RC Racer

entry level for youngster

I have a good friend that wants to get something for his grandson, better than the walmart rc's he has now. But, he doesn't want to spend over $100 rtr? Any ideas for me? I thought about looking for a used 1/16 or 1/10th brushed, but even then I think anything in that price range will be pretty rough. I think a 1/10 pede or digger would be best and even pushed towards the 1/16th digger with the backpack, but it is just too much for a 5th grader with no help. I want to mentor this young lad and even have talked about making a track somewhere he and I could run my stuff. But it'd be nice if he had his own for his sake. I'm fine with repairing mine and letting him use them, but it's about him having something cool too, ya know?
    open to any advice

Thanks
    Joel
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

RC Qualifier
    for 100 dollars rtr your not gonna find anything..
    A pede is a great starter truck for a fifth grader but it's around the 200 mark. I would recommend the pede..

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Racer
    Thanks guys! That's kinda what I thought. I'll get him into a pede or slash as soon as money and his skills allow.

Joel

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What I have done in the past is to get a used RC as cheap as possible...
    The last time I did this the RC ended up being a eMaxx. I fixed it up and sold the bling upgrades that it came with. I ended up having about $225 into it including a slow peak NiMh charger and a couple of NiMh's. The kid could only afford $120, so I took that and gave him the RC; considering the $120 as full payment, with the parents' permission.
    The way I figure, if this kid is willing to shovel snow all winter and mow grass all summer for an RC, this RC just might help him keep out of trouble. Who am I to put a monetary value on the difference between a kid with no direction, which usually leads to trouble; or a kid with direction and something to focus on.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Thanks Jimmy. I agree completely. Grandpa just doesn't wasn't me to give him one right now. The has no money, parents aren't involved etc... Want to give him something fun in life to focus on, to give him a chance. I work as head of maint for a School district and see kids like him all the time. Even thought of starting an RC club and making a track on our property, but not sure I have the time to invest right now.

Thanks again
    Joel

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    There are lots of $100 RTR rustlers and stampede's out there. They may be older or a little "used" but he'll have a blast with it and can upgrade it later on down the road. Thats the beauty of this platform. The possibilities are endless and NO version of the stampede or rustler are "outdated".

If you keep your eyes on the market place and e-bay you can usually find an RTR brushed Rustler or Stampede for right around $100... ive bought a few of them over the years.

Quick search of ebay turned this up...
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Traxxas-Rustl...#ht_500wt_1413
    believe it or not, this would make a great starter truck. A $20 radio (or free if you find someone willing to give up an old AM setup) and a $20 battery/wall charger combo would get him up and running. Or, a $25 upgrade charger... You could easily get into this truck, RTR for $100... it just takes a bit of work.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-13-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Too bad I feel Nitro is too much for a beginner... I just saw an ad for two older tMaxx's for $150obo. They had LOTS of parts and upgrades, but no good motors; but $100 (I bet they would take it, cash talks!) for two RC's is killer!

RC Racer
    Yup. I may just sell my merv that is on the mp to my buddy and take a hit. I just think a Merv us a bit much for a beginner. But if I put it on training mode and he just uses nihm batts, should be fine. I may do that, gear it down too. Then he can always use lipos and/or sport mode when he gets the hang of it.

Id rather do a 1/10 pede as that's a bit simpler and bigger = more cool factor sometimes.

RC Racer
    Well, just paid for a pede roller on the mp. I'll donate a vxl system or look for another too add. Brushed its probably fine, but as cheap as bl systems are, why not.
    Thanks for the responses

RC Qualifier
    whats mp guys?!?!
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    whats mp guys?!?!
    The traxxas market place
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Stuie, that's great to hear. I think you'll have a new RC buddy and Grandpa just went up a couple of notches to, Its good to hear stuff like this. THANKS, to YOU & GRANDPA!!!!
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Who knows how many this will effect... it could draw in more kids that need something other than boredom to focus on. No matter what their age. I have seen actions like this draw in fathers that usually don't know what to do with their kids into something that they both like doing together.

Sometimes the sacrifice is way smaller than the benefit.