RC Enthusiast

Servo, BEC, and Light Unit Wiring

Hello guys, i'm working on a little bit of project for my summit, maybe i'll post later, but for now there are a few questions i'd like to ask before i start with my project, its about electrical wiring for the bec n servo plus light unit.

Okayy, lets start with bec and servo wiring.
    I'm going to use 2 fitec servo, each of them is 15kg, and i'm going to use CC BEC for this.
    So my questions are :
    1. There's a build thread that showing the CC BEC could be wired one for the 3 small servo, and the other one for the steering servo, how exactly am i gonna do this ?

2. Is it okayy if i use only 1 bec for all of the servos ?

And the other questions is about led light :
    1. What battery should i use to power my led so they can shine as bright as they could ?

Maybe that's all for now, all kind of explanations and helps will be very useful for me, cheers guys !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1) Yes, there is a build thread... cause I have seen it before; I just don't remember where.

2) Yes it is ok. That is how it is wired up stock.
    -- just as long as they can all be fed the same voltage.

1) That depends on the LED's. Traxxas LED's are designed to run off from 6v... any more and you might damage them.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    1) Yes, there is a build thread... cause I have seen it before; I just don't remember where.

2) Yes it is ok. That is how it is wired up stock.
    -- just as long as they can all be fed the same voltage.

1) That depends on the LED's. Traxxas LED's are designed to run off from 6v... any more and you might damage them.
    So, do i have to set the voltage in bec or just leave it stock ?

And can i use 2s lipo for the leds ?

Thanks man

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You will need to set the voltage. Traxxas servos cannot be fed more than 6v... I am not sure what the CCBEC is set at from factory.

2S LiPo is over the 6v that the LED's are designed to be fed.
    Why do you not want to feed them from the receiver or BEC?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    the CC BEC comes from the factory set at 5.5 volts.

To re program you will need a castle link and to download the castle software from their site. The software is free but the cable is $20ish.

Why not power the whole receiver with the CC BEC and eliminate the internal BEC inside your ESC?

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You will need to set the voltage. Traxxas servos cannot be fed more than 6v... I am not sure what the CCBEC is set at from factory.

2S LiPo is over the 6v that the LED's are designed to be fed.
    Why do you not want to feed them from the receiver or BEC?
    Just to make the led shine itself without taking any power from the rx, btw i'm not going to use traxxas led's, but there's other brighter leds...

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    the CC BEC comes from the factory set at 5.5 volts.

To re program you will need a castle link and to download the castle software from their site. The software is free but the cable is $20ish.

Why not power the whole receiver with the CC BEC and eliminate the internal BEC inside your ESC?

So how i'm going to wire it up together ? Should i wire the bec cable to the esc's battery cable n then disconnect some cables from the esc n connect it to the bec ?
    I'm going to use 2 servos, is it each can't take more than 6v ?

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the reply

RC Qualifier
    You can power the rx through any channel using a y connector. BUT YOU MUST ELIMINATE THE RED LEAD GOING TO THE ESC. This eliminates the internal BEC from the ESC.

Unplug servo, plug into female of y connector. Plug CC BEC into other female of y connector, plug male of y connector into rx.

RC Enthusiast
    You can power the rx through any channel using a y connector. BUT YOU MUST ELIMINATE THE RED LEAD GOING TO THE ESC. This eliminates the internal BEC from the ESC.

Unplug servo, plug into female of y connector. Plug CC BEC into other female of y connector, plug male of y connector into rx.

Do i have to join the cable from the 2 servos to became one so it's soing to be plug to the female of the y connector ?
    And also the red lead on the esc, should i unplug it and then plus it to the red lead of the bec ? Thanks
    Last edited by B45Y4H; 12-05-2012 at 05:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Use an Xacto knife to lift the tab on the plug of the ESC and gently pull the red lead out of the plug. Fold it over and tape it to eliminate it. DO NOT COMBINE IT WITH THE BEC WIRE. That would be the same as not removing it at all. Things will go POOF!

Also the CC BEC needs to be wired to the same battery used to power the existing internal BEC. (Mine has the red tag on it but you will want to double check)

I meant unplug a servo from the receiver (like channel 3) and plug it into a "Y" connector. Plug the external BEC into the other end of the "Y" connector.
    Then plug the "Y" connector into the receiver...AFTER you have eliminated the red lead from the ESC. (As explained above)

Last edited by happymachinist; 12-05-2012 at 06:15 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Use an Xacto knife to lift the tab on the plug of the ESC and gently pull the red lead out of the plug. Fold it over and tape it to eliminate it. DO NOT COMBINE IT WITH THE BEC WIRE. That would be the same as not removing it at all. Things will go POOF!

Also the CC BEC needs to be wired to the same battery used to power the existing internal BEC. (Mine has the red tag on it but you will want to double check)

I meant unplug a servo from the receiver (like channel 3) and plug it into a "Y" connector. Plug the external BEC into the other end of the "Y" connector.
    Then plug the "Y" connector into the receiver...AFTER you have eliminated the red lead from the ESC. (As explained above)

So i just have to unplug 1 servo cable from the rx and then plug it to the y conn ? How about the other servo ?
    Sorry, noobs about everythings

RC Qualifier
    What other servo?

RC Qualifier
    Channels 1&1 are steering servos
    Channel 2 ESC with red wire removed
    Channel 3 "Y" connector with hi/lo servo and CC BEC
    Channel 4 diff lock
    Channel 5 diff lock (and current LED power I believe...I don't have the truck in front of me)

Are you using the two hitecs as steering servos?

RC Enthusiast
    Channels 1&1 are steering servos
    Channel 2 ESC with red wire removed
    Channel 3 "Y" connector with hi/lo servo and CC BEC
    Channel 4 diff lock
    Channel 5 diff lock (and current LED power I believe...I don't have the truck in front of me)

Are you using the two hitecs as steering servos?

Yes i use 2 fitec, well its not hitec because i see that this ftec brand is cheaper ad the quality is more or less the same...Owh so i put the bec for the hi lo servos but not for the steering ?

RC Qualifier
    Using the BEC the way I have described will power ALL servos hooked to the receiver.

The BEC that is inside the ESC feeds the receiver through channel 2 in factory form.

It does not matter what channel power is supplied to, it will feed the rest of the channels and servos. But you can't use the two BECs at the same time that's why the red wire must be eliminated from the ESC.

The positive and negative pins are on the same circuit to each other, they are essentially on a rail. You can ohm from neg to neg or pos to pos and it should show continuity. Basically all the negatives are a circuit and all the positives are a circuit. The signal is what differs.