Thread: Motor rebuild

RC Racer

Motor rebuild

Hi. I posted this in another section but no answers yet so i was wondering if any of you could help me out..
    I went to rebuild the VXL 380 in my mini but i could not find a way to remove those tiny scres on the endbell. What,is needed to remove them??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a very small screwdriver!
    one of those jeweler screwdriver set

RC Racer
    Isnt it a hex though?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbash4x4 View Post
    Isnt it a hex though?

No, its a TORX size T5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gk3833-New-S...item415e4b256e

You should get one of those sets it is good to have them handy for cases like that,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torx-Slotted...item5d35367555

RC Qualifier
    I found one at the local hobby shop and it was a hex I think 1mm to open the motor, nothing really to rebuild though, just clean the inside out a bit and bearings
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Racer
    Holy next task try and find a 1mm hex

RC Racer
    Well, I didn't know they were supposed to be 1MM and I found an English .050 hex driver fit perfectly so I used that when I needed to take a Velineon 380 apart for cleaning.

Given that 1MM is .039 inches and a .050 driver fit with no effort to put it in the hex, I seriously doubt if they are actually 1MM.

Why you would find an English sized hex on a metric screw escapes me (interestingly the diff cup screws on a Losi SCTE are metric but also take an English hex driver) but since it worked, I will not complain.

RC Qualifier
    No I said I think it was 1mm, this was almost a year ago and I sold my tools with my 1/16 slash so you're probably right

Lol I actually just found my old mini slash on kijiji lastnight and picked it back up after 8 months.. I'll get pics up later
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    It is NOTa hex, read 6 posts above...
    Sure, you can open it with appropriate hex, but eventually you will strip the screw ...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc777 View Post
    It is NOTa hex, read 6 posts above...
    Sure, you can open it with appropriate hex, but eventually you will strip the screw ...
    Well, I have three different Traxxas 380 VXL motors in my possession and they all have endbell screws that are .050 hex drive. I've got a number of small Torx bits ranging from T5 up that I use for taking apart disk drives so I know what Torx bits are. None of the screws in my 380 VXL motors have the internal lobe structure characteristic of Torx drive (even when looking at them with a 10 power jeweler's magnifier). While two of those motors were used when I acquired them, one is from a new vehicle. So I'd say hex drive is more common than Torx on the VXL 380.

Maybe someone changed the screws on your motor before you got it? How many Traxxas VXL 380s do you have with Torx drive screws for the endbell?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
    Maybe someone changed the screws on your motor before you got it? How many Traxxas VXL 380s do you have with Torx drive screws for the endbell?
    I have only one Traxxas VXL 380 and I assumed that all are the same, but I guess I was wrong. I bought a new Merv, so chances that someone changed the screws are very flat. I will however check the screws on my motor again when I get home.