RC Racer

Suggest me a Lipo

Time to switch my Slash 2/10 2WD to Lipo.
    what should I get ? 2S ? 3S ?
    What charger ?
    Please recommend.
    Thanks.

p.s: im not into racing, just bashing around.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mudrunner; 12-03-2012 at 01:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'd stick with 2s for drive ability and 3s for speed runs though 3s is a hoot to just play around with. It will kill tires and make wrecks worse with the added speed and power.

For a charger i run an ac6, more commonly referred to as a battery cooker but I have yet to have an issue. Other can more accurately suggest a charger as I have not looked for one in years.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-03-2012 at 07:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    what do want to spend is more the question
    http://www.venom-group.com/LiPO-Star...category=19506

this is the one i run get 40 minutes hard bashing

http://www.venom-group.com/20C-2S-50...category=19506

RC Qualifier
    I see in the time it took me to find a good pack suggestion you changed batt. chemistry on me, I'm glad you decided to go lipo. I did find some good 7cell humps for 60-80 $.

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=59

Only if your using the VXL system, stock. If your running a 4pole motor I would suggest a 40C pack, SPC has some really good deals going on now.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-w-Balancer

Only for 2&3 cell packs, Its only 50 watts, so a 4cell will only charge at roughly 3.8 amps.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    So 2S is more than enough.
    Currently I'm running Traxxas NiMH 7-Cell 8.4V 5000mAh Battery, it's nice, gives around 20-25 minutes of fun bashing, do you think a 2S will last longer ?
    The starter kit looks good, but it's out of stock.
    As for $$$, I think I'll put up to 70-75$ all included.
    Please recommend, I really don’t have the slightest idea about Lipo
    Thanks.

p.s: im runing VXL system
    Last edited by mudrunner; 12-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    So 2S is more than enough.
    Currently I'm running Traxxas NiMH 7-Cell 8.4V 5000mAh Battery, it's nice, gives around 20-25 minutes of fun bashing, do you think a 2S will last longer ?
    The starter kit looks good, but it's out of stock.
    As for $$$, I think I'll put up to 70-75$ all included.
    Please recommend, I really don’t have the slightest idea about Lipo
    Thanks.

p.s: im runing VXL system
    thats what i have the VXL runs about 40 minutes on a Venom 5000 30c 7.4v 2S

RC Qualifier
    I get 40-60 mins depending how I drive with my 2s 5400 mah 50c hard pack lipo.

I have a venom 5600 60c 2s lipo I get at least 50 minutes with my castle 3800
    I also have an onyx 2s 25c 4000mah I get about 40 minutes
    My onyx has a weak cell and my venom has a snapped balence plug
    Only reason my venom snapped it was cause I forgot to unplug it before running.
    I payed 95$ for my venom and 44$ for my onyx
    Also the venom knock off traxxas plugs are terrible.
    Solder on true traxxas connectors or get you LHS to.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Ive ran traxxas, venom, thunderpower, eco power, smc, spc, duratrax, and a few i cant say, and when you look at EVERYTHING, you cant beat spc. I really do like traxxas lipos but they are a bit pricey, the 7600 2s is my favorite. but the packs i have been running and will be running are SPCs. they cost half the price of a venom and are much better cells.

Ive had 4 venom packs, all high c rating (5000 40c) and they were all junk. they lasted about 6 months until they started to become unbalanced and they only took a partial charge. venom did replace them but even the new packs didnt have as much punch as a 3 year old smc pack.

I just got an ecopower (5000 30c 2s) a week ago so well see how that works out, it was cheap so i figured why not. so far so good

The duratrax onyx lipo (5000 25c 2s) was kinda cheap but it wasnt worth it. it lost capacity very quickly and was overall just a cheap pack.

I had a thunderpower 5000 40c 2s a few years ago that was really good, but i couldnt justify the price. over $100 for a battery is ridiculous.

I have a 5000 25c 3s spc that is about a year old and is awesome, cells are within .003v every time, like new punch

A 3 year old smc 5200 24c 2s that is great, i still use it for bashing. cells are within .002v every run. and still has amazing punch and pretty much full capacity. my all time favorite lipo!

and all the ones i cant say were fine when they were new but they were short lived. they lost their punch and puffed within 6 months. it doesnt matter what brand, they were over rated and i will never recommend them.

as for a charger i would recommend the traxxas lipo charger, a duratrax onyx 235 or 245, or a dynamite passport ultra charger. ive used all 4 and they are all about the same price. they all work great and do the same things. the onyx 245 charges 2 packs at once but doesnt quite have the power of the other ones.

i personally have a onyx 235 that i really like. it does everything i need i like the way its set up

RC Racer
    Ive ran traxxas, venom, thunderpower, eco power, smc, spc, duratrax, and a few i cant say, and when you look at EVERYTHING, you cant beat spc.
    So, your 1st choise is SPC ?
    Can you recomabd a web shop tpo purchase ?

I really do like traxxas lipos but they are a bit pricey, the 7600 2s is my favorite. but the packs i have been running and will be running are SPCs. they cost half the price of a venom and are much better cells.
    What is c rating ?

they lasted about 6 months until they started to become unbalanced and they only took a partial charge.
    What do you mean by " become unbalanced and they only took a partial charge" ? can you please explain ? im really new to all that Lipo thing.

The duratrax onyx lipo (5000 25c 2s) was kinda cheap but it wasnt worth it. it lost capacity very quickly
    What do you mean by "lost capacity" ?

I have a 5000 25c 3s spc that is about a year old and is awesome, cells are within .003v every time, like new punch
    What " cells are within .003v " refers to ? How do you measure that ?

as for a charger i would recommend the traxxas lipo charger, a duratrax onyx 235 or 245, or a dynamite passport ultra charger. ive used all 4 and they are all about the same price. they all work great and do the same things. the onyx 245 charges 2 packs at once but doesnt quite have the power of the other ones.
    Way to much information here…
    Does Lipo batteries are charged differently ? what do you mean by "charges 2 packs at once but doesnt quite have the power of the other ones"

as a bottom line, could you recommend a Lipo + charger kit and place to buy ?

Thanks.

p.s: what do you think of that ?

can you recomand here something (Lipo + CHARGER) ?

This SPC, as mentioned i dont want to spend more than 70-75$ on everything (battery + charger), what would you rexomand ?
    Last edited by mudrunner; 12-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.

RC Racer
    Ok so the cheaper route which is literally a basic charger that just charges the battery and nothing else will get you around the price range. You could get a duratrax onyx 150 lipo charger and a spc 5000 25c 2s lipo. That will get you around your price range with a good lipo and a charger that wont burn your house down.

You can get the charger from a hobby shop or anywhere else, but you have to get the lipo from spc. just quick do a google search to find them.

And yes the spc is my first choice, they are great cheaper packs

Lipos do charge differently, if you charge them like a nimh they will overcharge and start a fire. You also have to have a speed control that has a voltage cutoff. The newer xl5s and vxl speed control have this. if you dont have a cutoff you will ruin the lipo the first time you use it. so make sure you do have this. it will say in the manual for your truck or the esc manual if you have a different one.

C rating is the amount of amps the battery can produce. a 5000 20c makes 100 amps. you take the 5 from 5000 and times it by the 20 to get the amps. And you will need a battery that is capable of over 100 amps.

When i said they became unbalanced thats a bad thing for lipos. because lipos are so sensitive that if 1 is lower than the other when it hits the cutoff that cell will go too low in voltage and will be damaged.

Losing capacity means it wont take a full charge and wont last as long

the more expensive chargers have screens that show cell voltages. so a cell that is only .003v off is good. if its .112v off thats bad, its unbalanced.

I highly recommend you do a lot more research into lipos. you have to know how they work in order to use them. They are sensitive packs and if something is done wrong it can mean complete failure of the pack and even damage to other things. Things like keeping them in a hot car and dropping them will damage them. so if you dont know how to handle them stick to nimhs until you have done your research.

RC Racer
    Thank you very much for the info.
    I think I'll take the chance and go for a Lipo, you have to start somewhere, right ?
    as for the low voltage cutoff, yes, I'm aware of that, i got it in my slash VXL.

Basically I'm looking for long run time with enough power rather than instant (short run) power or in other words, I'm looking for a battery to give a good punch for long run, what would you recommend:
    2 x 5000mAh, 30C, 2S, 7.4V
    OR
    1 x 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V

As for charger, how about that one

way is it much cheaper than the ONYX 150?

what do you think of that charger ?
    Last edited by mudrunner; 12-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.

RC Racer
    the charger you posted there is no good for thos batterys its only made to charge the highest 2200mah not the 5000 and 65000 you got posted there

RC Racer
    ok, please recomand what should i get ?
    also, what should i look (on the charger) for this batteries ?

RC Racer
    the traxxas charger is way too small for the big lipos, and if you use the second one there is a risk of fire. dont trust any cheap chargers from china. they have problems and thats why theyre so cheap. when it comes to lipos you cant go cheap on the charger.

as you can see i have all 5000 mah batteries. and if i drive full throttle for the full pack i can get at least 10min out of it. regular bashing i can get 30min to 1 hour out of them. so i would say get the 5000 25c

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=59

And i just thought of a cheaper charger. the dynamite prophet sport lipo. it charges at 2 amps, so it will take about 3 hours to charge a 5000 mah pack. and its cheap so it fits in your budget. so you should be able to get 2 lipos with it. the only difference between this one and the onyx 150 is it charges slower.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...harger-DYN4101

RC Qualifier
    ONYX 150
    WOW $92 for that cheaper at the LHS

RC Qualifier
    This is the lowest priced charger I could find that I would trust. DO NOT forget a lipo sack.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ery-Safety-Bag

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W

I see a lot of members that are trying to help you stay in your budget, but a charger that charges through the balance plug is not a good charger. Buy once and you will be better off in the long run.

With the above batt 28
    Charger 63
    Lipo sack 15

Total 106.00

Total cost 106.00
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    the charger is out of stock on that site

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by savingliberty View Post
    the charger is out of stock on that site
    It will be back in stock 12-7-12
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail