RC Racer

WHATS THE BEST AND CHEAPEST CHARGER FOR A TRAXXAS 3S 4000mah BATTERY

so i have 3 nitros a revo,tmax and a 4tec, my gf is getting me the slash 4x4 brushless and the 3s 4000mah battery the chepest charger my lsh got is 129.99 lol i dont want to spend that much as i am a lover of nitro and not sure if i want to invest that much to a charger so whats the best cheapest charger for these out there?

RC Racer
    im willing to spend 50-80 in the charger

Don't laugh to hard.If your going lipo, Id go with the onyx 235. Its got a built in balance'r for lipos. A must if your new to lipos.
    It will charge up to 4s has built it peak shut down.
    there are many to chose from,but for the $89.00 I think its one of the best.
    Than you'll find 3s is fun for bashing,but most serious racer's wont let you run over 2s.
    On a short coarse the slash with a 3s is to hard to control.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    yea im a backyard basher lol i heard that about the 3s to hard to control i think i might have to pick up a 2s aswell i got a feeling that the stock battery is not gona cut it as i am use to nitro i allways said i;ll never get a non nitro , but after watching some videos i think i can be happy with one, still gona love the smell and sound of my nitros tho but winter is here and im sick or raping everything i'll check out that charger and a 2s, what would be a good 2s for this truck?

RC Racer
    i was just looking around on ebay whats these chargers like for the 3s 4000mah battery

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190702897237?...ht_5034wt_1163
    and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190711405129?...ht_5577wt_1163

RC Racer
    id get the onyx 235. its the same price as both of the ones you just posted.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...y-charger.html

$62

UNLIKE the Onyx you don't HAVE to balance every time.

You don't have to,but if you want your lipo to last,is better in the long run.
    and once he finds,as i did,how much lipos and brush less have changed rcing, those nitro's ,may never get UN packed.
    that guy in the market place had over $3,000 in nitro stuff,willing to take $400.
    Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post

$62

Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-06-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer

$62

Ha, i havent heard someone complain about balancing a lipo in a long time. whats the difference? it doesnt take any extra time, it does it while its charging. Id rather be safe and make sure my lipos are in balance and wont end up being garbage because i was too lazy to connect a balance plug when i charged it.

and actually, you can charge a lipo without balancing it on the onyx. i just checked

RC Qualifier
    None of you bashers that say that race do you? Ever tried to get two or three cars charged up between heats when you can't remove the battery from the car?

Its a pain. Trying to get that short little balance cable connected to the balance board on several cars, and with different batteries with different balance connectors, all the while its your turn to go marshal.

Not balancing the battery between two heats and a main isn't going to do any harm.

And actually you can't on a 245. It charges at .1 amp. I checked with Duratrax too...
    Last edited by .crispy; 12-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.

RC Racer
    None of you bashers that say that race do you? Ever tried to get two or three cars charged up between heats when you can't remove the battery from the car?

Its a pain. Trying to get that short little balance cable connected to the balance board on several cars, and with different batteries with different balance connectors, all the while its your turn to go marshal.

Not balancing the battery between two heats and a main isn't going to do any harm.

And actually you can't on a 245. It charges at .1 amp. I checked with Duratrax too...
    Im surprised your track lets you charge lipos while theyre in your car, EVERY track that ive been to in Wisconsin has a strict lipo bag rule. And i would never charge mine in my car, thats too much at risk if something did go wrong.

Ill have to try my friends 245 to see what it does but i know my 235 will let you......Yep it will, just did 5 amps with no balance connector with a venom lipo.

I do race, and i have never had a problem charging between heats. I bring 3 or 4 batteries for 2 cars, but the one i used is always charged before the next race.

And most of the time no harm will be done. But lipos can do weird things and 1 cell can drop for some reason, and if that happens and you dont balance you can lose a lipo. I have seen that happen which is why i balance every time.
    Last edited by WJ Jeep Guy; 12-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.

I rarely bash,and not removing your battery before charging,means your not even letting it cool down,first mistake.
    I have a lipo ready for every race of the day.
    And two for practice.
    Please be careful before you hurt yourself,or someone else.
    I have seen lipos blow.

RC Qualifier
    I have an IMAX b6ac from eBay for 34 and I love it. Works great!

I agree totally that balance charging isn't always ideal, especially running bigger batteries (cell count) or multiple classes at the track. But it's been my experience that when using a 50 or 80 watt charger, the balancer isn't whats hurting you. It's that itty bitty little charger that's pushing 5 amps into your battery, or even less amps if you're charging a 4S on AC.

Since purchasing a good charger, I don't really recommend any of the economy chargers anymore. They're just not worth the little bit of money you save compared to a good high-output charger and PSU. But if I absolutley had to, I would go with the Traxxas charger. A friend of mine bought one this past summer and it has proven to be a good reliable unit.

Oh, one more thing. It's a very, very, very bad idea to charge a battery of any chemistry in the car. Most tracks that have any sort of rules and organization don't let that happen. Seen people do it before and also seen what happens when something goes wrong. Best one was some genius charging his lipo in the buggy with a junk charger right next to a gallon of nitro fuel! Needless to say the fire was very intense.
    Last edited by harry697; 12-05-2012 at 08:55 PM.

RC Racer
    I am new to the RC scene and I read all of the little tags and stuff because I dont want my stupidity to mess stuff up. I always balance, better to be safe than sorry.