RC Competitor

new motor/ esc choice

hello i am looking at a new motor to race with i have the strc lcg, so now need a good motor esc. Is the vxl have any chance at wining? i also want a sensored set up like the pro4/rx8 but thats way too much money so i have found a tecon sensored 4800kv and brushless hobbies 120a esc would those work?

RC Enthusiast
    Xerun 2200kv 4274sd 150a

RC poster
    just make sure whatever you do. make sure and follow up any recomendations on the manufacture sight.I to have the slash 4x4 and i went through the whole forum what motor/esc do you recomend thing followed a few recomendations cause i like you didnt want to drop the money in the tekin system well i ended up burning up castle junk in a week and there tech support are complete as***. i pulled the castle junk out and purchased the tekin rx8 and pro4 4600..couldnt be happier with the tekin my suggestion is bite the bullet early on and get the tekin system...

RC Enthusiast
    Big hater here......

Tekin is overpriced
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_smurf View Post
    just make sure whatever you do. make sure and follow up any recomendations on the manufacture sight.I to have the slash 4x4 and i went through the whole forum what motor/esc do you recomend thing followed a few recomendations cause i like you didnt want to drop the money in the tekin system well i ended up burning up castle junk in a week and there tech support are complete asses. i pulled the castle junk out and purchased the tekin rx8 and pro4 4600..couldnt be happier with the tekin my suggestion is bite the bullet early on and get the tekin system...

Check what your LHS rules are for racing. Also what type of track? What size of jumps ( 2ft , 10") ?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor

well here is the track its pretty big as 1/8th scale buggies race there, but its fun. The only rules for the track is a 540 motor
    and 2s lipo. i really like th pro4 and rx8 but that is 250 just for motor and esc where as the tacon 4800kv is 4 pole and brushlesshobbies 120a both combined is the price of just the pro4 motor

if the picture doesnt show its loganville rc speed way

RC Racer
    must be your lucky day for opinions...im using the "wing" xerun 120 and tacon 4800 4pole (black/red caps)

my 7cell nimh batteries keep up well but overheat like no other, while hard running i saw a max temp of 170 on one of my packs, others i saw around 140-150's. ive been told the heat is caused from the high kv rating of the motor and i should step it down some...but ive also heard lipo's are another cure. overall, im very happy with my combo...both paid and shipped for just under $190. not bad for a sensored combo(sensor wire not included with either item) also, this esc is noticeably lightly than the stock vxl...though i havnt weighed it, i swear i can feel a difference.

also, your pic didnt show up
    Last edited by supradrew; 12-01-2012 at 10:42 PM.