RC Racer

Can't control my 2WD

So I've been playing around with my slash 2WD for awhile, heaving ton of fun, but….
    It looks to me that this specific car (or maybe all of this 2WD with back driven wheels) is very hard to control.
    I can't start hard on the acceleration because it immediately starts spinning around and get out of control, and also when going straight it's hard to keep a straight line.
    Battery is stock Traxxas !
    If I'm trying to corner, it have to be really slow or else it will lose track and will spin with over steering etc…

I've tried many deferent settings on the front shocks.
    Rear shocks where replaced with a 1/8 shocks and Traxxas oil as the rear end was way over bottoming on every small jump.
    Front shocks springs where replaced with the rear springs which are same stiffness but a little bit longer, by doing that, there is no more need for the spring preloads (plastic clips).

I've also tried different gearing, moved to a lower speed and higher speed than stock but no luck.

Sure a 4x4 is probably easier to control but I think the biggest problem of the 2WD loosing front traction is due to un proper weight balance, it looks like the frontend is much lighter than the rear-end which cause the front wheels to raise (whilly) on any acceleration or small bump and there for losing control.
    What do you thing guys ?

RC Qualifier
    i have a hard case lipo battery in mine and i slid it as far forward as it will go and put the foam that the battery came in at the back fixed my problem but yours sounds more like a driver issue

RC Racer
    Are you still running the stock tires? If you are you are going to want to replace them with something stickier.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trashyrich View Post
    Are you still running the stock tires? If you are you are going to want to replace them with something stickier.
    Yes, still with the stock ones but I've just ordered this 17mm hex big blocks + 17mm hex adapters.
    Hope it will be better.

RC Qualifier
    I have a stock 2wd too, and they only way I have gotten good at it is by trial and error. You gotta kind of learn how to correct the truck, almost like you are drifting it. Mostly the only thing I drive on is gravel, and even though it has beaten by car up, I have gotten really good at steering. You will just have to learn and try. Good Luck

RC Racer
    I am sure it will be better. I run on a clay track and the difference between stock tires and after market is night & day.

I have two 2wd slash's both brush less,one pro line race trans,the other stock traxxas trans
    One has all the fancy mods,the other as close to stock as i can keep it.
    They only way mine will wheely,unless i want it to,is if i catch to tacky piece of a ground surface under throttle up.
    Your stock slash,I believe,has 3 degrees of rear positive toe?
    i run my stock at 0.5, and it can be a hand full on the dirt,or street.
    the mod as a rule i run+3.5 not as fast but far more controllable.under power and corning.
    Stop spending money on mods,and use what you have,bumpy dirt surface's bring rear shocks in a control arm hole closer to the inside.(you have five adjustment holes)Put your fronts to the inner c arm hole.
    Less rough harder conditions do the opposite.
    Listen to trashyrich, tires and surface conditions are indeed night and day!
    learn to get out of the throttle coming into corners,this will reduce under steer,power out of the corner slower.
    Learn how to adjust your slipper if you want the front end to stay down.
    I have seen good rc drivers run circles around 4wd slash's with 2wd's.
    In fact,my friend a pro sponsored by miller took my stock except the velineon system,and put it in two first place and one second,against highly mod'ed castle powered trucks.
    The driver is 75+% off the equation.
    Keep practicing,try not to over correct,and you'll get it.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Take a little time here and begin to see what helps and why for vehicle stability and chassis dynamics. I have found this website very useful.
    http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Also your tires are very important to grip and cornering, there are many good tires to pick from, if not sure contact the manufacturer and they will recommend tires to you

RC Qualifier
    My answer to everything is loosen the slipper less power to the ground and move your bottom shock mounts to the outside of the arm made a big difference for me
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

That's fine,and will work.But wait for the first really hot day, when you melt your spur gear and have a mess back there.
    Your idea is valid,but to much slipping isn't that good either,not knocking your set up,i just never had a problem with keeping my front end down.QUOTE=MAYHEM6969;5351836]My answer to everything is loosen the slipper less power to the ground and move your bottom shock mounts to the outside of the arm made a big difference for me[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Im not sure what you mean by melting a spur gear i live in mississippi on july fourth it was 95 degrees outside and i ran mine all day long with a loose slipper. but too each his own
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

I'm not saying your idea wont work,I live in Michigan,and have seen more than one slipper,set to loss on a short coarse,and slip enough to create enough heat to melt the spur gear.I don't just drive around,most of my rc-ing is on the track.
    continuous, throttling up and down, landing jump after jump,breaking into corners,these things put continuous torque on the slipper.
    Now if your just bashing around fine.If your going to do any serious racing ,your slipper is a serious tool,that needs proper adjusting.
    Track surface,air temp,coarse layout,gearing,All things needed to properly adjust your s clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    Im not sure what you mean by melting a spur gear i live in mississippi on july fourth it was 95 degrees outside and i ran mine all day long with a loose slipper. but too each his own

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    If your slipper clutch is to loose, it will create a lot of heat and that heat will transfer to your spur gear.

Oops late post.
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-06-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

No worries Shaky17,I just wonder how many people really races,and how many just bash around? Bashing's fun now and then,but wheres the challenge?

RC Qualifier
    I bash all the time. Only been to the track twice. It's a lot more fun to me to bash, especially with other guys beating up stuff too!

RC Racer
    I go to the track and dont race. Is that considered bashing? just kidding.

RC Racer
    I had the same issue when I started a few months ago.no control at all.did some bashing.got pretty good at doing 360° and running into curbs.then I found a dirt track somewhat close to home that I can use usually anytime I go there.It was'nt much fun to begin with because I was zig zagging all over the place but I kept going and I have learned enough control now for it to be fun.I have lots of upgrade parts to install but I decided to wait till I have decent control first so I can tell if it really helped or not.could just seem that way do to my unskilled driving ability.so anyways,the track has helped me in gaining control of my throttle vs steering much faster than bashing was.I'm almost comfortable enough now to start adding some of my upgrades and see if I like them.just my 2 cents worth.
    anyone have an extra truck,I broke mine again

First, A high powered 2wd sct is pretty hard to control(guessing its a vxl system?). A stickier pair of rear tires will make the truck a little less tail happy.

2, the 1/8 rear springs may be too stiff for the weight of the truck, and the thin 30 wt oil you put in those shocks. Springs and oil go hand in hand, and have to match up. If those rear shocks are from a 1/8 buggy, they are made to support an 8 lb buggy, not a 5 lb sct.(solution: softer springs that fit those shocks and slightly heavier oil, 40-50wt, if the oil is too light, the shocks will rebound and compress to fast, causing the tires to bounce and loose contact with the surface)

3, springs that are too long (Springs compressed without any spacers or preload) wont let the suspension sag at all. The ft tires must be able to drop into ruts and imperfections in the surface. If the shocks are precompressed, as the tires encounter low points in the track, the tires will not drop into them, but skip over them.

This all adds up to a very unpredictable handling truck, and the tires are loosing contact.

Check this out:
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

More like a buck,bet the first time,if you really race,and find out how much fun putting your driving skills up against others,you'll be hooked.
    Bashing's fun,I do it now and then. But i all so have two tracks very close,far more fun,anyone can go flying over a jump. But when you can land it two feet before a u turn,bring it around ,and never lose control,I think is more rewarding.
    either way you have fun,so do what you enjoy the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by troylynch View Post
    I had the same issue when I started a few months ago.no control at all.did some bashing.got pretty good at doing 360° and running into curbs.then I found a dirt track somewhat close to home that I can use usually anytime I go there.It was'nt much fun to begin with because I was zig zagging all over the place but I kept going and I have learned enough control now for it to be fun.I have lots of upgrade parts to install but I decided to wait till I have decent control first so I can tell if it really helped or not.could just seem that way do to my unskilled driving ability.so anyways,the track has helped me in gaining control of my throttle vs steering much faster than bashing was.I'm almost comfortable enough now to start adding some of my upgrades and see if I like them.just my 2 cents worth.

RC Racer
    Juts a quick update….
    I finely got the 17mm hex adapters for the 1/8 wheels with the big blocks tires, just when I was planning to install them, I crashed the truck very heavily into a fence.
    Anyway, after replacing all the broken parts I assembled the new big blocks and took some time to adjust the wheels angle compared to the body etc…
    Bottom line, I took the truck last Friday for some testing, the improvement is nothing less than amazing!
    The handing now is much better, I can run it full throttle on a straight and then start power slide it left and right and take it back straight and it will stay that way.
    I measured 47km/h (stock battery, stock gearing) on dirt trial while power slide it and back to driving straight.
    If I would done that with the original tires I would lost it immediately.
    Also the acceleration is much better, no doubt this big blocks really eat dirt!

RC Racer
    Juts a quick update….
    I finely got the 17mm hex adapters for the 1/8 wheels with the big blocks tires, just when I was planning to install them, I crashed the truck very heavily into a fence.
    Anyway, after replacing all the broken parts I assembled the new big blocks and took some time to adjust the wheels angle compared to the body etc…
    Bottom line, I took the truck last Friday for some testing, the improvement is nothing less than amazing!
    The handing now is much better, I can run it full throttle on a straight and then start power slide it left and right and take it back straight and it will stay that way.
    I measured 47km/h (stock battery, stock gearing) on dirt trial while power slide it and back to driving straight.
    If I would done that with the original tires I would lost it immediately.
    Also the acceleration is much better, no doubt this big blocks really eat dirt!