RC Competitor

How to convince my parents to buy me. A xo-1

I have 2 rc's 1 rustler with vxl motor and a hpi.
    I rly want the xo-1 thanks
    To let me buy it it's 1000 dollrrs

RC Racer
    i wll let you know how to get it when i figureout how how to get my wife to let me have one lol

RC Competitor
    Hahahah LOL

RC Qualifier
    Maybe put up $500 of your own money and ask them to go halves. That approach is a lot more likely to get approval since it's less cash out of their pocket and it demonstrates your ability to approach the situation responsibly and with consideration of what is and what is not reasonable.

RC Competitor
    My dad says that's a waste of money it to much well maybe my dad might get it for me but surprise on Christmas

I am 14 years old by the way
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-03-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    I think you should work for it or at least half of it. If you show that you want it THAT bad, your parents are more likely to assist you. If you want it for novelty then its a waste of money.

Not to mention, if you work for it, you will appreciate it more and be less likely to beat it to heck.

Thats how you convience your parents you want it....

RC Champion
    Letter to Santa?
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xl.5 View Post
    My dad says that's a waste of money it to much well maybe my dad might get it for me but surprise on Christmas

I am 14 years old by the way
    No offence but just because your 14 doesn't mean you can't make money. I am 15 and have a job and can provide mostly for myself. I have a friend who has over ten thousand dollars. Then again he's worked a restaurant job since about 10 and has only bought a 500 dollar laptop and 700 dollar bike so yeah but still.

RC Qualifier
    Im 13 and got one. What i did was do all of the chores, any extra help, good grades, and i am the family fixer for things that break. I had to do that for about 4 months.
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Qualifier
    I myself am 15 years of age, i have a job and bought nearly every rc i have (I.E. emaxx with cvd's, and golden horizon bulks; a e revo kawasaki edition; and a summit kawasaki edition) your best bet is to ease your father into the hobby, get him addicted; and then try to convince them to go half and half with you. I have gotten my Father into the hobby, God knows i cannot get him to go half and half with me on a rc. Because i do not have the money for a xo-1, i went the cheap route, and bought the motor, esc (with capaciter), and batteries out of an xo-1, i plan to install them in my e revo once i get the right gears; but sense my lhs is 100 miles away, i have to wait a little bit...
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Competitor
    In the summer i had a job with my dad I bought a 2000$ computer in my own and a 450$ 3d monitor but i got school so I don't work now

RC Enthusiast
    Work around school.

If you really want it, convince yourself to get it, not use the internet to persuade your parents.

If you truely want the xo-1, you yourself should find a way to obtain it.
    just sayin, not hatin

RC poster
    I'm 15 also. You gotta put some of your own money into it. $1,000 is a heck of a lot different then $200 (price of rustler vs price of xo-1)
    I wouldn't even consider having my parents buy me something. You really should try to save up money for it, and make money for it.
    Emarknot had a good point, if you really want it, buy it yourself. That way the purchase will also be more satisfying, and you will treat it better. It's definitely doable, I spent close to $5,000 on an Rc boat, and it was all my own money. I earned the money by working, and building and selling Rc boats. It was actually pretty easy.

RC Qualifier
    Save the money and buy a real car in two years.

$1000? That's a lot of money even for me and I'm over 2x your age. I had a hard time dropping that amount at a local home improvement store on eight interior doors and four sets of closet doors--all solid wood and they were 25-30% off at the time!
    Unless your parents are 1%ers and buy you everything you wish, you'll have a hard time asking for them to shell out that kind of money for one.
    Earn the money and shell it out when you have enough. If you haven't learned the value of a dollar and hard work you will then. And that's what I hope your parents are going to do. They may see that you are responsible enough and will allow the purchase and you will have a greater appreciation for the product and take better care of it. How many times have we seen mommy and daddy buy something their kid wants and it gets trashed?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    show them a video of the promo video they will buy 2 of them then. one for you and one for them

RC Champion
    I have to say, $1000 is a lot of money to spend especially in today's economy. I was fortunate enough to get an XO-1 when I did. I know my son would love to have one also, but there's no way I could afford another. As stated, find some way to earn some money and maybe they'll help you out.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    $1000? That's a lot of money even for me and I'm over 2x your age. I had a hard time dropping that amount at a local home improvement store on eight interior doors and four sets of closet doors--all solid wood and they were 25-30% off at the time!
    Unless your parents are 1%ers and buy you everything you wish, you'll have a hard time asking for them to shell out that kind of money for one.
    Earn the money and shell it out when you have enough. If you haven't learned the value of a dollar and hard work you will then. And that's what I hope your parents are going to do. They may see that you are responsible enough and will allow the purchase and you will have a greater appreciation for the product and take better care of it. How many times have we seen mommy and daddy buy something their kid wants and it gets trashed?
    The sad part about an XO-1 is no matter who pays for the car it's going to get trashed!!! If the car wasn't zip tied down in the box it came in it would probably wreck itself!

Be sure to save enough up for the car and then for all the repairs you're going to have to pay for!

I agree with someone else who said save up for a car instead, unless you have a job lined up within walking distance from your house or the bus stop. If I were you I would get a Rally 1/10 instead. That car looks fun and you can afford to wreck and repair it quite a few times for the price of an XO-1.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    The sad part about an XO-1 is no matter who pays for the car it's going to get trashed!!! If the car wasn't zip tied down in the box it came in it would probably wreck itself!

Be sure to save enough up for the car and then for all the repairs you're going to have to pay for!

I agree with someone else who said save up for a car instead, unless you have a job lined up within walking distance from your house or the bus stop. If I were you I would get a Rally 1/10 instead. That car looks fun and you can afford to wreck and repair it quite a few times for the price of an XO-1.
    not only that, you would be able to afford a complete over hall with full alloy everything! and still have cash left over lol
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by xl.5 View Post
    In the summer i had a job with my dad I bought a 2000$ computer in my own and a 450$ 3d monitor but i got school so I don't work now
    You could try selling these to buy an XO-1. My monitor has 1 less D than yours and it works just fine.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I think you'll be setting yourself up for a big let down if you go through so much trouble to get the xo-1. I bought the xo-1 right after it came out and was disappointed with it the whole time i had it, and had a big ol smile on my face the day i sold it to my buddy. I tried to like the car but without a very large and extremely smooth place to run it, it was kinda like driving a brushless rc on 3s lipo...in the kitchen. Even the places that i was sure would be big enough, got very very small once I got the car there. Its too fast for anything besides a racetrack, and too hard to control if the asphalt isnt squeaky clean and new or at least warm from the sun. Needing such a large area to run it, makes the fun of owning it very limited. I figured i would like it because i have so many other rc's that could do all the other fun bashing stuff, but I ended up disliking the xo-1 because it couldnt do any of the other fun bashing stuff. Since i was pretty disappointed with the xo-1 and i only had to give up two days worth of wages to buy it, imagine how you will feel if you work for several months to finally get it and find you dont like it. In my opinion, the xo-1 isnt something you should work your butt off to get unless you have somewhere to run it whenever you want, otherwise you will just get angry while you stare at it sitting on the shelf. You have a rustler already, you do know that it can be made to go 100mph right? And it could do it for a lot less than the cost of the xo-1. Plus the rustler can be easily switched back into a basher truck when you get sick of doing just speed runs. Whatever you decide, just make sure that you will be happy with it in the long run. Sure the xo-1 is a cool car and will make all your friends drool, but that wears off real quick. Your 15, get yourself a real car, chicks dont dig guys with $1000 rc's cuz it doesnt have a make up mirror and it takes too many battery packs to drive it to makeout point. Good luck and have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Competitor
    I dont belive its the best value. Get a erevo cheaper, still fast, and off road capebilities. If you still want one i got one for sale on the mp
    Xo-1, rusty vxl, slash brushless i love traxxas

RC Enthusiast
    Lucky kid, I wish my parents bought me a brand new ANYTHING when I was younger lol.
    Learn to work for your stuff even at a young age, you will come out better in the end.

RC Competitor
    Buy a 4-tec...I love mine far more than my xo-1. It is so much fun to drive and never breaks. The XO-1 doesn't handle and my revo is always breaking. My 4-tec is my favourite traxxas product so far.

RC Qualifier
    get priorities! if rc is number one on your priority list, then you'll find a way!
    here are my priorities:
    1. 1:1 racing
    2. girls
    3. my future ($)
    4. rc
    5. school
    6. sports
    boom, right there! i already have a real car though, so i'm not worried about that.

Really make sure the xo-1 is the car you want though. Not just because it 'goes fast'
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC Qualifier
    This is my list:
    1:1 truck
    Girls
    Rc
    Girls
    Quading
    Girls

Sent from my super super fast iPhone 4S in white!

RC Qualifier
    you arnt ready for a xo-1 yet
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I've spent over $650 of my money on my Mini Revo since I started saving up in June so if you have head start you could save up for one in a few months

RC Champion
    its hard to convince my dad to get me a 3 dollar spur gear. I mowed lawns over the summer, and my 2 rcs are heavily upgraded. Probably $3000 invested in my RC collection, my friend on the other hand has maybe $10,000 in RCs, hes 15, works with his dad at an auto shop and has 25 rc cars, yes 25 rc cars and hes 15. Get a little job or whatever you can do to get some money and go from there
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Champion
    Im 50 and money isnt an issue but I still cant convince myself to buy one. Much of it is noted above with very limited use. Smooth long stretchs. Im afraid in my house it would be a very expensive shelf queen.

As a parent I could tell you my answer would be no with some colorfuls metaphors added in. For something that would spend most of its time on a shelf you could buy and build a 1/8 scale Lamborghini and customize what you can see to no end for less than $100 and it takes up the same space on the shelf and may even look better!

My wife and I dont argue with eachother about expenditures, probably mostly because we both have the same mindset. I can tell you with no doubt that if I was to drop $1K on this car she would drop hints of how I need to make an appointment with a shrink.

RC Champion
    I'm 15 and I have a job too (only make like $150 a year at the most). Just ask a neighbor that works a night shift if you can do stuff for them, they don't want to mow their lawns at 4 in the morning....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Get your parents credit card number and place the order online at Tower Hobbies.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by reyesjhs765 View Post
    Get your parents credit card number and place the order online at Tower Hobbies.
    hahahahahahahahaha
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by reyesjhs765 View Post
    Whoa there! Lets be smart about this. At least use a coupon code! Lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

And tell them you got it on sale.

Why not get a Rally? I think its the working-man's XO-1.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Im 50 and money isnt an issue but I still cant convince myself to buy one. Much of it is noted above with very limited use. Smooth long stretchs. Im afraid in my house it would be a very expensive shelf queen.

As a parent I could tell you my answer would be no with some colorfuls metaphors added in. For something that would spend most of its time on a shelf you could buy and build a 1/8 scale Lamborghini and customize what you can see to no end for less than $100 and it takes up the same space on the shelf and may even look better!

My wife and I dont argue with eachother about expenditures, probably mostly because we both have the same mindset. I can tell you with no doubt that if I was to drop $1K on this car she would drop hints of how I need to make an appointment with a shrink.
    find me a 1/8 scale lamborghini because I cant find one .

to be fair to xo-1 , even a 1/8 scale can run up to over 1000 . a buddy of mine just bought the serpant cobra roller $600 system $300 body $75 servo $65 wheels n tires $75 forget his $500 remote and thunder power lipos , over 1700 just to race a 1/8 electric car and people say the XO-1 to expensive ,
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC poster
    Look at me I always wanted a xo-1 since it came out I just waited for a while saved money and got me a used one for a deal,now trying to get it to work. But be patient and try doing some kind of work and show them your doing it next thing you know you got an xo-1.

*Watch the language. I've had to edit this post.*
    Last edited by Double G; 12-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.

RC Racer
    just save up, buy parts and put it together, you'll be saving a TON of money. or do what i did. told my fiancee that it was for work. just don't go and blow your cover like i did and buy a bunch of other stuff and use the same excuse thinking that it'll work again. ended up having to spend more money on a useless rock to make her happy
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 12-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.