RC Enthusiast

New to RC and Traxxas picked up a used Rustler.

How's it going everyone I'm new to this and hoping I can come here to learn a few things. I picked up a
    Rustler vxl for 400 and this is what it came with,

It has been converted to almost 95% Aluminum except the RPM parts,
    It has the Traxxas Velineon brushless system,

Includes aluminum parts as follows,
    Fast lane EXTENDED chassis,
    Fast lane upper deck
    Fast lane shock towers front and rear,
    Fast lane transmission case,
    Fast lane front skid plate,
    Fast lane front bulkhead,
    Traxxas castor blocks front and rear,
    Traxxas hub carriers front and rear,
    Traxxas steering linkage,
    Traxxas 12mm hexes,
    Integy piggy back shocks front and rear,
    Integy HD wheelie bar,
    Integy front arms (Not installed)

RPM parts installed,
    Front and rear blue arms,
    Front body mount/post

RPM parts NOT installed,
    Front and rear shock towers

Brand New Pro-Line body, Brand New Stampede tires w/ rims, you also get
    New Traxxas 17mm adapters, Team Orion Advantage IQ balance LiPo AC/DC charger,
    (2) Gens 4000mah 2s 7.4v 30c LiPo batteries, Traxxas 2.4ghz radio system, (2) Brand
    New Traxxas rims with New Anaconda tires, (3) used Anaconda tires w/ rims,
    also comes with metal gear servo, (2) extra bodies, extra parts and tools, Jato
    drive shafts conversion.

I also ordered and will put on when i get them my sensors for my TQI controller with dock. Excited about that one.

Anyways any thing else I need to do or have to be ready? Thanks for your time, will get pics posted when I can.

Oh and I ordered but haven't gotten yet a 11.2 6400 lipo battery. Is it possible to run two batteries at once?

Also hate to be the noob but what is "bashing" ?

What gear setup should I use with the 6400 lipo and the 4000 lipos?
    Last edited by caughron01; 11-30-2012 at 01:45 AM.

RC Champion
    That's going to be a lot of weight for the stock velineon system to push around. Watch your motor/esc temps, especially on 3S lipo.

I'd gear it down a little bit, and use 32p gears. You'll probably strip 48p's easily with the extra weight.

A 16/54 setup on 32p gears is close to stock ratio. So I'd recommend a 13 or 14-tooth pinion and a 54 spur.

RC Champion
    Very nice setup though. That thing's more than capable of holding a larger motor and esc. Perhaps you could check out an SCT Race Pro combo from Castle. Or, if you're feeling really wild, a mamba monster/2200kv!

RC Champion
    That is a LOT of rusty. Good price. I to would look into selling your Vxl motor and putting a bigger can prolly a 2700kv system and 3s for daily fun. Would be bullet proof as well.

Oh and bashing is just farting around driving the rc outdoors lol. And yes you can run 2 batts at the same time in either series or parallel for either more power or longer run time.

Really need a mamba max esc and a big motor then your truck will really shine.

Welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by AZ Racer X; 11-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Qualifier
    +1 to all the above the stock vxl isn't going to like that I have a very similar set up with a mmp and a 1415 2400 in it on 4s its awesome and still great for bashing on 3s. Going to have to play with shock springs the bigger motor like to make the rear sag.

RC Champion
    Earlier I have some 32p gear recommendations, but those are too large if you still want to use a gear cover. You need something in the 40's or lower for a spur, and lower than 15 for a pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for the welcomes and info. As far as speed with weight I'm surprised I've gotten it in the high 60's according to GPS and the TQI remote phone app. My pinion is 20 something and the spur is 80 something not sure of exact numbers but it was in the middle area for both. My motor temp has reached 125ish while "bashing" and so far esc has stayed somewhat cool ordered a fan for it though. And may start motor shopping if I can fit more power why not lol. Thanks again for the tips and soon as I get my parts ill post pics should start getting Thursday or Friday.

RC Enthusiast
    Didn't get the parts I was really needing but this is my Rusty right now......

RC Racer
    Wow! That is quite a setup. With all that aluminum weight i would go with a castle 2400kv and a 120a-150a esc. I use the toro 120a on my heavy stampede and it doesnt get a tad warm. I usually unplug the fan because its annoying.
    Also i dont use the castle 2400 so i dont know how my esc would like it.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, So far I have had no problems with speed, its a little slower with my 2s 7.4 4000 lipos but the 3s 11.1 6400 lipos it is very hard to control, I can't keep the front wheels down. Temp wise, esc and motor stay pretty cool surprisingly. Honestly it looks heavy but its really not, it's pretty light actually. I have to say honestly I have no regrets here with this purchase or the aluminum. I have ordered and I am still working on my own customization's but it's coming along well. If and when I do swap motors I will probably go full Castle setup but for now it's running great. Oh and in the pic my steering servo is removed because I was cleaning it I do have it.

Parts that should be here tomorrow Hopefully are,
    Stock VXL Blue Body
    ESC Fan
    Steel Axles (hopefully better than plastic, I am breaking mine all the time)
    New Steering Bellcrank

Hopefully after that I am done sinking money into it for a little bit..... this is an expensive hobby lol