fast left to right to get the lights to flash. I wasn't moving it fast enough until I seen the video, also you want the quad very level when you do the reset otherwise you will induce a drift...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Finally, a user video and review. All you did was make me want mine even more than I did before. Nice flying man... video action isnt bad for such a small/fast subject
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Oh man, look at that thing go. I can't wait till it gets here. Thanks for the vid, good stuff.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Very nice user review. So good that it can be used for commercial purposes aswell.
    The only thing that you would miss is the "Keli Snyder-touch"
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Everyone that is posting a vid of them flying theirs makes it look easy, sooooo frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivele View Post
    Everyone that is posting a vid of them flying theirs makes it look easy, sooooo frustrating.
    A little experience goes a very long way. This is more true with helis than almost any other RC vehicle.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Some people forget that this kind of machines use twice the amount of channels than cars use to control them. Makes flying at least twice as hard.
    There are good pilots of 1:1 planes and helis who make a mess of flying with an R/C.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    I shoulda did like you and flown in the grass.

RC Qualifier
    I got a chance to fly the qr1 on a golf course today. The range on it is very good. I have yet to get out of range mainly because it will get out of sight before range due to the size. I was able to get into full throttle for a while and this little sucker is pretty fast. I may try to clock it with my radar gun to see what kind of top speeds it has. I was also able to do some nice aerobatics. I got a few videos but they didnt turn out that great. Also, flying in 8-10mph wind adds quite a bit of a challenge to fly in.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Qualifier
    Very cool to hear how this little quad flies. I've been discouraged trying helis in the past and plan to devote some time to training on Realflight 6 this winter, but would also love to play with a quad like the QR-1.