RC Qualifier

Is the Coron DS-238MG Servo Waterproof?

Is the Corona ds-238mg servo waterproof?
    "With Great Speed Comes Great Repair Bills!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would pm airmaxx

RC Qualifier
    Ok I did that but why did you think I should do that?

RC Qualifier
    ^dont worry about that^ I just realized airmaxx has that servo.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertron2000 View Post
    ^dont worry about that^ I just realized airmaxx has that servo.
    It is not waterproof but you can use any method you want to do it.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    how do I waterproof it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I haven't waterproofed a servo in a long time, I used to fill them with dielectric grease and it always worked. I'll probably combine a couple of different methods when I do the servo in my winter MERV.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Would the corona ds-238mg servo still work if it just got splashed with water or went through a puddle without full submerging it?
    Last edited by hammertron2000; 12-06-2012 at 12:21 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertron2000 View Post
    Would the corona ds-238mg servo still work if it just got splashed with water or went through a puddle without full submerging it?
    It would probably be fine but it's a risk you'll have to decide to take on your own. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much since they are only $8 to replace.

RC Qualifier
    What's your preferred way of water proofing it then?

RC Qualifier
    I use silicone window sealant to put a bead around the seams of the case. You can use any kind of silicone, I just prefer something on the heavy duty end. Then a good sized glob of real thick grease (axle bearing grease is good) on/around the servo splines. It's easily removable if you decide you dont like it for some reason or need to swap out gear sets.

If you dont mind opening up the servo then airmaxx's way would work great and be invisable. Just be sure the grease is non conductive.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMajekalBum View Post
    I use silicone window sealant to put a bead around the seams of the case. You can use any kind of silicone, I just prefer something on the heavy duty end. Then a good sized glob of real thick grease (axle bearing grease is good) on/around the servo splines. It's easily removable if you decide you dont like it for some reason or need to swap out gear sets.

If you dont mind opening up the servo then airmaxx's way would work great and be invisable. Just be sure the grease is non conductive.
    Dielectric grease has always worked great for me and that's probably what I'll use this time around as well.