RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Stock 4S speeds?

I have an aquacraft Motley crew I run on 4S. Its stock other than a metal prop (stock size and pitch). Its more than fast enough for me and I like it. But I just bought a spartan and am wondering, how are 4S speeds? Ive tried to find a decent video on youtube that illustrates stock 4S speeds but all the videos I find are either of modified boats or are from stupid angles that dont really give a good idea of how fast the boat actually is.

I only own 2S packs, thats why im sticking with 4S... im not going to go out and buy new 3S packs just to run in a boat every once and a while. So if its not fast enough, whats the answer? Higher KV motor or faster prop? I dont want heat problems. I can run my Motley Crew wide open all day and it never overheats. i like the simplicity of that. So whatever I end up with in the spartan I really just want it to be reliable and not suffer from heat issues.

Anyone have any experience they can share?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Run the 2 x 2s packs and Octura x442 prop, you wont have to deal with heat/cooling issues running 4s, even 5s is good.

Running 4s you could expect high 30's even low 40s depending on the water conditions. 5s is low 40's to mid 40's and 6s is high 40's to low 50's, again depending on Conditions and prop.

The x442 is a metal version of the stock prop. The stock prop will be great on 4s, and you might not even notice much of a performance difference.
    Last edited by jetnfast; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks for the info man. I have no idea how fast my motley crew is so I have no idea comparable the Spartan will be. Ill run the stock prop at first and see how it feels. Im sure heat wont be a problem right now as the lake is half covered with ice... im thinking the water is fairly chilly. Im just hoping it doesnt completely freeze over by tomorrow afternoon before I get to run the boat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The stock prop. will work fine with the 2s, if you want a better prop. to prevent accidental breakage go with a metal props. and be sure to balance & sharpen it.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Enthusiast
    Your Motley Crew will be alil faster on 4s being it is a cat with 20% slip and a mono/deepv has 25% but all in all it will be a fun relaxing ride.. I just put my stock esc back in today i may try a few runs on 4s tomorrow as well and see how it goes..
    Last edited by Jim82; 12-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Got it out today and ran it on 4S... not really very exciting. My Motley Crew is WAY faster. It handles great and looks amazing on the water. Its also bigger than I expected but the speeds are not what I was expecting. Temps were literally cool to the touch after a full 8000mah run (nearly all full throttle). So that was good. Im sure i could prop it up a bit. But Im just not sure this is the boat for me. I was hoping for more speed.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    if u wanna get something fast on 4s u gonna have to get a 2200kv motor or so

yeah, thats what im gathering. My MC is great on 4S with its 1800kv motor... im happy with those speeds.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    try some different props like x642,m445,m545,220,and 225.. what prop do u run with your MC?

The MC has a stock pitch metal replacement. Its a much smaller boat though... but I thought the KV was similar and figured running both on 4S would produce similar speeds. Maybe the prop on the spartan is a vastly different pitch or something.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas Spartan 4s P225 on youtube hits 39mph.. Have u watched it?

RC Enthusiast
    Just got from the pond running 4s and a m445 prop..GPS at 45mph!! and that was actually really fun and relaxing.Temps where all below 100f soon as i get some more props i wanna try i will let ya know how it goes when i do..
    Last edited by Jim82; 12-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Cool... everything else is stock? Where do you get these props. I generally like to buy from ebay or tower. But if I knew where else to go id look into it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    offshoreelectrics has them already s&b and so does rocketcityracing.com... and yes that is all stock except motor cooling jacket,dual rudder pickup, and the m445 prop.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a y547prop ima try tomorrow. I know its probably gonna be to much but what the heck. Im gonna make one round and check the temps.

RC Enthusiast
    So far with y547 i got 48.5mph

RC Enthusiast
    change that to 53.6 now!!