RC Champion

1:1 tow straps: working load?

I was looking the other day at 1:1 tow straps but was a little confused by its rating. There is a working load and then the tensile strength 3 times larger. I was wondering how big of one I would need to safely pull a stuck vehicle. Is the working load rated at a dead lift strengh or a tow rating? Basically is a strap rated at a "working load" of 5000 lbs designed to dead lift or just tow a vehicle that weight?

I also know there is sometimes shock load when you try to pull a stuck vehicle. So if one were to use a full size SUV to pull another vehicle (upward of a similar full size truck/ suv) out of a ditch or buried in snow in the snow in the driveway what would be a safe rating to buy?

I am not too worried about myself. I spent a few years living and driving in northern Idaho, buy quality tires, and everything I own is 4WD or AWD. However most of everyone I know here is inexperienced in winter driving and have 2wd vehicles with highway tires. I am tired of digging or pushing out cars and/or running taxi for the duration of the snow and ice.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    Had to pull my 1000 pound forwheeler out yesterday after being suctioned down in mud up to the tranny. Used a 2000 lbs working load strap. Pulled out out with my tractor. Working load means just towing a vehicle. Dead lifting is like you said... for dead lifting. You should have seen what I tried to get the ATV out. Used some tie down straps first until they all snapped. Then got the big boy strao out and had no problem. I also have a 10,000 lbs tow strap in my F-350 for obvious reasons.
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

I would get a tow strap that is rated above the weight you need it for so if you pull out a stuck sedan, full size car like honda, impala that size then 5000 maybe ok but if you pull out smaller SUV's which happens sometimes then a 10,000lbs tow strap is best i would just get that above anything else because then you wouldnt need to buy another later on if you ever need it. Its what i do. I have a couple rated for 2000lbs only but i was going to pick up a 10,000lbs when i had my Silverado just incase.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Not to bust your chops or anything, but I honestly don't understand why you came to an rc site to ask about towing/pulling. A simple look on the web would give you the correct answers:

Working Load Limit (WLL)
    The maximum load capacity any given component or assembly should be subject to during use. US Cargo Control highly recommends the "working load limit" does not exceed 1/3 the "breaking strength capacity" of the component or assembly being used. Working load limits shown on this website are rated at 1/3 of the minimum breaking strength. Example: A ratchet strap rated at 6,000 pounds would have a working load limit of 2000 pounds.

Ultimate (Destructive) Test
    A straight tensile load test of the synthetic web tie down assembly tested to failure. The failure load is the average breaking strength value of a minimum of five test samples.

You also need to remember shock loads, such as an accident. A 2,000lb vehicle on a trailer can subject the straps to 4 to 6 times that weight in the event of an accident. Always use bigger straps than you need, and more of them.
    Last edited by PMDRACER; 12-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    Not to bust your chops or anything, but I honestly don't understand why you came to an rc site to ask about towing/pulling. A simple look on the web would give you the correct answers:
    I guess I could have called a manufactuer.

I asked on the R/C forum because its (A) a forum I frequent and (B) has a good mix of people with different background but most are mechanically inclined and are also 1:1 car/truck/boat/cycle/camper/ATV enthusiasts. Ya know things you haul, ergo tow strap experience. I wouldn't ask on a crochet forum.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-04-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    So from what I am reading the "working load" is a towing load, the weight of the vehicle. A 5k strap would be fine on a car/ small utlity but to pull out a big SUV or truck I want a 10k strap?
    Pay It Forward.

I have always read that you want a minimum of 20k snatch strap. That will stretch then retract, a strap will simply stretch then most likely stay stretched. You should consider that when you pull on a stuck car you should rate the strap by the weight of the tow vehicle and towed one, since when you pull on the stuck car it doesn't always move so all that force has to be absorbed by the strap.

Sent from my Torch!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    This link can help, & yes bigger is always better.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/sna...bs-p-6549.html

I ran a 73 Bronco 39'' Mudders with 520hp. I could bore you with many stories, But Iv seen and heard a lot of straps brake. The sound they make when they snap will make you jump. I know I will never forget it.

Please be safe when doing this!!
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    Yet you provided some excellent information,,,, thank you...

I was wondering the same myself... I would think someplace that supports those in the "Wrecker/TowTruck Heavy Equipment/Riggers" type fields would really know the ins and outs of them...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    I have always read that you want a minimum of 20k snatch strap...
    20k working or 20k breaking strength? The biggest one at the store is a 10k working/30k breaking. $60 for 30 ft.
    Pay It Forward.

here you go:
    this is what you need.

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-r...ipment/straps/

notice there are no working or breaking strength just min breaking strength, get a strap rated for the weight of your vehicle plus the towed vehicle or just get the heaviest one you can if you don't know what you plan on towing.

RC Qualifier
    What about a chain?
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    What about a chain?
    Ever seen what a chain does when it breaks? It makes a total mess of the vehicle when it hits it.
    Straps are much safer.

OCD, a 10K working/30K breaking should do you fine.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

A chain is good for simple towing no snatching or shock load. If all you were doing was pulling cars out of a ditch and you had the traction and weight on your vehicle to simply pull them out it would be ok to use a chain. But I would still want a strap that has some elasticity, and most straps can take more of a load than a chain can and don't weigh nearly as much.

In reality their is no safe way to tow someone out, there is always a risk of damage or injury no matter how you do it. A winch cable could break, a tow strap could break, a tow point on a vehicle could break...but using the strongest equipment possible makes the danger less likely.

RC Champion
    A snatch strap has a 5:1 saftey factor, flat webbing slings have a 7:1 saftey factor

Lifting chain (not the hardware junk) has between 4:1 & 7:1 depending on the application

Wire slings are usually 5:1

This is for Australia at least not 100% sure about the US but wouldn't be too far off these

RC Champion
    In such a situation bigger is better. Especially since current cars are extra heavy and remembering the weights of older ones takes a lot of effort.

Also avoid snatch straps with metal hooks on them. Yes they work but its not uncommon to have the hook break thus causing all sorts of other problems.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    What about a chain?
    Chains kill people because they snap and swing in an arc at a high rate of speed. Jeepers use straps or cable winches.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...