RC Qualifier

fun factor vs cost of opperation

hey ive been offered a trade for a revo 3.3 and want to know how much fuel is and how long it lasts and is the truck fun to drive? does it break alot?

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Surprisingly compared to my t maxx, this thing sips fuel. Lasts 20 minutes for medium throttle. Truck is fun to drive and is a tank and never breaks! Not saying this because I want to trade mine with you, just because its the truth. But let others respond
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    thanks haha and ive heard awesome things im just worried about tuning and stuff this is my first nitro but im involved with cars and quads so i guess i would be fine!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, if you know your way around cars, its a breeze. I've been working on scale cars all my life and these are like soo easy compared to them

RC Racer
    A tank of fuel in mine used to last around 15 min, not sure how long it will last with the O.S engine I just put in though, still running it in. As for fuel cost, you would have to check your LHS. Their pretty strong but if you go doing big jumps & hitting stuff then you will break more parts, I have only broken 1 top left a-arm so far when I got in the way of my brother revo during the run in process, his revo hit the front left when reasonably hard so that would be expected. They are fun to drive, like any rc car is & the sound & smell of nitro makes it even better, get them on some rough terrain & they love it.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Champion
    A gallon of fuel is around $50. This would give you about 25 tanks at 15-20 mins per tank. Not sure how old the current engine is or what shape it is in so it's hard to say how long it may last. Breaking parts all depends on how you drive it. Tuning is not bad once you get the hang of it.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Qualifier
    Fuel here in PA is 25 bucks. Engine is basically new as well.

RC Qualifier
    and is it fun? fast? i have an electric slash 4x4 so would it be worth having a nitro around

RC Enthusiast
    just got mine and it's crazy durable compared to my nitro sport. Do it

RC Qualifier
    pesky is it a hard truck to operate? should i buy some upgrades?

RC Champion
    They are pretty durable. I drive mine pretty hard I've only broken a few items so far, front steering knuckle, 2 front pushrods, and a rear upper control arm.
    I've upgraded all the arms and knuckles to rpm parts and they are very strong.
    Ran one of my trucks into a telephone support cable 2 days ago, front drivers side wheel hit while going nearly full speed.
    Broke a pushrod and pulled both pivot balls out of the knuckle. I was surprised the rpm a-arms didn't break.
    Replaced the pushrod and screwed the pivot balls in and I was good to go.

Just figure how many tanks (Revos have either 125 or 150cc) you can fill from a gallon. Figure a tank lasts 10-15min and then do the multiplication.
    If you have not run nitro before, be ready for some frustration to learn how to tune. After that it's a breeze and fun. Some people love nitro others hate it. It's up to you.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    well idk now it seems like nitro is really expensive

RC Champion
    If fuel is only $25/gallon its not too bad. A gallon will get you 6-7 hours of run time. I wouldn't upgrade anything until something breaks.
    lots of mods

RC Qualifier
    ok so this is a pretty nice car and it would be a good first nitro over a traxxas mini electric?

RC Champion
    If you want to get into nitro, the revo is a great truck. I have a jato, rustler, and a revo. The revo gets the most run time. In a few weeks I'm starting an erevo build on the nrevo chassis to give electric a try.
    lots of mods

RC Qualifier
    alright well i think ill trade it and if i dont like nitro throw my mamba monster in there with the tekno kit!

RC Racer
    make sure you got alot of time on your hands to be tuneing the engine and now the wet and cold is coming and you cant drive the revo in the water like the electrics if the revo is a stock older modle then your gona need to get the new waterproof servos and your gona need a method of keeping that engine warm and your gona need to mod the stock air filter so u dont intake water, im just saying its not a plug and play like your use to, for one make sure u no how many tanks went in the engine as they dont last forever, nitro is sooooooooooo much differnt then what your use to and yes its gona keep costing money to run as in glow plugs and fuel glow plugs the cheapest u'll get is 5.99 each and i never saw them that cheap lol im just shooting low lol an as it being the same as full scal cars WRONG to differnt worlds i own a revo 3.3 savage 4.6 and a t-max and a slash 4x4 brushless , i got the slash for the winter cold time of year jus make sure you reead alot b4 you trade, and just to let ya no my slash blows my nitros away on the 3s and somw added weight

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by savingliberty View Post
    make sure you got alot of time on your hands to be tuneing the engine and now the wet and cold is coming and you cant drive the revo in the water like the electrics if the revo is a stock older modle then your gona need to get the new waterproof servos and your gona need a method of keeping that engine warm and your gona need to mod the stock air filter so u dont intake water, im just saying its not a plug and play like your use to, for one make sure u no how many tanks went in the engine as they dont last forever, nitro is sooooooooooo much differnt then what your use to and yes its gona keep costing money to run as in glow plugs and fuel glow plugs the cheapest u'll get is 5.99 each and i never saw them that cheap lol im just shooting low lol an as it being the same as full scal cars WRONG to differnt worlds i own a revo 3.3 savage 4.6 and a t-max and a slash 4x4 brushless , i got the slash for the winter cold time of year jus make sure you reead alot b4 you trade, and just to let ya no my slash blows my nitros away on the 3s and somw added weight
    Round of applause! That's a good one

RC Racer
    what do ya mean thats a good one, ? im just saying that what he got theres no running cost really compared to a nitro, and yes if you never touched one b4 ya better have some time on your hands lol i dont need to speek read the post on this site then tell me whats having more issues a nitro or a brushless set up???????

RC Qualifier
    Good one meaning, good overview of nitro

RC Racer
    With a bit of reading & patience, nitro isn't that hard to tune & use, once you know the basics of tuning the rest is reasonably easy & there is a lot of info & help around if its needed. You DON'T have to have water proof servo's, Just stay out of water & glow plug can be found cheaper than $5.99, look on ebay or A Main Hobbies, I have seen plugs on both for under that at different times, you just have to look & if you learn how to tune your engine then you won't go through that many plugs anyway. Fuel might cost a little bit extra but then batteries cost money to, & the charger & power to charge them. If you want nitro then its not about the cost, its the sound & smell that makes people like them, to me they are more realistic, they have an engine & sound just like a real car does. I live near a school & I can guarantee that every time I start my revo up in the street I have 30+ kids lined up at the fence & a couple of teachers, I have people driving past & stopping to ask questions, that never happened with electric. All it takes is a little mechanical knowledge & some time & patience & nitro is fine, if you don't have that then stick with your electrics. Its not that hard for most though.

RC Racer
    its not hard atall once you get the hang of it like when u get the revo tuned good you should only have to adjust your hsn whinch is good to set it every use , and with spark plugs its not good if you can sometimes get them cheap, and the cheap ones are not great the cheapest i use and love are os med plugs for my revo one thing you got to keep in mind tho is a nitro engine is not gona last as long as a electric brushless motor and thats even taking proper care of it and the stock engine is 120 130, batterys you buy only once and if you have a good charger they well last a long time, the piston and sleve well be the first to go on your nitro engine and thats 40-50 to replace, with a brushless you only need to replase bearings after a lot alot of use when your motor get warmer then it should replace the bearings and your motor is as good as new, 2ed hand nitros are scary sometimes, im not trying to bash nitros i love them i have 3 of them i love them for the reasons listed above the sound the smell the look of the smoke but nitros arent for everyone i no guys that are seeling off all there nitros to get brushless , and to convert a revo 3.3 to and bruhless its not that easy of a task and is not gona be like the factory set ups, make sure you ask the right questions b4 you trade for one iwas the engine tuned by the book? how much fuel was put thre the engine whats the ez-start like is it slippin how much oinch is left in the piston how is the back plate what are the brakes like are they worn etc

RC Racer
    The plugs I seen were Mcoy's, $2.99 or something like that on A Main, their a decent plug, I have just purchased 10 O.S plugs for $50 from ebay also so thats reasonably cheap to, you just have to find the specials. I have seen numerous pictures showing fire damage caused by Lipo batteries also, even ones charged in battery bags with the correct chargers & by people who know what they are doing, one recently showed the kitchen of a house completely burnt out. What I'm trying to get at is there is pro's & cons on both sides, nothing is perfect. It just seems there is a lot of people around who make nitro out to be so hard & so expensive but if you treat your gear properly & look after it then it won't cost that much. Nothing last forever though & it comes down to what you prefer & the only way to find out what something is like is to try it for yourself. Advice is good to have but people seem to scare others away from nitro when all it takes is a bit of patience & learning, read about the engines, learn how they work & what to look for, its really not that hard. Myself, I would rather get the satisfaction out of knowing I have set up & tuned an engine to perform at its best, not just plug in a battery & drive, thats to easy for me.
    As for second hand gear, well if you buy a second hand nitro engine then expect it to die, don't trust anyone because most people will tell you everything is fine just to sell something, whether it be RC or something else, always check & test the product if you can or spend a little extra & get something new.

RC Racer
    i agree 100% with that, and i also orderd the 10 plugs for 50-60 deal but the poster was tslking sbout money being an issue and if so 2ed had is not the way to go becuase of all the unseen issues, btw what was the trade for??? lol i dont even no that,

RC Champion
    The main thing turns me away from electric is the limited run time.
    If you want to run all day you'll need at least 3 sets of batteries to rotate between cooling and charging.
    E-revo means at least 6 batteries and a good dual lipo charger.

I do like the plug and play ease of electric though, since the nitro can be finicky at times.

RC Racer
    if you get a set of 2 good batterys and a great charger you can run for 30 mins and charge for 30mins and if you had a 3rd one you would be all set nitros have to cool down aswell its not good to run tank after tank after tank,

RC Racer
    i no my post sound like im bashing nitros lol i love them with a passio im just putting myself in the posters shoes lol someone who never touched a nitro and trasding for one in the opes that if it dont work out he said he would convert it into a brushless which is not that easy and dont feel the same , and the big thing is the nitro is 2ed hand thstd put up a red flag for me only 2ed had nitro i picked up the seller wanted 350 for and hpi savage 4.6 i went to get it and he couldent start it for me so i got him down to 150 noing that if i had to plase a moter init stell would be a good price, i was lucky i got it home clead the crab and engine out by taking it all apart there were alot of gumed up nitro she works fine and i got a body for her and sold her for 400 lol

RC Qualifier
    Valuable information, OP, please read everything here!

RC Racer
    with all that being said tho i made sure the pistpon had lots of pinch and the piston was clean of burnt oil and i made sure there was lots of life left in it and i was selling for ono after the guy saw me hit some jumps and i spent a cople hours with him showing him how to matane it and tune it he diddent try ti beat me down i got lucky lol and i told him he can bring it back within 2 weeks

RC Qualifier
    out of every thing i read, te thing i liked most was tuning alot! i love to tinker i wanna mess with it get it just right, not a plug and play type of thing like me slash 4x4 and rustler! so im gunna do it, it will take time but hey, i got time because if things are fun, you make time! thank you all for your opinions they were very helpful!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rckid97 View Post
    pesky is it a hard truck to operate? should i buy some upgrades?
    Definitely not hard to drive. If you can drive a nitro sport you can drive a revo.