RC Qualifier

Stock Castle ESC/Motor Heat problem Solved

I'm reposting this for you newer guyz, and for Edge. I posted this once, but I found out (this is for you DoubleG) if you move the pictures in your PhotoBucket account, it changes the address of the picture, and the pictures will disappear from your Traxxas post.

With this Mod all (batteries included) my running temperatures are 30 degrees above the water temperature. I run all stock, and use either two Traxxas 3S 6400 25C, or four Traxxas 3S 5000 25C (10,000 25C) batteries.

First you want two seperate water lines.

You also, want the CC Cap Pack which you see here mounted behind the ESC.

Next, build and install a set of water cooled heat sinks for the ESC and CC Cap Pack. You also, want to shorten your Battery wires to 2 inches. My ESC wires are 3 inches. My Traxxas batteries have the Traxxas connectors, and I have had no problem with them. Also, the Traxxas connectors are re-usable.

Front View:

Rear View:

CC Cap Pack and Mount Drawing:

CC Cap Pack / ESC Water Cooled Heat Sink Drawing:

Electronic Tray Layout Drawing:

This winter, I will post (mainly for Edge) step-by-step photos of how to solder up a set of water cooled heat sinks. Anyway like I said, this is a repeat, but for those of you who want to run stock electronics (as I do) this will solve your stock electronics's heat problem.

RC Qualifier
    Way to go Reglardude thanks for reposting, I'm sure a lot of us are willing to do this, this project on me is still on hold for I have enough time before summer ( snow is in the water now ) I'm building my other toys as well (I'll PM You the images), once I'm done I'll go into it and ask you more questions, I bought everything on the tools I need, 60w & 100w soldering iron, had also the dremel 3000 LOL!
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 12-01-2012 at 06:50 AM.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    I understand the dual pickup, water jacket on motor, shorter wires.

But whats the problem I'll run into without the CC cap pack, and do they really need cooling?

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Before I did this I was getting 180 degree temps on my Motor and ESC. I read some posts, and one of them was about the CC Cap Pack. Some guys just used Radio Shack caps, and they all went with the bigger motor cooling jacket and dual port rudders. From what I read, the CC Cap pack would (or Radio Shack caps) drop the temps 30 degrees. I wanted a little better than that, so I made the water cooled heat sinks. As I said above, I run 30 degrees above water temp, and have had no heat issues.

After today, I won't be able to write for a while, but I will be back home just before Christmas. Take care you guys, and have a nice holiday season.

RC Qualifier
    Good work Reglar dude.

I just swapped over to a 180 ESC and things are running well. If I ever go back to the stock ESC, I will try your mod. Based on my experience soldering, that cross of pos and neg wires to the cap pack looks tough to do in that tight space, but you obviously proved it could be done successfully! I guess I just dont like soldering!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, that was a little tuff. I would of liked to of had the +/- to of been in the reversed position. I did first try pulling, reversing, and reinstalling the caps in the opposite position. But,I was concerned about keeping the four cap's integrity. I thought long and hard on that aspect of the mod. Eventually, I bought another CC Cap Pack, and did the ol' wire criss-cross thing.

Here you go Danielhawkinso.

You don't have to do what I did, but maybe you can get some ideas. Most guys do the dual port rudder, the cooling jacket, the two water lines, and add a couple of Radio Shack caps to the ESC. With that set up you'll run about about 50-60 degrees above water temps (which is good) (stock temps is about 100-110 degrees above water temps). Of course, all this is due to wanting to run 6s Lipo's. As Mr. Edge and I have said in your post, with 4s Lipo's you'll have good battery life without any heat issues.

With my set up you'll run 30 degrees above water temps (which is what I wanted). My goal was to keep my boat all stock. I didn't want to buy a Spartan boat for 400 dollars, and then turn around and put another 300 dollars into it by removing/replacing the electronics...especially, if I ever wanted to go to a more aggressive prop.

My Water Cooled Heat Sinks cost me less than 10 dollars to make. Down the road, Im going to post pictures of how to actually make the Water Cooled Heat Sinks for my buddy Mr. Edge, and for those who need a litter more instruction.

Well, I made another heat-sink, and took pictures as I did. I'll post them for you guyz shortly.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-23-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: post merge