RC poster

Low budget rustler!

Just picked up two rustlers for my son and I for $150, I didn't think that was too bad! I want to leave my sons stock because he is only seven. I want more grunt for mine though, I don't need a 60+ mph crazy, just something that will pull wheelies and do some jumps. I have picked up a sidewinder sct with the 3800kv motor, so does anyone have a good recommendation on gearing for that setup? I'm running a good 2s lipo with that. I've been doing rc crawling, so this go-fast stuff is new to me!

RC Racer
    does your car have an rpm front bumper and traxxas wheelie bar on tbone racing front and rear bumpers/wheelie bar? You will need them it not! I am not sure for gearing as I am only goin brushless at christmas and thats with velineon

RC Racer
    I'm running the XL5 stock gearing 86/19 on my son's Velineon upgraded Rustler and it wheelies and jumps no problem, at least while the battery (nimh 3000mah 7 cell) is fresh. I haven't had any motor/esc heat problems with this setup. I bought an 83 tooth spur and a couple of other pinions but he's happy with the speed as it is now so I'll leave it alone until he wants more.

RC Champion
    With that motor/esc combo, you can gear it fairly aggressive. Stock rustler vxl is 26/83. You could do 28/76 on 2S and it would fly. You'd get close to 50 on that setup.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input, what are you guys checking temps with, and how hot is too hot?

Also, how does everyone figure out gearing, is there a chart, or equation to go by?

RC Champion
    Can't seek for the sidewinder sct with the 3800kv motor , but my vxl run 170-180f and I'm running 21/86 gearing with pabble tire 2.2 wheels , I do a lot of beach running . I've a on-board temp gauge , hears one off ebay . http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item5899509c14 and this is the one I'm using . http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-ON-BOARD...item58995bfcdd
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Wow didn't know there was even such a device!

RC Champion
    I think it works better then the gun because it's on-board . the sensor goes around the motor . double set tape or Velcro holds the gauge .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    As long as the ambient temp isn't real high you should have no temp problems with the 3800 in a rustler I run a 4600 with 21/83 on grass and dirt mostly grass the highest I have seen my temps was 150 that was after a3s pack in taller grass. Just run conservative for the beginning and check your temps. Oh and have fun with your son. The whole reason I do this is to get my three sons into a good rewarding hobby.

RC poster
    It's currently an 19/86 I also have a 90 and a ton of different pinion sizes, should I order more spur gears? do they come in sets?

What's a good way to check your slipper clutch to know its tighten just right?
    Last edited by Tgreer; 12-03-2012 at 09:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
    It's currently an 19/86 I also have a 90 and a ton of different pinion sizes, should I order more spur gears? do they come in sets?

What's a good way to check your slipper clutch to know its tighten just right?
    They slipper adjustment is turn the nut in till it's tight , then back it off a 1/4 turn . that's the starting point then find tone it from there , when it is adjusted right there should be a little slippage at hard throttle take off . Yes u can bye pinion gears in set .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 12-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Thanks for all the help! Someone told me I should run the rear a arms up front to make the front like the rear, what's the pros and cons to doing this?

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2wd drive slash like that have notice some more stability but not going to say it was fully needed but some improvement saw more from a pro track kit.

RC poster
    What's the pro track kit?

RC poster
    What size are the bearings at the carriers?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
    What size are the bearings at the carriers?
    they're 2 different sizes , 5x11x4mm and the smaller ones are 5x8x2.5mm . this depends on what careers you hv . If it has bushing you hv the smaller ones .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    If it's a newer Rustler I'm pretty sure you're gonna find it needs 5x11 bearings. I just replaced bushings with bearings and it was 5x11 all the way around.

RC poster
    Are you guys adding weight in the front so it lands better on jumps? If so about how much?

RC Competitor
    Typically, weight is added for high speed passes, not jumps. The added weight could contribute to part failures on impact. I have always used the throttle or braking to adjust mid air to try and land as evenly as possible. It takes a lot of practice to get it right. Just avoid being on the throttle when you land as that can cause breakage in the driveshafts. Im sure others can give you some better pointers or reword it to make more sense.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help! I will practice more!

RC Champion
    Go to utube and put in jumping rc , there are different videos on jumping .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    I've geared it to 21/86 on my SCT 3800kv setup, and it's just wicked

I'm running a 2s 30c 3000mah lipo, but seems to not last as long as I would like so I'm going to save up and grab a gens ace 2s 50c 5000mah!
    Last edited by Tgreer; 12-12-2012 at 07:26 PM.

RC poster
    What drive shafts does everyone recommend? I had the $30 MIP shafts on and they have both broke, the stock plastic lasted longer than these! I don't really want to spend $70 on the heavy duty MIP shafts either. Is there a shaft that is strong and under $70?