Thread: Tactical Rifles

RC Champion

Tactical Rifles

I own a couple of guns and I believe they're vital assets, especially in the times we live in today.
    I'm looking around for something that is more powerful, something that is better adapted to protect my property and family if need be. Plus I do a little hunting on the side.

I'm looking specifically at combat rifles, preferably rimfire, (unless someone can convince me otherwise haha, the price of amo for the centerfire models is crazy -- not gonna go into why this is true haha).
    I want to spend around $500-$600, and eventually get the add-ons such as scopes and lasers.

Do any of you guys recommend a certain brand or type of rifle? I definitely want it to be semi auto.
    Thank you guys

Something like this ---- http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    Last edited by 1979chevy.; 11-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ruger 10/22 in an archangel nomad stock. It's an exact copy of a G36 in every dimension but has the 10/22's infamous reliability. I'm going on 3000 rounds through mine, cleaned it only one time and it never even flinches. With the cheap truglo sight I have on it I can put 5 rounds in a 3 inch circle at 50 yards standing up. I mounted an cheap summons 6-18x40 scope earlier in the summer and shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with bulk ammo. Get some butler creek steel lips mags and your all set. Total cost would be around $500. The only other one I'd suggest is the roger SR22 but its much heavier and costs more but uses the same basic action.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Your not going to find a rim fire gun that is not a "plinker". Most rim fires are smaller caliber guns like a 22 or 17HMR wich is no good for hunting, except chicken or rabbit. Look into A SKS They shoot 7.69x something ammo which is just as cheap as a 22 to shoot The last 5 years company's hve been coming out with hunting rifles that use that caliber.

RC Qualifier
    As for a tactical 22, look at the sig 522. Should be right around 600 with a used eotech. Gun is some 400-450 I think. Eotech would run around 209-250 used.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-21-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Content

RC Racer
    That rifle the op linked is awesome, for what a .22 is used for. Ive used mine for tree rats many times with great sucess, nice accurate gun. Buuut when the crap hits the fan... Youll want something bigger then a .22 for sure.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-21-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Content

RC Qualifier
    You can look into .22 mag, or .17 hmr. That would be about as big rimfire as you can find. Magnum reasearch is making the ruger 10/22 in .22 mag. That is tried and true action, that you can build alost anything out of. Another small round is the 5.7x28, it is center fire, ammo is not way expensive, and you can get it in a handgun, or an ar platform upper. You can also do hand gun caliber upper's on the ar platform. Then you can have a hand gun and a rifle in the same caliber. That can be very handy at times. Just some of my opinions.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Thanks for coming back on topic, westoakmech.

Everybody: please stay on topic.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I own a ruger 10/22 ,bought it when I was 15 ,Im 47 now and still use it once in a while to shoot ground hogs and small vermine.Gun still shoots like a champ.I recieved a Savage model 11 .223 cal as a xmas gift last year use it on coyotes its not rim fire cartrige but ammo is reasonably priced.

RC Champion
    Have you thought about doing reload's yourself? My friend's father inlaw is a professional sport pistol shooter and he say's that doing reload's himself he save's $1,000.00 a year.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

The other cheap option as has been suggested is a gun that shoots surplus ammo like 7.62X39. For you americans you can pick up an AK pretty cheap. In canada AK's are prohibited so the closest I could get was a CSA VZ58. The nice thing about 7.62X39 is that you can buy 1400 rounds of surplus for about $300 or so to just play around with, then you can go pick up some good quality hunting ammo when you want to get more serious. Sure, not alot of people hunt with an AK or VZ but you CAN do it. An SKS is another good option but requires alot of extra stuff to be "tactical".

Heres a pic of my VZ58...

I also found a better shot of the 10/22 Nomad:

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I like that 10/22. I did the archangel ar stock for my son. He loves it. Very well made product.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    You can never go wrong with an M-16, (or AR-15 for civilians, I suppose.)
    "Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The other cheap option as has been suggested is a gun that shoots surplus ammo like 7.62X39. For you americans you can pick up an AK pretty cheap. In canada AK's are prohibited so the closest I could get was a CSA VZ58. The nice thing about 7.62X39 is that you can buy 1400 rounds of surplus for about $300 or so to just play around with, then you can go pick up some good quality hunting ammo when you want to get more serious. Sure, not alot of people hunt with an AK or VZ but you CAN do it. An SKS is another good option but requires alot of extra stuff to be "tactical".

Heres a pic of my VZ58...

I also found a better shot of the 10/22 Nomad:

Sexy guns pave. Is that vz58 clip pinned at 5?

Unfortunately, yes... it is. I have fired this gun with more rounds and its awesome. But I have no interest in having my guns confiscated and/or going to jail so I keep them all pinned at 5. You can get a different magwell adapter that allows the use of 10 round pistol mags and its completely legal. But the receiver has to be machined for it all to fit and I dont want to do that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Very nice guns, thanks for the input guys. Pave are you a collector?
    And I'm not picky with what I hunt with, I do short range more than long so a 12 gauge with a good slug would work for me.

Not a collector, I just like tactical guns... alot.

Speaking of shot guns, heres my Remington 870... probably the best all round shot gun ever made. if you can only own one, this is probably the best. This is a tactical version but obviously you can get an 870 in just about any configuration possible.

Im into longer range shooting right now. My cheaper to shoot choice was a Savage 93r .17hmr with a boyds tacticool stock. I love this gun.

Then to really reach out and put holes in stuff... I picked up this Savage 10 BA in .308... this is one beast of a gun. But it shoots amazing.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Awesome, yes I actually have an 870, (black finish - not combat style though) and I agree it is a great shotgun.
    Only had it lock up once and that was a user issue haha.

Last edited by 1979chevy.; 11-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Awesome, yes I actually have an 870, (black finish - not combat style though) and I agree it is a great shotgun.
    Only had it lock up once and that was a user issue haha.

now that is what i am trying to get or something similar. here i think i came across a few shotguns around 350-450.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I would definitely recommend it, very powerful for its size.
    It cost about $325 here in MS. Bass Pro Shops.

How about this stock Ruger 10/22 straight from the factory set up AR style? I've seen them for about $425 US

You can get a Ruger 10/22 with plain synthetic stock for less.

Or a Marlin .22 bolt action for cheap.

I just bought a Romanian WASR AK47 for $545 US and picking it up Monday. 1,000 rounds of FMJ ammo goes for about $230 US. I have a couple SKS's and they're cheap in price but really a pain to convert into guns that take a 20-round clip.

Or the Prepper Special: Buy a Mosin Nagant 7.62x54 bolt action + 880 rounds of ammo for about $300 US

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

That first gun is a rugger SR22, which is a 10/22 action in a full metal chassis. It's a lot of money for a gun that doesn't have a proper 25 round magazine included. You can build a nomad like I have for similar money and have a nicer gun IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I like 204's
    Never trust a fart.